2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

becca

I don’t remember and know all that went down with Skinner. I am going to say this though I think it is hypocritical to complain they didn’t go with all around one year and then want them to do differently the next.

But Simone actually knows both Skinner and Gabby I get the sense she is much friendly with Skinner than Gabby.

We don’t know any of them but I do think Simone had a better idea of who Skinner is then we do

canbelto

Gabby isn't in touch with any of her Rio teammates. She made some comments about the way Aly dressed after Aly came out with her story of being abused by Nassar. Gabby apologized and said that she herself had also been abused but there still seems to be bad feelings.

Ugh, Marta and LN really ****ed up a whole generation of female gymnasts.

Karina1974

It IS misogynistic to expect that female athletes behave a certain "sportsmanlike" way. Trash-talking and rivalries are admired in many male athletes.
Then that is what needs to change. I competed in baton twirling for 6 years, and was a show twirler and majorette for 13, and exhibition of good sportsmanship was drilled into me from the get go. And not just for competition, but if we were performing in shows or parades with other twirling or dance groups.

Rivalries are fine until they start becoming about the person and not about the competition.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Gabby isn't in touch with any of her Rio teammates. She made some comments about the way Aly dressed after Aly came out with her story of being abused by Nassar. Gabby apologized and said that she herself had also been abused but there still seems to be bad feelings.

Ugh, Marta and LN really ****ed up a whole generation of female gymnasts.
She didn't say anything about how Aly dressed. She disagreed with something Aly posted about how women should be able to wear whatever they want without others judging them.

canbelto

She didn't say anything about how Aly dressed. She disagreed with something Aly posted about how women should be able to wear whatever they want without others judging them.

here is the tweet storm:

Lara

It's JJ style!
Was extremely unlikely she'd recover her spatial sense in time but :(

Disappointed the event finals start earlier than team/AA. Setting an alarm for 6am is way more doable than 4, ugh.

Karen-W

Such a shame. I'm crossing my fingers she'll be able to compete in the UB final but I'm not at all hopeful.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Can she do beam and do a double back instead of the full-in dismount?
This is what I was wondering. She doesn't really do any twisting stuff, and if she can do a double tuck or even a double pike off, maybe she'd be ok. I'm sure they're trying everything they can.

ballettmaus

I'm sure she's still holding out hope and doesn't want to withdraw too early only to find that she could have competed but I'm wondering if a part of her also knows that she won't be able to compete but she's announcing it like she does so that she can stay and continue to be there and support her teammates. (Which I would not hold against her in any way. To the contrary).

Allskate

Who's getting up at 3:30 Central to watch vault?
I'm out on the West Coast. I haven't been able to get up for any of the others, especially because they were worknights. But, I'm going to try and stay up late to see men's floor and hopefully vault. I doubt I can last beyond that.

just tuned in

I have never had the twisties and know only what I’ve read that gymnasts have said about them. But it seems like a lot of gymnasts have experienced them, so I wonder when therapies will be developed. It sound like vertigo? And I think there is a remedy for vertigo that involves a specialized PT therapist turning and rotating the patient’s head in a proscribed pattern that puts the inner ear fluids back where they are supposed to be. I would like someone to interview such a therapist or an ear doctor to get opinions on whether this type of treatment could be tried for gymnasts who get the twisties.

canbelto

I have never had the twisties and know only what I’ve read that gymnasts have said about them. But it seems like a lot of gymnasts have experienced them, so I wonder when therapies will be developed. It sound like vertigo? And I think there is a remedy for vertigo that involves a specialized PT therapist turning and rotating the patient’s head in a proscribed pattern that puts the inner ear fluids back where they are supposed to be. I would like someone to interview such a therapist or an ear doctor to get opinions on whether this type of treatment could be tried for gymnasts who get the twisties.

Gymnasts have said that it can subside in a few weeks but often you have to "relearn" a skill. Not actually relearn it, but relearn the muscle memory.

Jammers

As one who was just the right age during Vietnam to see what young men did to avoid the draft, let me assure everyone who is too young to know, figuring out ways to keep out of an illegal immoral war was every bit as honorable as being drafted and going off to fight.

I think Donald Trump is a horrible human being and among the worst things that ever happened to the United States. But the men I knew and cared about found many ways of avoiding the draft and that was the right thing for them to do. So I cannot and will not hold "bone spurs" against him.
Problem is Trump dodged the war not out of being against the war but because he had a rich daddy and is a coward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information