2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Four (27 July)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
LYDIA JACOBY!!!! That was amazing!!!

Having not particularly paid any attention to other stuff on Lily King, she was very classy in that interview. 🤷‍♀️ So at least she pulled together her sportsmanship when she needed to.

Cachoo

She's 24 - she's just a jerk.
LYDIA JACOBY!!!! That was amazing!!!

Having not particularly paid any attention to other stuff on Lily King, she was very classy in that interview. 🤷‍♀️ So at least she pulled together her sportsmanship when she needed to.
I guess so but a part of me wanted to remind her that someone, who is not American, beat you even after you were standing by her slapping your thigh.

ilovepaydays

Michael needs to shave. He looks 10-15 years older than he is.

IMHO, most men that don’t go clean shaven or keep their facial hair short and neat end up looking for a lot older. Especially after the gray hairs start showing up.

Also, the skinny pants don’t help his look, either.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Why have so many swimmers cut the bottom straps off their masks?
They are wearing two caps. When they take the top one off, you can see the straps.

ETA or some of them wear the goggles under the cap like the triathletes do

Gazpacho

Why do English language media always refer to Hungarians as first name then last name? Hungarian names are supposed to be last name first.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
That interview with Alex Walsh -- her mom threw her in the pool and was surprised she could swim? Probably not a great idea if you don't think she can. :lol:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Oh this surfing is so close between Igarashi and Medina

MsZem

Lilly King sounds like kind of a brat.

I read an article and thought the same thing

ETA: this one

Her treatment of Efimova in Rio made it clear what kind of person she was, though I can't say Efimova is very impressive either. So it's nice to have a winner one can actually cheer for.

Outside of the refugee team and their amazing stories, Jacoby playing double bass in a bluegrass band is the second coolest Olympic bio I've come across so far (can't beat the math PhD winning the women's road race!)

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Why is Lilly King’s leg slapping any different from Zagitova’s leg slapping (did it every time before she took her opening pose), or Murphy’s chest slapping, or any other similar behavior that athlete’s use to loosen up?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Why is Lilly King’s leg slapping any different from Zagitova’s leg slapping (did it every time before she took her opening pose), or Murphy’s chest slapping, or any other similar behavior that athlete’s use to loosen up?
So Lily King isn't a brat, but Titmus' coach is a total asshole.

Mmmmm.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Because she doesn't say she does it to loosen up, she says she gets in her opponents space and does it to freak them out. She says she likes playing "mind games" with people as they are trying to prepare for the race by trying to ask them random things or tell them things to throw them off their game. Her dad said she's arrogant, and her coach said she's a sore loser who throws tantrums.

Maybe she really is just super chill the rest of the time, but none of the stuff she says makes her seem like a pleasant person to race.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Okay, did you actually watch the training fluff piece of titmus’s coach, or are you still just commenting on something you didn’t see?
I didn't see this fluff piece. What I saw yesterday was a coach getting passionately excited about his athlete's success. Winning Olympic gold isn't a small feat.

I also saw comments calling him an asshole only being made after the race, Titmus' win and the coach's celebration, not before, when I assume the fluff piece aired.

Karen-W

Mexico medals in women's synchronized 10M final behind the Americans :cheer2: . The Chinese ran away with it from the start and everyone else was more messy than not.
Their team was so excited to win the bronze. The commentator noted that they were trying not to jump up and down with happiness as each of the teams that dove after them came up short in the scores. Wonderful result for 🇺🇸 and 🇲🇽!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information