2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Five (28 July)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I keep a list of key viewing times for the next few days ahead, and making my new list up through Friday, we're seeing swimming almost finish out and track and field starting to creep onto the calendar.
As is the case at every Olympics.

ioana

Wow, these Romanian rowers have just been controlling this sculls race from the word go.
Bodnar and Radiș are getting insane amounts of media coverage now that they're Romania's first gold medal winners. So is the men's 4 crew that won silver. Getting Italy's Antonio Colamonici in charge of rowing teams preparation has worked out really well.

There's also been a definite change in coverage this time around where making Olympic finals is now presented as a very good thing. Not sure if they learned their lesson from Rio where the country 'only' won 4 medals overall (after getting a weightlifting medal stripped for doping). Either way, it's quite nice and will enjoy it while it lasts.

Prancer

Professional Spuddler
Staff member
I respectfully disagree with those posters who don't like Cynthia Potter's comentary for the diving events. I think she's knowledgable, fair and insightful. She appreciates when she sees a great dive and yet she does a very good job of being fair in her critiques.
I like her, too. She really understands the judging and is usually bang on when she calls a dive. Figure skating commentators could learn a thing or two about calling a competition from her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Those of you who enjoy Cynthia Potter are just wrong. :p

But we can all agree that Brazilian surfers are :grope:
Yes, we can regarding the surfers. Even if their fans are crazier than figure skating fans. If anybody is interested in seeing more of them, go to www.worldsurfleague.com You can watch the rest of the pro circuit events culminating in the event of the year at Pipeline (Oahu) in December. Or Jaws big wave surfing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-q_WgTGl5Y&ab_channel=WorldSurfLeague

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Have just found out British Eurosport commentators have been pronouncing “Haughey” as “Hockey” :yikes:

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
OMG the grandniece of a former corrupt Taoiseach is representing Hong Kong here!
Have just found out British Eurosport commentators have been pronouncing “Haughey” as “Hockey” :yikes:
Your first post yesterday led me to go Google her - from her wiki:
Haughey was born in Hong Kong in 1997 to an Irish father, Darach, and a Hongkongese mother, Canjo.[4] Darach's father Seán was the brother of former Taoiseach of Ireland, Charles Haughey.[5] Siobhan attended St. Paul's Primary Catholic School and St. Paul's Secondary School in Hong Kong and graduated from the University of Michigan in the United States.
ETA:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information