2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: Week 2 Event Finals

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
Looks like Simone’s out of FEx. Now both Gadirova sisters of GB get to compete in tomorrow’s final for that apparatus!

Ferrari or Andrade for gold!

love_skate2011

looks like Melnikova is mirroring Nagornyss performaces

hahahha, Nagornyy looks too much relaxed, he posts stories in instagram after his events,
dude do more practices or hes just all burned out from the team event.

Ablyazin will save russian men like usual
an Olympic medalist since 2012 !

becca

looks like Melnikova is mirroring Nagornyss performaces

hahahha, Nagornyy looks too much relaxed, he posts stories in instagram after his events,
dude do more practices or hes just all burned out from the team event.

Ablyazin will save russian men like usual
an Olympic medalist since 2012 !
I think the Russian men are just fine. They gave it all in Team Finals. Same with Gela

love_skate2011

I think the Russian men are just fine. They gave it all in Team Finals. Same with Gela
Nagornyy looks burned out like Melnikova.

I think Ablyazin and Listunova are more likely to medal in the coming events.
Rings , Vault and Floor, fingers crossed for not jinxing it.

Ablyazin will be a multiple medalist in 3 olympic quad , individually if he medals again here.

millyskate

Catching up here. Shocker for Jade.
I'm massively in favour of allowing warm-up for EFs, it's really awful not to. Dangerous and makes for messy EFs every time.

More regret that Becky Downie wasn't allowed to compete because she would have stood a medal chance in this final. I also wish Seitz had managed to just clinch the bronze - it would have really been amazing for her.

Karina1974

The cats are begging for food. I keep explaining to them that I am not awake but they don’t seem to buy it…
Hey, my cat waking me up at 5:00 AM for food was the only reason I got to watch EF live this morning at all! I missed half the vault final but got to see all of UB.

Then I sacked out again until about 10 minutes ago! :D

becca

Nagornyy looks burned out like Melnikova.

I think Ablyazin and Listunova are more likely to medal in the coming events.
Rings , Vault and Floor, fingers crossed for not jinxing it.

Ablyazin will be a multiple medalist in 3 olympic quad , individually if he medals again here.
Listy yes Vlada could medal on beam if she does well.

Looking at Russian WAG they weren’t really favorites to win on any individual event. But like on bars four girls top 6.
and that adds up. Someone says they crunched the numbers and Russia had four girls top 20 on every event but vault (and they were scored second best on vault in qualifying.

Karina1974

I’m sorry to have to ask but what does no touch warm up mean?
It means you don't get on the equipment until you are doing your routine for the actual competition. Normally you get a chance to get up on the apparatus before the rotation or EF starts, just to get the feel for being up there, because it's different being on the floor under the lighting and with a crowd, than it is in a back gym.

I remember the Goodwill Games in 2001 was one of the very first times they used a no-one-touch warm up situation, and the gymnasts were NOT happy about it. I'm surprised they still use it.

Incidentally, that was the first meet where the vaulting table was used. Some of the gymnasts, like Chusovitina, got to the competition not having used, or even seen, one before.

Karina1974

Thank you. Is that dangerous for things like vault?
It definitely was in 2001 when gymnasts arrived at the GWG not having practiced on, or even having seen, the new vaulting table before, because they came from countries that didn't have one yet. The table was used in an international meet for the 1st time at that competition. Combine that with no OTW....

I have that comp archived for WAG, and there were a lot of falls and OOB, even from the gymnasts who had competed/medaled in Sydney the previous year. Carly Patterson was set to win the AA, but she sat down or went OOB on every single pass on floor.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!

Simone continues to focus on mental health. Hopefully she’LL feel better before the start-order for beam is finalized about 20 hrs from now. Japan’s Ashikawa would be next in line to take her place among competitors. 🤞 for Simone!

Cachoo

It makes zero sense that they don’t allow warm-up due to broadcast reasons yet they break up the events with the medal ceremony. Allow warm-up and hold all the medal ceremonies at the end.
I don’t understand this rule at all.

Choupette

Whoever said why don’t they do all the event finals in one night: because four already is long as hell and I’m so glad this is the only time we have 4.
Does anyone remember how it was done in Barcelona? For some reason, I was convinced they did all the women's events on one day and then the men's events the following day. I may not remember well though. I'd like this format better.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Bring back one touch warm up. That's all I have to say about today.

Cachoo

Many Russian articles say Nikolay Durmanov (a doctor) supposes, that Simone Biles has health issues because now she isn’t able to take forbidden medicine which she usually “legally” takes. Japanese rules about bringing this forbidden medicine to the country became stricter since July 2020, so maybe her team didn’t manage to bring it to Japan.
https://www.eurosport.ru/artistic-gymnastics/tokyo-2020/2021/story_sto8460026.shtml
If this is about ADHD medication I understood that there was an exemption made for Olympic athletes. I’m not entirely sure though.

ioana

Does anyone remember how it was done in Barcelona? For some reason, I was convinced they did all the women's events on one day and then the men's events the following day. I may not remember well though. I'd like this format better.
I think back then they only split EF’s in two days, in starting order (so VT and UB on day 1 and BB and FX day 2). Still think they had both men’s and women’s in both, though. They also had shorter breaks between events, so gymnastics was over on Sunday?

floskate

Vacant
I always thought it was 3 mens and two women's day one and the same day 2 like worlds. But going back further they used to do all men's one day and women's another which definitely happened in Munich.

skatfan

Many Russian articles say Nikolay Durmanov (a doctor) supposes, that Simone Biles has health issues because now she isn’t able to take forbidden medicine which she usually “legally” takes. Japanese rules about bringing this forbidden medicine to the country became stricter since July 2020, so maybe her team didn’t manage to bring it to Japan.
https://www.eurosport.ru/artistic-gymnastics/tokyo-2020/2021/story_sto8460026.shtml
There’s an exemption for the Olympics and medications for which there’s an authorized use exemption. Simone is fine.

floskate

Vacant
Your use of "" gives the game away. The irony, seriously. Maybe look at why your country is having to compete under a different name here rather than try and throw shade at someone else without any evidence.

MsZem

Let's fact-check:
I realize there's probably interest among some in Russia in drawing false equivalencies between their state-sanctioned doping and legitimate medical treatment elsewhere, but the doctor should mind his own business and his own patients.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
My tapes from Barcelona quit working long ago, but I’m pretty certain you’re right they did all the women’s events on one day and all the men’s the next.

ioana

Why is ahdh medication banned in Japan? That is horrible for the people suffering from it. 😱
Am not sure if it's all ADHD medication or 'just' this drug, methylphenidate.

From google translate

according to information obtained privately from Japan, methylphenidate can only be imported into the country with a special permit, since this drug is prohibited in Japan. To obtain a permit for customs, you need to have an opinion from an authorized medical institution.
Before the *********, the period for considering such issues in Japan was 7-10 days, and since July last year it has increased to six months. The Americans, however, hoped that the authorization papers from WADA would be enough for them. And they lost a unique athlete who could easily have taken not even four gold medals in Tokyo, as it was in Rio, but all six gold medals, ”Vaytsekhovskaya wrote.
The original reporting was done by the same Elena Vaytsekhovskaya whose skating interviews are translated by Tanya and seems very reasonable. This is quoting parts of it and while it left off the fact methylphenidate is for ADHD, there's no part where "legally" comes into play. Overactive imagination by the original poster, more like.

Karina1974

Yeah, I saw that mentioned on another forum. So stupid... those rules should only be applying to citizens, not visitors to the country, especially if it is a drug the person needs in order to function.

Karina1974

I always thought it was 3 mens and two women's day one and the same day 2 like worlds. But going back further they used to do all men's one day and women's another which definitely happened in Munich.
I was wondering about that. Last night I watch the A&E Biography episode on Olga Korbut, and it mentioned how the gymnastics was 4 days. So qualifying, team final, AA..... and that would mean one day for EF.

That episode makes me confused about something else. They show clips of the Soviet team doing some sort of group routine on the floor. I assume this would be part of the Team event??? Munich was 2 years before I was even born, so my only exposure to the gymnastics of the 1970's is old library books and, later on, YouTube videos.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
You remember correctly. WAG actually competed before MAG that year. WAG apparatus finals were held one day on its own and MAG was held the next day.

Starting in 1996 they combined finals for MAG and WAG over two days, five apparatus per day, which was the norm at Worlds as of 1987 I believe. They were expanded to three days starting in 2008.

canbelto

I was wondering about that. Last night I watch the A&E Biography episode on Olga Korbut, and it mentioned how the gymnastics was 4 days. So qualifying, team final, AA..... and that would mean one day for EF.

That episode makes me confused about something else. They show clips of the Soviet team doing some sort of group routine on the floor. I assume this would be part of the Team event??? Munich was 2 years before I was even born, so my only exposure to the gymnastics of the 1970's is old library books and, later on, YouTube videos.

The teams used to come out and do a little podium exhibition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information