2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Five (28 July)

ryanj07

Amazing race from GB. The USA guys were always going to struggle with Dressel on that relay team.

Cachoo

I think the Americans are doing pretty well in swimming--we're not dominating, but iMO, that makes the sport more interesting when more countries win medals. I mean, who wasn't on their feet cheering for the Tunisian? Or celebrating that the Aussie women finally have a swimming star? Or the British men--they are KILLING it here. Makes it more exciting.
OMG we are so spoiled. Phelps could have been his own country and Ledecky was in her prime a few years back. You can’t expect that to happen in every Olympics. And I think it is better for every sport when more countries share in the medal haul.

Karen-W

Damn I fell sound asleep and missed a lot.
I fell asleep too! That's why I have the Olympics schedule & results page open in one browser window - so I can update myself whenever I wake up again, lol.
I think I might be the last person to discover Canoe Slalom? WHAT is this HORRIBLE looking nightmare???? I LOVE it? This looks like the MOST frustrating thing you should ever do. I'm never gonna watch anything else.
I've seen this event in previous Olympics and always enjoy it. I'm not sure I'd call it frustrating but it's certainly a tremendous challenge! I've only been whitewater rafting once in my life and I can't imagine doing that in a canoe or kayak solo!

Karen-W

For all the snarking on Michael Phelps' facial hair, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one is in here commenting about the mountain man beard that Russian diver Evgenii Kuznetsov is sporting.

DFJ

Oh, the synchro diving competition was fun! The Chinese team was almost super human.

michalle

I already commented on Kuznetsov and his beard a day or two ago in another thread. I love it. It gives me major Eastern Orthodox priest vibes, which is hilarious on a diver with a head tattoo (and I don't know anything about his religious beliefs!). I have never seen anyone in swimming/diving with a beard like that.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Insane ride from Roglic (SLO) in the time trial, winnng gold by over a minute from Dumoulin (NED) and Dennis (AUS)!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
More dressage! This is the free skate where they get to do their own programs.

I find it kind of soothing?

Tesla

Whippet Good
I’m amazed at how well the US is doing in diving. Were they expected to medal in synchro?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I’m amazed at how well the US is doing in diving. Were they expected to medal in synchro?
I don't know about the women's platform, but one of the men's 3m synchro got silver in Rio with a different partner. I've learned not to expect anything from US diving though so I'm just pleasantly surprised when they do well.

skategal

Bunny mama
Catching up from the morning broadcast--I know nothing about any of the sports I'm watching, but I do know the female synchronized diving commentator has got to be the most annoying of these games.

It's nice watching judged sports I know nothing about--I can just enjoy watching and the results without :argue: over the results, judging, who should/should not be there. (Except rhythmic gymnastic--I know nothing about the sport anymore, but I certainly have opinions :p )
Yes X 100.

I caught the women’s synchro springboard diving coverage on NBC and it was painful to listen to her.

Colonel Green

The women's 100 m heats were kind of bonkers. A truly incredible field.

4x200 m preliminaries, the time for the B-squad to jockey for spots in the main event.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Japan maintain their position on top of the medal table at the end of Day Five with China and the United States close behind.

Colonel Green

I keep a list of key viewing times for the next few days ahead, and making my new list up through Friday, we're seeing swimming almost finish out and track and field starting to creep onto the calendar.

So the whiners in Canada complaining about all the focus on female athletes (i.e., the only ones who are winning anything now) can take comfort that our women's track and field team is generally mediocre whereas Damian Warner and Andre De Grasse are waiting for their moment in the spotlight.

skatingguy

Golden Team

Spiralgraph

I respectfully disagree with those posters who don't like Cynthia Potter's comentary for the diving events. I think she's knowledgable, fair and insightful. She appreciates when she sees a great dive and yet she does a very good job of being fair in her critiques.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
For all the snarking on Michael Phelps' facial hair, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one is in here commenting about the mountain man beard that Russian diver Evgenii Kuznetsov is sporting.
Mountain man? It's full ,lined and shaped, and not so scraggly. I actually am amazed it hasn't dried out and gotten breakage considering the amount of chlorine it must be in contact with. He clearly takes care of it.
Michael Phelps. Eh. It's not his best look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information