2020 SkAm Pairs SP - They Had to Fall to Lose It All

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
If it stayed called as a 2S it's just plain wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time it happened. Tennell 3T at Skate America last year, one year at Nationals one of the men did a 3A, it got called a 2A and Tara and Johnny of all people had to signal to the tech panel or referee that it was wrong, etc.

But they should be able to protest it, if it's indeed that, right when they see their protocol backstage.
You can correct a data error, which if it was a 3S but 2S was entered it would be. Happened to Ross Miner at CoR a few years ago too. The panel is human.

If the call is < they can't protest it.

And no, Weir and Lipinski were not responsible for that Axel correction at US Nats a couple of years ago, the panel fixed it on their own. Weir and Lipinski would have absolutely no contact with a working panel.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Johnny just said that it seemed like the judges are always “looking” for mistakes with Ashley and Tim instead of just giving them the “benefit of doubt” like other teams.

Hmm.........
It's true on their SBS jumps. I assume they switched to the sow because the loop kept getting called short but those salchows looked fine. :confused:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Okay, I just found a video on Youtube and reviewed the jump at quarter speed.

Sorry folks. She lands very close to forward.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
downgraded has always been the << since << became a thing. :lol:
Right but they used to just put << and not "downgraded." Maybe it's just the way USFS does it, because of course, they can't just use the regular program that every other ISU country uses for international competitions. :rolleyes:

tony

Right but they used to just put << and not "downgraded." Maybe it's just the way USFS does it, because of course, they can't just use the regular program that every other ISU country uses for international competitions. :rolleyes:
Yeah, the USFS has always used that junky program with terrible interface but it's always said the full word instead of the < or << for whatever reason.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

Scimeca-Knierim/Frazier (UNBLOCKED)

Last edited:

tony

I went back and slo-mo'd the slo-mo replay of C-G/L on my phone and I can see she was a bit short, probably the 'q' standard by just about every other skater in the competition today, but there's no way in hell it should've been called <<.

Seeing how this is essentially a domestic competition with all USFS technical panel and judges, if I were C-G/L I'd really be questioning the dumpage that doesn't even have explanation at a home event. I know they will keep it professional and come back out tomorrow all-business, but that's insane.

I've seen << that have been overlooked (obviously intentionally) in the past, but it's rare to see it the other way around from a home set of officials.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
So far, we have lost half the posters. Poor US pairs. 🙈
Because we know that we can watch the entire replays on Peacock and maintain our health through the proper amount of sleep. Just having coffee, ready to enjoy Pairs and Dance!

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Anything more than a quarter turn “overrated“, like a >2.25 revolution salchow, is supposed do be called as a 3S <<. I’m just thinking it’s panel error. They didn’t bust out the rulebooks like they should have.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
Just watched this in full.

SK/F looking lovely and zippy...and mostly clean. TWO THUMBS UP,as her husband & ex-partner’s cut-out showed in the stands! 😆

C/J seemed flat overall, in addition to the errors. I expect them to come back strong today.

Lu/M so gorgeous! Surprise of the night.

Gribbles - a relatively lumbering skate for them...and unfortunate S&M-inspired costumes. I hope that they give us a more classic look for their classical FS today!

clairecloutier

I think that CG/LD came out on the short end of the stick in several ways in last night's scoring.

Not only did they get the downgrade on the triple Sal, which was not readily apparent in the regular slo-mo, they also got lower GOE than usual for their twist, which I think may be due to different camera angles. From one angle, it looked like there was a little contact on the catch, from another, it looked like there wasn't. (ETA: What I mean is that the wide discrepancy in the judges' scores for the twist might be due to different angles from which they were viewing it, either onscreen and/or live.)

Their short program is arguably the most ambitious of the U.S. teams' in terms of choreography and transitions, and they could have been rewarded a bit more for that, as well as for the strength of their interpretation, which to my point of view was the best of the night.

Last edited:

Weve3

Because we know that we can watch the entire replays on Peacock and maintain our health through the proper amount of sleep. Just having coffee, ready to enjoy Pairs and Dance!
And that's very wise, but I couldn't miss out on the moderate amount of drunk posting that was going on. 😁

her grace

standing with Mariah
My thoughts

-Cain's 3S looked underrotated from the view that NBC showed so I don't buy Weir's conspiracy theory.
-I do think that the judges did not go a good job using PCS to differentiate the skaters. Calalang/Johnson and Cain/LeDuc should have had the PCS advantage over the rest of the field by some margin, but the judges bunched them together with Knierim/Frazier getting the second-best PCS. :rolleyes:
-I am impressed with Knierim/Frazier's debut and they are coming together nicely technically. :cheer: It will take some time to develop the transitions, polish, unison, and interpretative quality. Given the state of the U.S. field, top 2 at nationals seems clearly there for the taking.
-Nice job to Lu/Mitrofanov. They have a wonderful technical base. If they could get good packaging, it would help a great deal. Right now their coaches seem to let the music do the heavy lifting and it just doesn't work.
-Kayne/O'Shea: hope they get their coaching situation sorted. They used to be so consistent. :(

yeslek

If you didn't know Knerim/Frazier were going to get inflated PCS scores you haven't been reading the USFS tea leaves :)
I thought knierim Frazier looked better PCs wise than Cain/leduc. Ashley seemed especially hunched over. This wasn’t their best outing PCS wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information