2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Eight (31 July)

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Richardson wouldn’t have medalled even if she hadn’t had her spliff.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Not sure who is watching Peacock in the morning, but the athletics commentators have a real "Best in Show" vibe that is kind of hilarious. The guy is very traditional and prone to hyperbole and the woman is very straight laced and clearly annoyed by him.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
OMG...I just happened upon the live BMX Cycling coverage on NBC. Wow! Crazy flying, twisting, pirouetting handlebars! Japan’s Nakamura (sp?) is amazing. Who invented this wild sport?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Would love to see a per capita medal table. Jamaica might be on top there :)

Is this the first year with mixed gender relays in athletics and swimming? It's ... interesting.

Women's 100m final was amazing.

love skating

Clueless American
My only issue with the track mixed relay is that it happens before the individual races so I guess lots of the big names don't take part. Kinda like the skating team event going before the individual events although we still get a lot of the stars to participate in that. I was watching the event expecting to see Allyson Felix and Michael Norman but I guess no one wants to jeopardize their individual chances.

As to the swimming mixed relay, I have mixed feelings there too. Kinda uncomfortable seeing men blow past the women. Wish it could be all men for one leg, all women for others but since it's medley they can't do that. In a 4x100 mixed freestyle they could do that... like the track and triathalon mixed events, but I guess they want to give more opportunity to the other strokes.

Watched trampoline too and man is it scary - I kept holding my breath for them. I didn't realize Belarus was so good at it! They are so much higher than the other guys. Even the American guy was born in Belarus! So far the BMX cross race and trampoline both seem like some of the most dangerous sports!

The Jamaican women really put on a show in the 100! Elaine was amazing! I wonder if something's wrong with Bromell. He looked so strong at trials and then when he did the Diamond league afterwards he looked like he did here, not so great.

skategal

Bunny mama
I gasped when I watched it live, and I still can't see what went wrong watching it on NBC's broadcast.
She was interviewed on CBC and said she overjumped into it landing too close to the end of the board (her toes were over) to do the dive safely without risking injury so she bailed.

It is a mistake she has been making in practice on that dive.

She said “maybe I made the wrong choice to bail.” And the interviewer said “Choosing safety is never a wrong

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
She was interviewed on CBC and said she overjumped into it landing too close to the end of the board (her toes were over) to do the dive safely without risking injury so she bailed.

It is a mistake she has been making in practice on that dive.

She said “maybe I made the wrong choice to bail.” And the interviewer said “Choosing safety is never a wrong
Oh yeah, well much better to bail then. It had just been going so well though! I was gutted for her. But it's definitely better for her to be safe about it. There will be more competitions if she so chooses.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The woman who they showed right before her had her foot slip, so she was pushing off into the dive with like 1 and 1/3 of her feet. She did go in hands first, but basically did a back flop.

Scary stuff!

I only watch diving once every four years, if that (even though I love it!) and I was struck by how different everyone's hurdles are from how they used to be performed.

Lara

It's JJ style!
Good response from the CBC interviewer.
I'd have to rewatch, but it's a shame she probably landed too forward on the board to steady herself and have a chance to restart. It'd be a harsh penalty (2 points from each judge on the redo IIRC) but better than a failed dive. Oh well. :( Fingers crossed she can have at least one more Olympic experience in Paris to end on a better note, but she's represented Canada well over her career especially in synchro.

MsZem

After failing to win a single individual medal, the Israeli judo team got a bronze in a the team event!

I find judo extremely boring, but good for them :)
The French team won gold, making them the first to do so in this event at the Olympics.
While judo will never be my cup of tea, I do appreciate how accessible it is - relatively inexpensive to train, can be done anywhere, and suitable for kids (and adults) of different shapes and sizes.

skategal

Bunny mama
Oh yeah, well much better to bail then. It had just been going so well though! I was gutted for her. But it's definitely better for her to be safe about it. There will be more competitions if she so chooses.
Yes she said she is staying in for the next Olympics. :cheer2:

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I can add it to my planned statistical study on "does brooming the ice actually make the rock go that way in curling?"
Yes, because it smooths the ice and makes the rock slide faster in that direction. There, I just saved you a couple of days' worth of writing grant applications.

Cachoo

I have avoided watching a lot of male team sports and try to give more time to the women but I do have men’s bball on now. When he is”on” Kevin Durant is a remarkable player.

canbelto

I have avoided watching a lot of male team sports and try to give more time to the women but I do have men’s bball on now. When he is”on” Kevin Durant is a remarkable player.

He's maybe the most talented scorer of all time.

RoseRed

I am willing to work with you to conduct a statistical study on this? I can add it to my planned statistical study on "does brooming the ice actually make the rock go that way in curling?"

Who doesn't like an excited Pole?
Like @overedge said, yes sweeping absolutely affects where the rocks go. The strongest sweepers can really carry the rock over, or save a shot that was mis-thrown. Joanne Courtney from the Rachel Homan rink is a good example - her sweeping is invaluable to them because of how she can make shots happen.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Yes, because it smooths the ice and makes the rock slide faster in that direction. There, I just saved you a couple of days' worth of writing grant applications.

I know what it is supposed to do. Has anyone ever proven that it does with a statistical study?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information