2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Four (27 July)

Karen-W

Japan beat the US at softball.

I'm not surprised. Even after the US beat them yesterday in the last game of pool play, I thought this was Japan's to lose. The US had practically no offense the entire tournament and it finally came back to bite them in today's game.

Karen-W

I'm watching the dressage medal ceremony and can I just say that I appreciate the sparkly/decorative helmets? I never noticed those before but I like it!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm watching the dressage medal ceremony and can I just say that I appreciate the sparkly/decorative helmets? I never noticed those before but I like it!
The helmets are fairly new, they used to wear top hats. So it doesn't surprise me the helmets got a sparkle upgrade!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Watching them trying to get the masks back on under their helmet straps was also hilarious :lol:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I didn't see this fluff piece. What I saw yesterday was a coach getting passionately excited about his athlete's success. Winning Olympic gold isn't a small feat.

I also saw comments calling him an asshole only being made after the race, Titmus' win and the coach's celebration, not before, when I assume the fluff piece aired.

And literally everyone you are talking to is commenting on the training piece they saw and the way he spoke to her. Not his celebration. Which they told you multiple times.

It’s not an attack on AUS. It’s an observation about an individual who appears to behave like a jerk.

No, no. Everything is an attack on her faves.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
And literally everyone you are talking to is commenting on the training piece they saw and the way he spoke to her. Not his celebration. Which they told you multiple times.
No I was commenting on both hahaha. Humping the plastic and aggressively throwing off your mask as a volunteer has to jump away from you is not cool.

Gazpacho

Is this necessary? Her team said she pulled out due for mental reasons. I believe them. She has been under a incredible amount of pressure. I’m not surprised she cracked. I just hope she'll be ok.
I speculated on the gymnastics thread that Simone had a panic attack. Panic attacks can throw off your sense of balance, so it would have been dangerous for her to continue competing.

love_skate2011

wow totally unexpected, gymnasts are smelling blood on Biles, she is not guaranteed of the all-around gold now.
I have a feeling this is the start of a pendulum swing ?

remember when Yulia won gold in Sochi ? This wont be the last Time Russian ladies will wing gold
they might dominate figure skating style and rhyhtmic gymnastics.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I speculated on the gymnastics thread that Simone had a panic attack. Panic attacks can throw off your sense of balance, so it would have been dangerous for her to continue competing.
This is a good theory and wouldn't surprise me. I don't have panic attacks but when I have an anxiety attack, I can't breathe. I can only imagine how much worse a panic attack is.

Susan1

You know how we were talking about some horses liking to show off? I get that feeling from this horse. This horse is amazing and he KNOWS it!
I can't watch all this stuff. I fell in love with an all black horse on Sunday. I don't even know how the whole thing turned out. I don't remember where the horse (or rider, of course) was from or the name or the flight? (wait, heat?) it was in. It seems like it had two syllables that both started with an S - not any kind of common word or name. Like Shoshone, but not! I'm sure somebody here knows. He/she? stepped so high in what I am told now is the passage, going so fast and hesitating at the same time, it was like a stopped picture each time, floating. The brown horses I saw just weren't as crisp. Fascinating, anyway.

p.s. - there are all kinds of articles now about the volleyball players wearing bikini bottoms. I don't follow any of these things. I don't know why I thought I was the only one who noticed it, especially when that was the angle they kept showing when one of them was bending over to serve the ball.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This is a good theory and wouldn't surprise me. I don't have panic attacks but when I have an anxiety attack, I can't breathe. I can only imagine how much worse a panic attack is.

These are actually just two words for the same thing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Not exactly.

Okay, that's not what the source I double checked said, but I am in an appointment, so I can't find where I was right now. I stand corrected.

Lacey

Is this necessary? Her team said she pulled out due for mental reasons. I believe them. She has been under a incredible amount of pressure. I’m not surprised she cracked. I just hope she'll be ok.

I feel so sorry for Simone.

She has been doing more and more astoundingly difficult tricks. Aside from the excellence of each one, was anyone considering the overall lasting lifetime effect of these elements on her body? I have been so worried that she would get hurt.

Whoever put that GOAT label on her (and did NBC promote it in order to get viewership?) didn't think:
that can only be measured in centuries, not in the usually about 8-10-12 years of a gymnast's career, certainly not all time?

YES, she was and has been great, but keep it in perspective, great for this Olympic 4 year cycle and maybe the next--not sure any woman has done three.

She has carried this team long enough, let her finish well and retire. Or let her come back and specialize in her favorite event, but not everything. And it's ok to not expect miracles. She's human.

Susan1

I can't watch all this stuff. I fell in love with an all black horse on Sunday. I don't even know how the whole thing turned out. I don't remember where the horse (or rider, of course) was from or the name or the flight? (wait, heat?) it was in. It seems like it had two syllables that both started with an S - not any kind of common word or name. Like Shoshone, but not! I'm sure somebody here knows. He/she? stepped so high in what I am told now is the passage, going so fast and hesitating at the same time, it was like a stopped picture each time, floating. The brown horses I saw just weren't as crisp. Fascinating, anyway.

p.s. - there are all kinds of articles now about the volleyball players wearing bikini bottoms. I don't follow any of these things. I don't know why I thought I was the only one who noticed it, especially when that was the angle they kept showing when one of them was bending over to serve the ball.
o.k. I am so confused. I think I just turned on NBCSN and that was "my" horse. Salvina from the United States, which sounds familiar. She had white back feet. She did the passage (pronounced like massage) just like the one from Sunday, like a merry-go-round horse. And the skipping (whatever that is called) was adorable. It's the team comp. She only got one 9. I'd give her 11s. ha

Susan1

And GOAT has meant Greatest of all Time for at least 20 years.
I don't follow all sports. I just remember it being used for Michael Phelps and wondering why they thought he was terrible, till I found out it was the initials G.O.A.T. I still went "huh" when they used it for the Jeopardy tournament. Then, "oh yeah", initials. I've never heard any skaters referred to as GOATs.

OlieRow

I almost typed this but thought I was being too mean hahaha. I agree though. She seems super unpleasant. Maybe that's just her racing persona idk. I'm not sad she lost though.

I think it's more her racing persona? There was a fluff on her at trials about her student teaching as a PE teacher in an elementary school. She came across as much more likable there.

RoseRed

Watching them trying to get the masks back on under their helmet straps was also hilarious :lol:
It's such a pain. And worse in the winter, when you'd have some kind of headband/ear covering also under the helmet.
o.k. I am so confused. I think I just turned on NBCSN and that was "my" horse. Salvina from the United States, which sounds familiar. She had white back feet. She did the passage (pronounced like massage) just like the one from Sunday, like a merry-go-round horse. And the skipping (whatever that is called) was adorable. It's the team comp. She only got one 9. I'd give her 11s. ha
Salvino is so beautiful. I've always loved dark coloured horses like that. He's technically considered a dark bay (dark brown), rather than a true black according to his FEI bio. The white feet are called socks, by the way. And we also refer to horses with multiple white markings as having "chrome" sometimes, which some people think makes them look fancier in competition.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think it's more her racing persona? There was a fluff on her at trials about her student teaching as a PE teacher in an elementary school. She came across as much more likable there.
Oh well that's nice. I still find the racing persona unnecessary, but it's nice to know there's something else there.

Susan1

It's such a pain. And worse in the winter, when you'd have some kind of headband/ear covering also under the helmet.

Salvino is so beautiful. I've always loved dark coloured horses like that. He's technically considered a dark bay (dark brown), rather than a true black according to his FEI bio. The white feet are called socks, by the way. And we also refer to horses with multiple white markings as having "chrome" sometimes, which some people think makes them look fancier in competition.
I don't know anything about horses! And I'd be a terrible judge. So, geez louise, that was not "my" horse. After a couple more, I had to make notes) a German one who "danced" to the song Peppermint Patty skated to and they said she was the #1 horse in the world (or whatever) Bella Rose, who nodded when she was done just like her rider (awww). And another one that I said "he/she is keeping time with the music" and then the announcer said the same thing, came Sanceo, from the US. That's my horse (I knew the first two syllables that started with an S sound was what I was thinking). They talk about other horses while one is doing its thing, so I'm all messed up. And they kind of all look alike. Sorry. And, yeah, I put the t.v. on HD to see better and they are really, really dark brown. He was really sweaty. But the US got silver (spoiler, sorry). The final horse made a mistake. I am done watching horses. Horse colors are so pretty and shiny. I like palominos though.

Oh, I did pet a pregnant Clydesdale at the Hamilton county (Cincinnati) fair about 20 years ago. She was so big, you know how horses are in a stall facing forward? She was in a double stall at the end so she could face sideways. There was a bench on the outside so you could stand on it to pet her face. Her name was Linda. She was still there the next year, with her "baby" and I forget what it was now.

And GOAT has meant Greatest of all Time for at least 20 years.
Peppermint Patty's skating song reminded me, they used to call Charlie Brown the goat (loser). I'm old.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) won 2 medals in women's weightlifting on Tuesday!

GOLD for KUO Hsing-chun:

BRONZE for CHEN Wen-huei:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information