2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - Day Eight (31 July)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
McKeown pulls Seebohm up onto the top step with her during the medal ceremony :wuzrobbed

misskarne

Australia's mixed medley team is announced:
McKeown - backstroke
Stubblety-Cook - breaststroke
Temple - butterfly
McKeon - freestyle

Holy shitballs, that's a team. Everyone's won a gold medal in their event thus far except Temple who was 5th and no slouch about it.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
NBC seems to think GB are the favorites and that it's China/GB/USA/Australia for the medals (that second part seems obvious)

I like that it's 2 men and two women but you can do whatever order you want for the genders.

USA has

Murphy
Jacoby
Huske
Dressel

First Israeli team in a relay final since 1996!

ilovepaydays

I kinda want one of those USA swim team warmup coats now.

Mixed medley relay final is coming up. Dumb question: If you can put any gender on any two strokes, wouldn’t it make more sense to put the women on the faster strokes (freestyle and butterfly)?

misskarne

Lowering my expectations for the medley a little, the ladies on our team only just raced other events.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I kinda want one of those USA swim team warmup coats now.

Mixed medley relay final is coming up. Dumb question: If you can put any gender on any two strokes, wouldn’t it make more sense to put the women on the faster strokes (freestyle and butterfly)?

Presumably that would all average out. The NBC commentators think going with two men first to get open water is the best strategy.

misskarne

Wow, that was a wild race!

For the Australians, that butterfly leg from Temple was clutch!

canbelto

I don't get the strategy for this. You want to put your men first to get that big lead right?

ilovepaydays

The US did not plan this relay well

I just looked up the differences between the men’s & women’s times and it looks like the greatest difference is in the breaststroke. You’d think the US would have had it as Murphy (backstroke), Andrew (breaststroke), Huske (butterfly), and Weitzel (freestyle). Especially if the Brits have Adam Peaty.

Colonel Green

I don't get the strategy for this. You want to put your men first to get that big lead right?
In theory it doesn't matter. You want your fastest people for each event, while also calculating for the approximate differences between your best person in a given discipline versus who you think the other teams will commit.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
USA's top swimmers:

Back: Regan Smith -Bronze Ryan Murphy- Bronze
Fly: Torri Huske- 4th Caleb Dressel- Gold
Breast: Lydia Jacoby- Gold Michael Andrew- 4th
Free: Abbey Weitzel- 8th Caleb Dressel- Gold

So you can see why USA thought that Bronze/4th/Gold/Gold was a good combo, especially compared to Bronze/Gold/Gold/8th. Part of USA's problem is that our best in the fly and free are the same guy. :shuffle: The other problem is that we just don't have a great woman 100 free swimmer. We managed Bronze in the 4x100 Free relay despite our best swimmer finishing 8th because we have a pretty deep team in that race, just not a star.

The USA might have been better to just go ahead and go with Murphy/Dressel/Jacoby/Weitzel and just try to give Weitzel as much as they could, but I think without a great woman in the 100 free, that relay is rough. (Also, with two of your four best swimmers being one person.)

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm watching some BMX thing and they're doing flips and stuff on these bikes like...it's so wild.

Karen-W

San Marino is guaranteed its SECOND Olympic medal - their Mixed Trap Shooting team just qualified for the Gold medal match and will go against Spain in just over an hour! US is competing with Slovakia in Bronze medal match in 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information