2020 SkAm Ladies SP - That Don't Impress Me Much

tony

Remember when Bradie did that Olympic interview and said she loved listening to... IIRC... ACDC? The program last year worked for me because she stared right into the judges' eyes almost throughout and it was like 'Well I'm finally here'-- and the last few SPs that she's done have had some nice choreography and particularly the step sequences. This music just does nothing for me in a skating sense and let's be real, it's the same choreography throughout most of it from last year in a different order. Super disappointing.

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
Protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/29710/SEGM003.html

Placement / Starting order # / Name / SP score
1 11 Mariah BELL, USA 76.48
2 12 Bradie TENNELL, USA 73.29
3 3 Audrey SHIN, USA 69.77
4 8 Karen CHEN, USA 68.13
5 9 Amber GLENN, USA 67.85
6 4 Paige RYDBERG, USA 63.91
7 7 Shan LIN, CHN 59.29
8 6 Sierra VENETTA, USA 59.28
9 2 Finley HAWK, USA 59.12
10 10 Starr ANDREWS, USA 57.20
11 5 Pooja KALYAN, USA 55.50
12 1 Gracie GOLD, USA 46.36

None of these scores count for ISU PB/SB or TES minimums so inflate away, judges! :D

Last edited:

tony

A good next step from last year's SP? What is Johnny smoking?
He really doesn't like her and I don't know why. It was either Skate America last year or the year before where he went out of his way to show he was not overjoyed by her skating.

Weve3

Bradie's hair is beautiful and normally I'm all about the blonde, but I'd REALLY like to see her with something short and dark.
Bradie's hair is beautiful, I agree, but matronly hair with a catsuit is a big no... I think she can keep the blonde, but maybe try a more relaxed style. She could always go Diamond Dave or vintage Dee Snider. 😉

alchemy void

superspreading perk
But is it? On just the first view, I thought Mariah's flip and toe were both < and probably would've scored substantially lower with an international technical panel. Also, the US ladies aren't exactly filling up their programs with nonsensical transitions, let alone any at all ;)

You can't have Carol Lane's job if that's what you're after.... ;)

:lol:

I'll happily admit if I'm wrong, but based on what we've seen at the Russian Cup events, I don't think I'll be. An all-Russian tech panel is not going to call > or e on any Tutberidze skater. And the judges will throw out insane GOE that will make this look like amateur hour.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I realized it was Nicole Bobek's 1995 SP dress I was thinking off. And hers had way more bling as was "the thing" back then.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
:lol:

I'll happily admit if I'm wrong, but based on what we've seen at the Russian Cup events, I don't think I'll be. An all-Russian tech panel is not going to call > or e on any Tutberidze skater. And the judges will throw out insane GOE that will make this look like amateur hour.
And we'll have fun bitching about it when it happens! :D

RoseAugust

I loved Mariah's costume. I loved her smile. I loved her skating. I'm hoping the music will grow on me; it's just not my genre.

npavel

watching right now Starr Andrew in the review, with Savage love in the background, I find that music would suit her skating so much better than the one she had. It seams she is really skating to that

bladesofgorey

Crud theatre. The ISU is message over substance more often than not.
The crud spreads through aerosols and hangs in the air, especially when the surrounding temperature is cool. Having skaters distanced and wearing masks in an area where each skater will sit one after another gasping for breath is the OPPOSITE of crud theater. It's actually good practice based in science and I am very happy to see they are doing this. The constant wiping down of surfaces nobody touches is crud theater.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
@bladesofgorey What I referred to as crud theatre is avoiding 2 minutes of coach contact in the KnC when the skaters have 20+ hours a week of contact with that person. Their coach is in their circle and should be allowed in the KnC. It’s like saying you shouldn’t sit with your roommate when you eat out, despite sharing a home.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
Yes, banning coaches from kiss n cry is just a show...just like having that big bottle of hand sanitizer in the picture. Like it’s going to make all the difference, to apply hand sanitizer immediately after getting off the ice.

Advise from lawyers to minimize potential liability if someone comes down *****.

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
ISU's videos currently are not blocked - top 6 (ETA that I knew it wouldn't last - now blocked in USA):

Last edited:

Nikki Lee

The foot position on the sit spin: does anyone else think that it should be a turned out foot? Could she catch her toepick if the foot drops at all??

bladesofgorey

@bladesofgorey What I referred to as crud theatre is avoiding 2 minutes of coach contact in the KnC when the skaters have 20+ hours a week of contact with that person. Their coach is in their circle and should be allowed in the KnC. It’s like saying you shouldn’t sit with your roommate when you eat out, despite sharing a home.
Sorry! I was trying to reply to the quote in your post that said wearing masks in the kiss and cry made no sense/was theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information