2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: Week 2 Event Finals

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
I read somewhere that the ceiling was very different in the warm up area, so things look very different when the competitors compete. If true, that’s a major problem.

ryanj07

Happy for Suni but that final was a mess. Other than Max winning, I totally could've slept in and caught these finals on replay...

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I read somewhere that the ceiling was very different in the warm up area, so things look very different when the competitors compete. If true, that’s a major problem.

I know Aly was saying that it’s hard to spot a light colored floor, especially with a bright ceiling.

Laurie is tweeting up a storm about warmup and people are catching on. It would be great if things could get changed.

Adam Rippon tweeting how bananas this would be in figure skating.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I believe the athletes did warmup on the actual equipment prior to the march-in. Many gymnasts are tweeting about how they should reinstate the touch warmup for apparatus finals.
This tweet, not from a gymnast, put it best:

FIG: we care about athlete safety. FIG: eliminates touch warm ups FIG: well, we care about viewer experience Gymnasts: subpar performances, major breaks, falls Make it make sense.

Amy L

I know Aly was saying that it’s hard to spot a light colored floor, especially with a bright ceiling.

Laurie is tweeting up a storm about warmup and people are catching on. It would be great if things could get changed.

Adam Rippon tweeting how bananas this would be in figure skating.

It would be an absolute bloodbath in skating, just imagine the pair skaters without a warm up!

I hope this no touch warm up thing dies a quick death so they don't have to deal with that nonsense in the future.

ballettmaus

Jordan, Grace, and the swimmers are still literally attending events, which you have to be an Olympian to do. If the organizers were trying to send them home, presumably their access to events would also be deactivated. (Presumably they get in with their badges.) The entire swim teams seem to still be here cheering for swimming from many countries.

I think things are maybe just more complex than FSU thinks. :shuffle:
Since teammates are basically the only spectators, maybe they changed it after they decided there would be no spectators or they changed it after they realized that it'snice for the athletes to have their teammates cheer on them?

honey

I'm not a gymnast, but as a skater, it would be BONKERS to only be allowed to warm up at the practice facility. Each ice surface is different, the lighting is different, the surroundings are not the same. So much of the warm up is the feel of the ice. I have to assume it is very similar for gymnasts. It is not the same as having a chance to touch the equipment and get re-acclimated to the arena.

Hasn't the no one touch warm up for EF been around for a while though? I don't believe this is new for this olympics. If they haven't changed it after several olympics with complaints, I don't see why they'd change it now.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I believe the athletes did warmup on the actual equipment prior to the march-in. Many gymnasts are tweeting about how they should reinstate the touch warmup for apparatus finals.
This tweet, not from a gymnast, put it best:

The gymnasts on Twitter are saying they warm up in the back, not on the floor. Laurie says a lot of times it’s a long walk or feels different. Describes everyone having “cold muscles.”

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The gymnasts on Twitter are saying they warm up in the back, not on the floor. Laurie says a lot of times it’s a long walk or feels different. Describes everyone having “cold muscles.”
They warmed up on the actual equipment prior to the competition though, this according to media at the event.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It would be an absolute bloodbath in skating, just imagine the pair skaters without a warm up!

I hope this no touch warm up thing dies a quick death so they don't have to deal with that nonsense in the future.

It’s been around for a few years. At least two Olympics? If not more?

Time to go back to sleep since I officially haven’t been awake these four hours. Although, in order to sleep, I think I’m gonna need to feed both me and the cats. My stomach is growling and the cats seem to disbelieve my “I’m not awake” excuse.”

honey

Even with a warm up on the actual field of play before the event, that is hours before the competition for some. I also think its weird that EF is the only time there is no one touch. Seems to me it would be harder to get a one touch most of the time and then for some reason not have one for EF? You have to change your preparation for one set of events.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The no touch warmup for apparatus finals began at 2001 world championships. They also took away the touch warmup for team finals for a while, maybe only until 2004, I'm not sure on that one.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Even with a warm up on the actual field of play before the event, that is hours before the competition for some.
I agree and didn't mean to suggest it was fair, just clarifying that they did practice on the competition equipment earlier in the day.

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
Watched the two women's events. Loving that the Medals-Wealth is being spread - GOLDS for BRAZIL and BELGIUM! Wowee!!! So happy for both Rebeca - queen of power - and Nina - queen of exquisite lines!

Also, heard about ISRAEL and GREAT BRITAIN winning today's Men's events! Congratulations, all.

honey

@danafan I think you're right that there was no on touch for team final at some point in the 2001-2004 era. I think 2003 worlds for sure didn't have one touch for team final.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
@danafan I think you're right that there was no on touch for team final at some point in the 2001-2004 era. I think 2003 worlds for sure didn't have one touch for team final.
Yes, I knew for sure they eliminated it for the team final as well but couldn't remember when it was reinstated. I think 2006 but I'm not sure.

annie_mg

Watched the two women's events. Loving that the Medals-Wealth is being spread - GOLDS for BRAZIL and BELGIUM! Wowee!!! So happy for both Rebeca - queen of power - and Nina - queen of exquisite lines!

Also, heard about ISRAEL and GREAT BRITAIN winning today's Men's events! Congratulations, all.
I'm thrilled for Nina but exquisite lines? There were lots of breaks in her routine today, flexed feet in particular are almost always to be seen in her routines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information