2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: Week 2 Event Finals

Karina1974

Your use of "" gives the game away. The irony, seriously. Maybe look at why your country is having to compete under a different name here rather than try and throw shade at someone else without any evidence.
BOOM! I heard that!

Also look at why so many of the older female Soviet and East German athletes look like men from taking that good old testosterone.

Karina1974

Ah, that's what those clips were from.

My tapes from Barcelona quit working long ago, but I’m pretty certain you’re right they did all the women’s events on one day and all the men’s the next.
Check YouTube. I know they have at least some of the competition segments on there. I've been indulging in some major time travel with regards to gym and skating in recent weeks.

ETA: Link to YouTube for EF.

ioana

Just got done watching VT now -so happy for Seojeong Yeo. She did her own vault, the HS 2/2 twist as well as I've veer seen, but then messed up the landing of the easier Yurchenko double. Bridget is right, might as well go for a 2.5 from now on. Still, first ever Olympic medal for female Korean gymnastics:cheer:.

Rebecca was great, too. She was the calmest one on the whole team when she finally clinched gold -like, of course I could do it :rofl:

Allskate

I'm so tired after staying up for the event finals. They were underwhelming. So not worth it just to be unspoiled. I'm sure the gymnasts are tired, and the lack of warmup doesn't help. They need to reassess how things are done. Also, if they allow more gymnasts to compete next time, maybe we'll get a better event finals.

I wish I still had my tapes from 1996 gymnastics. I had a trunk full of gymnastics and mostly skating tapes, and I made a rash decision to toss them when I was moving and no longer had a VHS player. Really dumb.

Gazpacho

Many Russian articles say Nikolay Durmanov (a doctor) supposes, that Simone Biles has health issues because now she isn’t able to take forbidden medicine which she usually “legally” takes. Japanese rules about bringing this forbidden medicine to the country became stricter since July 2020, so maybe her team didn’t manage to bring it to Japan.
https://www.eurosport.ru/artistic-gymnastics/tokyo-2020/2021/story_sto8460026.shtml
She (and any other athletes on the medication) were granted an exemption to bring them into Japan.

floskate

Vacant
I was wondering about that. Last night I watch the A&E Biography episode on Olga Korbut, and it mentioned how the gymnastics was 4 days. So qualifying, team final, AA..... and that would mean one day for EF.

That episode makes me confused about something else. They show clips of the Soviet team doing some sort of group routine on the floor. I assume this would be part of the Team event??? Munich was 2 years before I was even born, so my only exposure to the gymnastics of the 1970's is old library books and, later on, YouTube videos.

Is this the group routine you're referring to?

https://youtu.be/9ZEh3PknvXM?t=1319

This was actually their warm up for compulsory floor in Munich. There was no group routine.

just tuned in

Chiming in late.

I hope Simone and others are taking their meds. I suppose that if athletes were not permitted their meds, we would have heard about it.

I understand and appreciate the format of spreading the EFs over 3 days. IIRC, in the past, athletes who competed on multiple EFs in a single day claimed it was a disadvantage compared to athletes that competed in only one.

These EFs were basically a splatfest. Crushed for the athletes who had errors. Whether due to lack of one-touch, or nerves, or anything else, messing up in your EF hurts.

To me, it looked like tears of joy from the Spanish FX silver medalist. Congrats to him! He was the only one who impressed me. Also, he flames a little.

Hatikvah is a dirge.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
I remember when gymnasts had a compulsory routine phase - everybody performed the same floor routine to same music...by piano. LOL! I don’t recall when they did away with it but, having just watched my tapes (now DVDs) of L.A., it was still being done in 1984. It was a delight to compare different interpretations...eg, Mary Lou’s peppiness truly stood out. To heck with elements, in my mind. I loved the interpretive element.

A.H.Black

I still watch my recordings of past Olympics from time to time - starting with 1984. My memory of many of the event finals is that they were great competitions. Julianne McNamara on bars. Bart Conner and Peter Vidmar on P-bars and Pommel Horse. In 1992, Trent Dimas on high bar. Vitaly Scherbo in concert.

I think it has gone downhill every since they combined men's and women's. I don't mind the combining (1996 was excellent), but ever since it went to 3 days, the competition has been less than it should be. This is TV/money driven. Having no warm-up on the actual apparatus is foolish and dangerous. It makes for a competition that is not nearly as exciting as it could be.

Last edited:

canbelto

Replaying the mens' FX. Big respect to Nagorny for trying the triple pike. That's going in the COP right?

SmallFairy

#teamtrainwreck #teamjapan
I’ve watched my ‘92 and ‘96 tapes endless times. Still have them. Best memories. I think the last time with compulsories, at least the last Olympics, was ‘96. They even did a tribute to them in the exhibition, since it was the last time. Yes, the had gym exhibition in ‘96. I remember Nemov doing FX to Eye of the tiger.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I remember when gymnasts had a compulsory routine phase - everybody performed the same floor routine to same music...by piano. LOL! I don’t recall when they did away with it but, having just watched my tapes (now DVDs) of L.A., it was still being done in 1984. It was a delight to compare different interpretations...eg, Mary Lou’s peppiness truly stood out. To heck with elements, in my mind. I loved the interpretive element.
Compulsories ended after the 1992-1996 quad. 1996 was the last Olympics to have them. 1988 was the last Olympics to use live piano for the Compulsory floor. I do wish they were still part of Olympic gymnastics.

Last edited:

Gazpacho

Compulsories ended after the 1992-1996 quad. 1996 was the last Olympics to have them. 1988 was the last Olympics to use live piano for the Compulsory floor. I do wish they were still part of Olympic gymnastics.
I think compulsories forced gymnasts to focus on perfect execution, form, and subtleties. Perhaps the ending of compulsories is one reason gymnastics has lost so much artistry over the last couple of decades.

just tuned in

I think compulsories forced gymnasts to focus on perfect execution, form, and subtleties. Perhaps the ending of compulsories is one reason gymnastics has lost so much artistry over the last couple of decades.
Not "perhaps." It strikes me that these women who do triple twists in the air cannot hold their balance after a double turn on floor.

floskate

Vacant
Not "perhaps." It strikes me that these women who do triple twists in the air cannot hold their balance after a double turn on floor.
Even the current Russian crop who have beautiful line and extension and clearly have ballet training....when it comes to turns it seems to be a "spin like your life depends on it" approach. Is spotting not allowed in gymnastics? Even in Tokyo we've seen multiple upright spins almost verge on the horizontal due to lack of technique.

Karina1974

Is this the group routine you're referring to?

https://youtu.be/9ZEh3PknvXM?t=1319

This was actually their warm up for compulsory floor in Munich. There was no group routine.
Yes, it was. I actually have that documentary, from whenA&E had someone else do the voiceover narrative and broadcast it on Biography. That's how I happened to record it, onto a VHS tape along with the 2000 US Classic.

Munich was 2 years before my time. The first time I actually watched Olympic gymnastics was 1988 in Seoul. 1976 I was less than 2 years old, Moscow was an obvious bust with the boycott (did US TV even broadcast anything from those Games???) and I'd spent 1984 up in the Adirondacks with no TV so I didn't get to see anything from L.A.

Thank goodness for YouTube, but there's little on there from 1972.

I actually have a bunch of your skating videos bookmarked in a folder I call Vintage Skating. You and TheSkatingLesson are excellent resources!

skatfan

Even the current Russian crop who have beautiful line and extension and clearly have ballet training....when it comes to turns it seems to be a "spin like your life depends on it" approach. Is spotting not allowed in gymnastics? Even in Tokyo we've seen multiple upright spins almost verge on the horizontal due to lack of technique.
Hasn’t the floor itself also changed a lot? It seems a lot bouncier than in the 90s.

Karina1974

I found compulsory floor footage of Cathy Rigby from Munich, and the commentator said that the FIG issued a list of elements that had to be included, but each country did its own choreography and chose their own music, so each country had its own compulsory floor routine. I don't know about the other 3 apparatus.

ETA: here's the video:

1972 Munich Olympic Gymnastics

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
.... Moscow was an obvious bust with the boycott (did US TV even broadcast anything from those Games???) ...
No, they did not. It was killing me, LOL. US-network news only showed 5-minute clips, at most. I got about 2 minutes of the AA champ, Davidova, on tape, doing her floor routine in a fuschia leotard. There was also a brief report to show how "big" (grown up) Nadia had become. That's it. Puerto Rico did participate in those Games but the island's TV crews weren't allowed to make live - or any - broadcasts.

Karina1974

I’ve watched my ‘92 and ‘96 tapes endless times. Still have them. Best memories. I think the last time with compulsories, at least the last Olympics, was ‘96. They even did a tribute to them in the exhibition, since it was the last time. Yes, the had gym exhibition in ‘96. I remember Nemov doing FX to Eye of the tiger.
Would highly suggest transferring them to DVD of you haven't already. My oldest tapes go back to 1996, and I transferred everything over last year, and have only recorded onto DVD for the past 3 years.

Once they snap they are gone for good. Even if you can splice them they never play right again.

Karina1974

No, they did not. It was killing me, LOL. US-network news only showed 5-minute clips, at most. I got about 2 minutes of the AA champ, Davidova, on tape, doing her floor routine in a fuschia leotard. There was also a brief report to show how "big" (grown up) Nadia had become. That's it. Puerto Rico did participate in those Games but the island's TV crews weren't allowed to make live - or any - broadcasts.
Not surprised. Every piece of footage I've managed to find had a British guy doing the commentary. I think it's the same guy they interviewed for the Olga Korbut documentary that's been posted here.

I will say that WAG, between the USSR and Romania anyway, was a freaking bloodbath. Romania was the reigning World Championship team, after all. Throw GDR with Maxi Gnauk and Steffi Kraker into the mix, and the US would have been a mere afterthought. There wouldn't have been any booing of a low score for an American like there was for Kathy Johnson's floor during the 1978 World AA Final. I just watched that competition on YouTube today as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information