2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Closing Ceremony - Arigato Japan!

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Something sad...all of the happy bouncy music and the empty seats behind. 😢

I hope that this thing ends painlessly and quickly! On to Beijing 2022 in six months time.
I completely agree. I was talking to someone yesterday about this.
This Olympics, for me , just seemed to really be missing something without the crowds. I found it especially noticeable during gymnastics as the overall atmosphere of energy just wasn't there.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I like this little closing number with the kids singing with the women. Pretty visuals. I think Japan did a good job such a shame no audience. I liked this Paris segment and will be there for my 60th.

Jammers

So :respec: to Japan for pulling off a games in these difficult times.
Looking forward to Paris and their time zone for 2024 ;)
With 3 straight Olympics being hosted by asian countries starting in 2018 i felt like the earliest that another Olympics should have been held in east Asian should have been at the earliest around 2034 but Japan really deserves another shot just because they didn't really get to enjoy these games like they should have. The people deserve it. Has the host country been picked for 2030 yet because i see they've already picked Brisbane for the 2032 Summer Olympics.

Jammers

Crazy how the Olympics for decades ignored the terrorist attack in Munich and the Israeli athletes who were murdered and never mentioned it because it was "political". As if the Olympics have never been about politics. :(

4rkidz

Thank you Japan, that was a wonderful gymnastics I really enjoyed it all. I’m going to watch the para olympics next. Japan is so on my bucket list!

Lara

It's JJ style!
I wish it’d been under normal circumstances, but so very grateful Japan pulled these games off. Hopefully not at too high a financial/health cost. ありがとう!

Always sad to see it end :( but at least it won’t be long at all till Beijing and Paris should be wonderful if their presentation is any indication.

skatingguy

Golden Team
We get to hear the anthem of Kenya 🇰🇪 twice tonight!

For the Winter games, the final ceremony is for hockey, I think. Whose anthem will play at the closing cerem in Beijing?
Sometimes the men's ski marathon is presented at the closing ceremony.

Jammers

I wish it’d been under normal circumstances, but so very grateful Japan pulled these games off. Hopefully not at too high a financial/health cost. ありがとう!

Always sad to see it end :( but at least it won’t be long at all till Beijing and Paris should be wonderful if their presentation is any indication.
This feels like what i grew up with when both Summer and Winter Olympics were in the same year back in the 1970's and 80's. Instead of the usual 18 months between Summer and Winter Olympics we only have 6 months until Beijing so the usual Olympic withdrawals won't be as long this time.

4rkidz

Oh no Canada honey what is you wearing??
Apparently the most sought after by other athletes at the village the Jean jacket. The young people really like what it represents too. (Check out the graphics) also sold out in Canada. My daughter wanted one but I can’t get one anywhere.
Oh no Canada honey what is you wearing??

Karen-W

Well, hell. I went to sleep instead of staying up to watch the closing ceremony live stream and freakin' NBC doesn't have it available for replay. My only option is watching the NBC Primetime broadcast this evening. FML. 1) I have to wait 8 hours, 2) Tara & Johnny (I don't mind Terry), 3) no FFW through all the commercials unless I start watching an hour into the broadcast, 4) Johnny & Tara (I don't mind Terry - and yes, I know I've mentioned them but this cannot be emphasized enough), 5) the primetime broadcast is only 2.5 hrs long, so there's going to be stuff cut out, dammit.

I guess I should go do laundry. Or something.

Cachoo

Well, hell. I went to sleep instead of staying up to watch the closing ceremony live stream and freakin' NBC doesn't have it available for replay. My only option is watching the NBC Primetime broadcast this evening. FML. 1) I have to wait 8 hours, 2) Tara & Johnny (I don't mind Terry), 3) no FFW through all the commercials unless I start watching an hour into the broadcast, 4) Johnny & Tara (I don't mind Terry - and yes, I know I've mentioned them but this cannot be emphasized enough), 5) the primetime broadcast is only 2.5 hrs long, so there's going to be stuff cut out, dammit.

Do you have the Olympic News Channel? They have a nice, lengthy recap. I won’t be surprised if they run it again.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

I mean it didn't feel like it was that long anyway. There were several video montages. They could probably cut out some and not miss much...but also I don't trust them. They'll probably fill it up with interviews and fluff pieces. I'll watch anyway because I am not accepting that it's really over.

Susan1

If you are on FB:
“After the Olympics, and before the Paralympics.. comes the Wienerlympics! Starting next weekend - stay tuned to see who wins which medals!!”

I can't wait.

Karina1974

The Sukiyaki song

The original version in Japanese:

I LOVE that song!! I found a YouTube video with the lyrics translated into English. The tune is happy, but the lyrics are sad - I look up as I walk, so the tears won't fall...

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I am watching the NBC broadcast because I could not get up to watch this morning, but they will probably post the international broadcast later and then I will watch the real deal.

Barbara Manatee

I wonder if they'd always planned to have the Olympic flame down on the field? With the empty stands especially, it feels nice and intimate to see it at the athletes' level.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's like they get to cosplay at being rich trust fund kids. I do love the jacket, but I would never buy a white jacket. It would not stay white for long!

Jayar

I have loved getting to know Japanese skating fans, members of the media, and the skaters (when they allow them to be interviewed), but I have never hoped to visit Japan. Not sure why. This Olympics changed all of that-- I really want to see Tokyo now. This games, despite all of the negative press, was what my heart needed, and I think that is part of the reason why I feel some deep kinship with Tokyo now. I know-- silly, but I so needed some happy in my life. Thank you, Tokyo, and to all of the athletes who made this ********* a little less 'ugh' for a while.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Ditto! Watching the women's marathon I have decided that I must visit Sapporo before I die. It looks so beautiful.

I kind of wish someone had organized a big old GoFundMe for the Mom and Pop's in Tokyo that would have benefited from a normal Games, and all the community centers/ organizations that were going to host athletes in the weeks before the games. It would have been a nice way of saying Thanks to Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information