2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Closing Ceremony - Arigato Japan!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I had it muted ... were they saying the #1 moment was the Norwegian setting the world record?

Matryeshka

This woman singing the Olympic Anthem is every kind of fabulous. +4GOE. Someday, she MUST play Ursula.

This is one of the better closing ceremonies I've seen--I don't even really miss the crowds. I like that everything is done for the athletes, at eye-level for the athletes.

This rendition of Les Marseilles might be the best I've ever heard. The flautist :swoon: Visuals are spot-on--everyone's fantasy of Paris. And the French astronaut! And Parkour! France just set the bar way-high. ONLY THREE YEARS!!! VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
@Coco Yup, not sure I would have counted that as my #1 moment of these entire games but yeah, that's what they just said there. :huh:

I've enjoyed the closing ceremony tonight (stuck watching NBC but the two tweddles actually haven't been too bad overall) and I loved the presentation for Paris 2024. They did a wonderful job! I honestly don't know what I'm going to watch now that the games are over. I guess I'll start getting to bed at more normal times again though which will definitely help my health and well being, LOL :lol:

Brenda_Bottems

No one should be surprised Johnny and Tara make a gaudy mockery of the Olympics closing ceremonies. They do the same to our sport every season!

The outfits and decorum are a desperate cry for attention and an intervention.

-BB

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I had it muted ... were they saying the #1 moment was the Norwegian setting the world record?

I only got
1. Norwegian world record
2. Gold for Italy

Did anyone get the rest?

I feel like NBC and I are watching a different games.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I only got
2. Gold for Italy

Did anyone get the rest?

I thought one of them was Lydia Jacoby's surprise gold (they showed her family screaming while they showed the last part of her race) and another one was Japan's dominance in the Judo events. I can't remember the third one though. I definitely agree that NBC was watching a different games than a lot of us though with those choices (even though I love Lydia's inclusion). :lol:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
That closing montage that NBC does for the closing ceremony night ALWAYS gets me all up in my emotions and this one was no exception (dang did they hit all the big emotional parts of these games). What an amazing 17 days it's been in Tokyo and I am SO thankful that these games were able to be held after all. Arigato Tokyo and Japan! :cheer: :wuzrobbed

BaileyCatts

Reading thru the thread after the broadcast is over and not one mention about Johnny's hair? Y'all must be exhausted from getting up so early the last two weeks. I only managed to do it twice. :rofl: Cause that hair. :glamor:

Karen-W

Will Notre-Dame Cathedral be reopened by then? They’re showing Ile de la Cite...
Well, that was Macron's goal when the fire happened - to have it repaired within 5 years but even at the time, the experts were saying that was a huge challenge. I haven't seen any news about the restoration lately though.
With 3 straight Olympics being hosted by asian countries starting in 2018 i felt like the earliest that another Olympics should have been held in east Asian should have been at the earliest around 2034 but Japan really deserves another shot just because they didn't really get to enjoy these games like they should have. The people deserve it. Has the host country been picked for 2030 yet because i see they've already picked Brisbane for the 2032 Summer Olympics.
They were considering a bid for Sapporo 2030 but I think the Japanese government has firmly ruled that out after the last 1.5 years. I will be shocked if we see another Japanese bid, either Summer or Winter, before 2040. Maybe they'll be willing, in another decade, to try for Sapporo in 2038 or 2042?
No one should be surprised Johnny and Tara make a gaudy mockery of the Olympics closing ceremonies. They do the same to our sport every season!

The outfits and decorum are a desperate cry for attention and an intervention.

-BB
Tara looked really lovely, I thought. Nothing too flashy or outlandish. Certainly more tasteful than most of the outfits Nastia Liukin wore for her commentating gigs this summer. Johnny's hair, OTOH... Well, I guess it was sedate compared to some of his other looks.
I only got
2. Gold for Italy

Did anyone get the rest?

3. Japanese Judo Dominance
4. Tamyra Mensah-Stock
5. US Team golds - Basketball, Women's Water Polo, Women's Volleyball.

Personal thoughts on team closing ceremony outfits - these are completely random and just the ones I noticed...

Germany – good closing outfit
Ukraine – nice!
Canada – my effing God – there are no other words
Ethiopia – snazzy
USA – those jackets are hideous
Japan – that fluorescent coral certainly stands out!

Absolutely LOVED that rendition of La Marseillaise! Everything about it was magical! The entire Paris segment makes me so excited about 2024! Just three short years!

Spacy Clair de Lune - that was actually really quite pretty. I'd not kill a skater who used it.

Watching the NBC broadcast - I'm more than a little excited that Johnny name-dropped Nathan going for gold in men's figure skating. Yeah, there's going to be tremendous pressure on Nathan but, yeah... People need to know his name!

Last edited:

millyskate

One of the BBC commentators said the men’s Russian gymnastics team being led by Nagorny to victory was one of their favourite moments and I agree.
I also enjoyed Tom Daley finally getting gold, Chopra’s javelin Gold and Poland’s relay success. Also Andrade and Holly Bradshaw’s bronze - one of the most emotional medals after all those years of trying.

Glad everyone liked the Paris display, I thought it was stunning :cheer:

Last edited:

CantALoop

Susan1

Reading thru the thread after the broadcast is over and not one mention about Johnny's hair? Y'all must be exhausted from getting up so early the last two weeks. I only managed to do it twice. :rofl: Cause that hair. :glamor:
You aren't the only one. And this is not the only article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information