2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
So you don't believe Simone OR MyKayla? :rolleyes:

The anti-MyKayla brigade is getting as overbearing as the Fanyus and Yunabots. Everywhere on twitter, reddit, here, other boards, if you mention MyKayla with anything less than abject hatred, you're attacked as a bad person.

LOL. Literally every time someone tweets there's an army of Mykayla stans who chime in about how she should have been on the team and the team would have won if she had been on it, etc. Especially since they literally harassed Gabby and they are still at it. But yeah, the anti Mykayla brigade is getting old.

But when you are still out there retweeting things like this: https://twitter.com/lucy_chaos/status/1419209546434846727 Some people are going to take you at your word.

ilovesalchows

I actually think Skinner has the most pressure on her for the final. After all these years of a perception of being wrongly left off teams, if she doesn't medal it will be a bit of an anti-climax. I don't think she came to just play.

Biles has every gold in her set that she likely expected to get, except Olympic gold on beam. I hope she can rebound for the final.

FiveRinger

So you don't believe Simone OR MyKayla? :rolleyes:

The anti-MyKayla brigade is getting as overbearing as the Fanyus and Yunabots. Everywhere on twitter, reddit, here, other boards, if you mention MyKayla with anything less than abject hatred, you're attacked as a bad person.
I don't believe Mykayla. You don't get to tell a black woman (me) how to feel about another woman (Mykayla was 19 at the time) who tweeted and retweeted images of monkeys that represented another black athlete. That same woman used the n word in conversations that she had on SM. She was a grown ass woman at the time, she still hasn't taken proper accountability for it, and so I can feel however I want to feel about it.

She and her rabid fans, as referenced above, are still tweeting unsportsmanlike stuff. So no, I can't support her, I don't believe her. She hasn't tweeted anything telling them stop. Her husband was tweeting sh*t, even in respect to Simone withdrawing, in case you haven't heard. So no, I don't believe her.

Simone is entitled to her opinion. I have mine. I said on another thread that as much as I love Simone, I'm not going to go see her on tour because Mykayla will be there. That's it. That's all. Hate me, ignore me. At this point, I don't care. But you're not going to make me feel bad for calling out someone with a problematic history who is still problematic. Frankly, I think she was lucky to get the individual spot. I don't think she should be representing USA Gymnastics. Then again, with everything going on, she might be the perfect representation if there are enough people who think like she does and support her trash mindset. I mean...the latest illness that has come out of Nigeria was named Monkeypox, FFS. So it doesn't surprise me that there are people who are okay enough with her actions or can overlook them and then vilify me for saying something. That's so American. Thanks.

her grace

standing with Mariah
There is no mathematical formula that gets Maggie on that team whether you go by rank or highest scoring. Undeniably, the 12 months leading up to it may have played into those scores, but to people who obsessively follow the sport with spreadsheets, Gabby selection was pretty uncontroversial.

I think the Douglas selection was understandable, but I didn’t agree with it at the time ( and I have spreadsheets! :p) In 2016, you’re building the team around Biles, Raisman, and Hernandez. With these three, you’ve got beam and floor covered. You can strengthen vault or bars or both. Add Kocian to the team and you’ve now got one great bars score. So here’s where you choose either Locklear or Douglas to add another great bar routine or you add Skinner to add a third great vault score (and not have to use Hernandez’s DTY in finals). Marta went with bars AND with the bars worker who can also act as the back-up all-a rounder. That’s sensible. But there are good arguments for each of the three.
But Gabby was the reigning Olympic AA champ, current silver AA winner, and she was a bar worker. That's what the team needed. Marta knew she was a late season peaking gymnast. I don't think that there was much chance that Gabby wasn't going unless she didn't hit bars at Trials and Championships. Marta really liked Gabby.
Douglas didn’t hit bars at nationals or trials—she had big execution deductions at both, and was only third-best on bars. (Due to her high D score). If she had hit, there would have been less backlash. Nonetheless, Douglas did her job at the Olympics and hit nicely.

FiveRinger

Douglas didn’t hit bars at nationals or trials—she had big execution deductions at both, and was only third-best on bars. (Due to her high D score). If she had hit, there would have been less backlash. Nonetheless, Douglas did her job at the Olympics and hit nicely.
Thank you for the reminder. I didn't remember her falling, which is why I thought she hit. But I remember Marta being miked, talking about Gabby specifically saying not to worry if she wasn't in top form because she peaked late in the season.

Last edited:

Karen-W

the latest illness that has come out of Nigeria was named Monkeypox, FFS.
So, no, you're not correct about this... Here's the CDC page about monkeypox.

Monkeypox was first discovered in 1958 when two outbreaks of a pox-like disease occurred in colonies of monkeys kept for research, hence the name ‘monkeypox.’ The first human case of monkeypox was recorded in 1970 in the Democratic Republic of Congo during a period of intensified effort to eliminate smallpox. Since then monkeypox has been reported in humans in other central and western African countries.

Karen-W

It has made resurgence and there is someone in Dallas with said Monkeypox and when it was covered in the news here, it was called new.

And it's good to know that that was the only thing you took from that post. Next....
Hey, I'm just going with what the CDC has to say about the disease. Frankly, instead of believing everything you hear on the news, maybe do a tiny bit of research first because, honestly, my first thought when I read your post was "maybe it was first discovered in monkeys, hence the name..." and, lo and behold, not that's the truth, not some racist, white supremacy name for a disease originating out of Africa.

You're the one focusing on race here, not the gymnastics. I can respect other posters opinions of Skinner because they are focused on her form breaks and technical deficiencies. Those are about the sport not about what she said on SM about one other athlete or how she thinks she was unfairly left off the Rio team.

VGThuy

Athlete A isn't even about Gabby. It's about the Nassar abuse scandal.
I know that and yet Gabby seems to be mentioned and used as a point to provide some sort of story and narrative that Nichols was severely punished. Maybe she was but the way they falsely portray the team selection makes me question the credibility of their story and recitation of the facts.

FiveRinger

Hey, I'm just going with what the CDC has to say about the disease. Frankly, instead of believing everything you hear on the news, maybe do a tiny bit of research first because, honestly, my first thought when I read your post was "maybe it was first discovered in monkeys, hence the name..." and, lo and behold, not that's the truth, not some racist, white supremacy name for a disease originating out of Africa.
It is an offensive name regardless of whether it was first discovered in 1970 or last week. Stop with the senantics.There is nothing good that ever came from being called a monkey. And again, if that's your only argument, step back to right.

But that is not a conversation for this gymnastics thread.

Karen-W

It is an offensive name regardless of whether it was first discovered in 1970 or last week. Stop with the senantics.There is nothing good that ever came from being called a monkey. And again, if that's your only argument, step back to right.

Doesn't it get tiresome always looking for something to take offense at?

canbelto

I don't believe Mykayla. You don't get to tell a black woman (me) how to feel about another woman (Mykayla was 19 at the time) who tweeted and retweeted images of monkeys that represented another black athlete. That same woman used the n word in conversations that she had on SM. She was a grown ass woman at the time, she still hasn't taken proper accountability for it, and so I can feel however I want to feel about it.

She and her rabid fans, as referenced above, are still tweeting unsportsmanlike stuff. So no, I can't support her, I don't believe her. She hasn't tweeted anything telling them stop. Her husband was tweeting sh*t, even in respect to Simone withdrawing, in case you haven't heard. So no, I don't believe her.

Simone is entitled to her opinion. I have mine. I said on another thread that as much as I love Simone, I'm not going to go see her on tour because Mykayla will be there. That's it. That's all. Hate me, ignore me. At this point, I don't care. But you're not going to make me feel bad for calling out someone with a problematic history who is still problematic. Frankly, I think she was lucky to get the individual spot. I don't think she should be representing USA Gymnastics. Then again, with everything going on, she might be the perfect representation if there are enough people who think like she does and support her trash mindset. I mean...the latest illness that has come out of Nigeria was named Monkeypox, FFS. So it doesn't surprise me that there are people who are okay enough with her actions or can overlook them and then vilify me for saying something. That's so American. Thanks.

Holy shit. You realize I'm not white right? And I definitely wouldn't agree with MyKayla's politics.

But why do you watch the sport? Do you watch JUST to hate MyKayla? Because honestly, that's how it comes across. Everything relates to how much you hate MyKayla. I guess you also hate Simone for including MyKayla on the tour now?

Also, as I said, the misogyny is through the roof. Michael Andrew and Brody Malone's politics are as far right as it gets and people shrug. But apparently, it's okay to bully and harass MyKayla for years on end.

It's gross how it always seems okay to bully female athletes.

VGThuy

I hate how criticism of MyKayla is now being turned into some feminist thing where anytime you say about her her, you’re being a misogynist. Please. I’ve criticized male athletes I care about for bad or unsportsmanlike behavior as well. It’s only being twisted that way because looking at her actual behavior cannot be defended.

First it was she may be bad but other gymnasts are bad too! Then it was think of Simone and adopt her exact same thinking out of respect for Simone (how is ceasing to think for yourself equal to disrespecting Simone). Now it’s just, anybody who says less than stellar things about MyKayla are all misogynists and sexists!

I’ll remember that any time any woman gets criticized for anything.

canbelto

It IS misogynistic to expect that female athletes behave a certain "sportsmanlike" way. Trash-talking and rivalries are admired in many male athletes.

VGThuy

It IS misogynistic to expect that female athletes behave a certain "sportsmanlike" way. Trash-talking and rivalries are admired in many male athletes.
It’s not misogynistic if we ourselves don’t admire trash talking and rivalries. Not to mention racist acts. You don’t ****ing know each of us personally to call us misogynists and sexists so you need to back off now.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Chiming in with my two cents as someone who doesn't follow US athletes that closely to say that I feel I have read plenty of negative comments on Michael Andrew and Mykayla skinner here to say that it seems to have more to do with their personalities and behaviour rather than their sex.

I also am amused that someone who sees racism everywhere in the royalty threads chooses to label another poster who sees racism in monkey emoji's as a misogynist :confused:

canbelto

This is exactly like all the people who screamed "lock her up!" about Hillary. All of them swore it wasn't misogynistic, just that Hillary did so many bad, awful, terrible things! :rolleyes:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Also, as I said, the misogyny is through the roof. Michael Andrew and Brody Malone's politics are as far right as it gets and people shrug. But apparently, it's okay to bully and harass MyKayla for years on end.

You literally noticed that everyone has been rooting against Michael Andrew and hoping for him not to make finals and not to medal and positing articles about how gross he is, right?

Brody just came on to the scene, and I don't root for him, but Mykayla has been around a lot longer to make an impression. There's a big difference between how people are going to react to someone being a Trumper and someone literally bullying a teammate and deputizing their fans to do so. I don't respect Brody's political opinions at all, but he's not making racist posts about his teammates on social media.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Doesn't it get tiresome always looking for something to take offense at?
In my experience, many people don't have to actually look for things to take offense at because people can be just kind of awful to us. It's just an everyday part of life unfortunately.

With regards to Skinner, I want to believe people can learn and grow and change. I want to give people benefit of the doubt. I have reason to doubt though, a lot based on life experience. But I don't wish her ill either. It's a very neutral thing for me. She's doing her thing and that's that.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
This is exactly like all the people who screamed "lock her up!" about Hillary. All of them swore it wasn't misogynistic, just that Hillary did so many bad, awful, terrible things! :rolleyes:
IMO this is reaching-- yet again. There's always an -ist or -ism or -splaining attached to your thoughts and a classification for everyone that doesn't agree with you, as if your own personal thoughts are the only explanation. People first and foremost wanted Hillary locked up because they wanted some fuel to not let the other side win, and they didn't exactly have much to work with. Did some people not want a woman to win? Probably-- we saw some Republican women that didn't want a woman anywhere near the White House, for example. But in general were they all woman haters? No.

Do all of the Republicans who believed Biden was a rapist/child molester hate all men? No, it's politics and grasping for straws when you have nothing.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Yes. This is exactly like that. A whole bunch of international liberals on a figure skating board disliking a gymnast with a history of racism and bad sportsmanship is exactly the same as the Trump mob screaming "lock her up." You've got it. A+ with bonus points for your absolutely unimpeachable logic. :lol:

I think this comment really ends any need to talk to you about this. Everyone can see you left rationality behind ages ago.

FiveRinger

Holy shit. You realize I'm not white right? And I definitely wouldn't agree with MyKayla's politics.

But why do you watch the sport? Do you watch JUST to hate MyKayla? Because honestly, that's how it comes across. Everything relates to how much you hate MyKayla. I guess you also hate Simone for including MyKayla on the tour now?

It's gross how it always seems okay to bully female athletes.
I don't follow men's gymnastics so I can't speak on it. I stated upthread that I am catching up in the thread since I missed a lot of the live conpetition. I'll take you at your word. I've heard some things on this thread. I don't agree with what people have posted that he's said that I have seen. Pure trash.

I'm a woman. I'm not against women being athletic and competitive and wanting to win. That is not the point and you know it.

As for the other.....I'm stating how I feel. Me....over here I'm my corner giving my point of view. I'm stating my experience.

I don't know why I'm answering this stupid AF post, but here it goes.

I watch gymnastics. I have been a fan for decades. I will continue to watch long after she retires. To insinuate that I shouldn't watch because Mykayla is competing is ridiculous. And again, you are vilifying me for talking about what she did. I'm supposed to stop watching a sport that I love because of her....whatever.

I never said I hate Simone because it's not true. You're drawing conclusions that don't even make sense. Simone might know something I don't. But based on Mykayla and what I have seen of her own behavior, I'm not using my dollars to support her. I have the right to do that. And so does everyone else.

And I haven't had to miss much gymnastics if what you're saying is true. She hasn't been on my TV much since qualifications and there's only vault left.

When you post your twisted shit on social media, you are looking for a response. Don't get mad because people are responding in a way that is not flattering to you. And just because you remove those offensive things doesn't mean they went away. I'm not bullying Mykayla. I have never nor will I ever respond to any of her tweets. But to you to type that I'm the problem while she continues to do what she does and you are alright with it says just as much about you as her. That's the problem. People don't have to be accountable and being supported in their stupidity. All I did was call her out.

I have a tendency to admit when I'm wrong or if I change my mind about something. Not too long ago, in this thread I think, I took back everything I said about Jade and her approach to getting to the Olympics. I'd take back what I said about Mykayla if she'd give me a reason to. But she hasn't.

MsZem

It is an offensive name regardless of whether it was first discovered in 1970 or last week. Stop with the senantics. There is nothing good that ever came from being called a monkey. And again, if that's your only argument, step back to right.

According to the CDC:
two outbreaks of a pox-like disease occurred in colonies of monkeys kept for research, hence the name ‘monkeypox.’
Why is it offensive to name a disease that originated in monkeys after monkeys? And indeed, what on earth does this have to do with gymnastics?

There has been so much ugliness in US gymnastics, and much of it by people who abused the trust placed in them by girls and young women. I feel bad for the athletes who came up in such a toxic environment and are still struggling with the aftermath, and hope these Olympics will provide a much needed reset.

Also, I'd rather celebrate athletes like Suni Lee and Rebeca Andrade than rehash the MyKayla Skinner chronicles.

Last edited:

canbelto

The "monkeypox" ***** comes from a family of pox viruses. There's "cowpox" (which Dr. Edward Jenner used as an early vaccine for smallpox), there's smallpox, there's chickenpox.

Monkeypox came from two colonies of lab monkeys, hence the name. There's nothing racist about it.

And it isn't the same as calling C19 the "China *****" because the exact origins of C19 are still very obscure and unknown. It's also not as inaccurate as "Spanish flu" because the Spanish flu actually originated in Kansas.

You can read all about it here:

FiveRinger

According to the CDC:

Why is it offensive to name a disease that originated in monkeys after monkeys? And indeed, what on earth does this have to do with gymnastics?

There has been so much ugliness in US gymnastics, and much of it by people who abused the trust placed in them by girls and young women. I feel bad for the athletes who came up in such a toxic environment and are still struggling with the aftermath, and hope these Olympics will provide a much needed reset.

Also, I'd rather celebrate athletes like Suni Lee and Rebeca Andrade that rehash the MyKayla Skinner chronicles.
You are so offensive. You wouldn't ask a Chinese person why it's offensive to call ********* the China *****. I'm done.

ioana

Just popping in to request that someone start a new OG Gymnastics thread before the Event Finals start and include links to the start lists? Thanks in advance! :)

All set here 😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information