2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

skatingguy

Golden Team
Am I the only one out of patience with the official Olympics website?

I can't even load the start lists of the event finals through the schedule. I get that changes are a possibility, but then update the list, maybe?

I seem to be annoyed each time I am looking for something.
The start lists are there for tomorrow's events.

Men's Apparatus Preliminaries

Women's Apparatus Preliminaries

Susan1

The start lists are there for tomorrow's events.

Men's Apparatus Preliminaries

Women's Apparatus Preliminaries

Am I reading this wrong? It's got Sunday's events as already "finished". And it isn't even Sunday in Tokyo yet.

Susan1

I think you're looking at last Sunday's events.
O.k. Duh, huh? I was thinking it was a current list since today is Saturday, but then they wouldn't be posting results, would they. I guess this is not going to help me anyway. I wanted to know when I could see them on t.v. Even the NBC networks schedule doesn't have it. It's got when archery and equestrian dressage are being shown but not artistic gymnastics. The whole day thing on the cable guide just has all those things listed, from 8-2 or whatever. I just happened to be watching CNBC when they showed a specific schedule of their shows that night, and saw the trampoline thing.

VGThuy

Every time I hear Athlete A mentioned, the worse it sounds from a factual point of view. What? Did they just get a bunch of gymnasts, who for their own reasons, just wanted to pile on Gabby and spread fake news about her robbing people?

Lara

It's JJ style!
So when does rhythmic get started, and who should I be YouTubing before it starts?

Twins Dina and Arina Averina (Russia) will be favorites for gold so probably should start there. Also agree re. Linoy Ashram.
Some other routines I'd suggest:

Anastasia Salos (Belarus) - hoop

Boryana Kaleyn (Bulgaria) - ball and clubs
She actually beat Dina at Europeans, so good podium possibility along with Ashram.

Alina Harnasko (Belarus) - ball and ribbon

I hadn't actually heard the song "Humanity" by Scorpions before seeing this routine and wow at the lyrics, you'd think it was written today instead of decades ago. :eek:
Nikol Zelkman (Israel) ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O52Ao3WIjdU

And I have to include the best routine that unfortunately won't be seen in Tokyo (barring replacement) due to the two-per-country rule. :( Rooting for her next quad!
Sofia Raffaeli (Italy) clubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaGuRNXvak

And my favourite team routine (wait for the change of music):
Italy 3 hoops 2 pairs clubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzi0vGvzzJg

Frau Muller

Sailing the Seven Ultra-Cs!
Twins Dina and Arina Averina (Russia) will be favorites for gold so probably should start there. Also agree re. Linoy Ashram.
Some other routines I'd suggest:

Anastasia Salos (Belarus) - hoop

Boryana Kaleyn (Bulgaria) - ball and clubs
She actually beat Dina at Europeans, so good podium possibility along with Ashram.

Alina Harnasko (Belarus) - ball and ribbon

I hadn't actually heard the song "Humanity" by Scorpions before seeing this routine and wow at the lyrics, you'd think it was written today instead of decades ago. :eek:
Nikol Zelkman (Israel) ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O52Ao3WIjdU

And I have to include the best routine that unfortunately won't be seen in Tokyo (barring replacement) due to the two-per-country rule. :( Rooting for her next quad!
Sofia Raffaeli (Italy) clubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaGuRNXvak

And my favourite team routine (wait for the change of music):
Italy 3 hoops 2 pairs clubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzi0vGvzzJg
Best summer Olympics sport! (The unofficial First Lady of Russia may agree.) 😉

ioana

Am so happy Melanie de Jesus dos Santos got in the UB finals. France had a rough outing in Team finals and Marine Boyer couldn't seem to stop crying after their last rotation. Anything that helps them improve on that Olympic experience is a good thing in my book.

FiveRinger

I haven't had a chance to watch live events and be in this thread much since Tuesday. I'm still catching up on posts. I read the last 4 pages and will go back and read more. But just an FYI about Gabby and Simone....Simone and Maggie were best friends at that time. I respect Simone's opinion, but she was biased. Of course she thought Maggie should have been on the team. She wanted her there. But Gabby was the reigning Olympic AA champ, current silver AA winner, and she was a bar worker. That's what the team needed. Marta knew she was a late season peaking gymnast. I don't think that there was much chance that Gabby wasn't going unless she didn't hit bars at Trials and Championships. Marta really liked Gabby.

FiveRinger

I don't see anything wrong with that tweet. Why shouldn't she be happy to get a chance? I'm no Skinner fan, but the girl is like the Energizer bunny and I gotta respect that.
It's not genuine. She's not doing anything for Simone as the tweet says. She's doing it for herself. I'm fine with that. But don't get out there and represent that as something else. Mykayla is selfish as hell and she proves that every time she retweets that she was supposed to be on the team instead of someone else.

Karen-W

It's not genuine. She's not doing anything for Simone as the tweet says. She's doing it for herself. I'm fine with that. But don't get out there and represent that as something else. Mykayla is selfish as hell and she proves that every time she retweets that she was supposed to be on the team instead of someone else.
So, you're in her head and know all of her motivations for doing anything and it's all purely, entirely selfish? Bet you know what I'm thinking right now too...

FiveRinger

So, you're in her head and know all of her motivations for doing anything and it's all purely, entirely selfish? Bet you know what I'm thinking right now too...
I don't profess to have those gifts. But her Twitter feed, the one where she has tweeted and retweeted her racist and unsportsmanlike bullsh*t, and where she continues to retreat unsportsmanlike bullsh*t, says more than enough for me not to have to be in her head to know how she thinks. So, yeah, I stand by my description. She's fake as hell for this tweet. And she's selfish for a bunch of other ones.

Karen-W

I don't profess to have those gifts. But her Twitter feed, the one where she has tweeted and retweeted her racist and unsportsmanlike bullsh*t, and where she continues to retreat unsportsmanlike bullsh*t, says more than enough for me not to have to be in her head to know how she thinks. So, yeah, I stand by my description. She's fake as hell for this tweet. And she's selfish for a bunch of other ones.
We get it. You can't stand her and think she's fake and doesn't deserve any medals. All you're doing, though, is convincing a lot of other people who couldn't have cared less before you began raging about her all over this thread, to cheer for her to medal.

canbelto

what's she supposed to do? Scratch the event?

This is where gymnastics fans are misogynistic as hell. They act so offended when a gymnast (god forbid) wants to win. It's "poor sportsmanship" blah blah blah. Does anyone get this pressed if, say, Caeleb Dressel wants to win?

FiveRinger

what's she supposed to do? Scratch the event?

This is where gymnastics fans are misogynistic as hell. They act so offended when a gymnast (god forbid) wants to win. It's "poor sportsmanship" blah blah blah. Does anyone get this pressed if, say, Caeleb Dressel wants to win?
No. Not at all. But all she had to say was that she was glad to compete. I'm not taking that away from her. She earned that spot. I congratulate her for that, regardless of my personal feelings.

But to say she's doing it for Simone is disingenuous. That is my point. Of course you're supposed to compete if you earned the spot. I'm not unreasonable.

FiveRinger

We get it. You can't stand her and think she's fake and doesn't deserve any medals. All you're doing, though, is convincing a lot of other people who couldn't have cared less before you began raging about her all over this thread, to cheer for her to medal.
You deserve what you earn. Whether you deserve that opportunity for the chance is another story.

And you're opinion of what I think has is greater than I ever gave myself credit for if it causes people to root for Mykayla. Maybe I should run for office.

Karen-W

No. Not at all. But all she had to say was that she was glad to compete. I'm not taking that away from her. She earned that spot. I congratulate her for that, regardless of my personal feelings.

But to say she's doing it for Simone is disingenuous. That is my point. Of course you're supposed to compete if you earned the spot. I'm not unreasonable.
Why can't both be true? That she is glad to compete but that she's also doing it for Simone? Whatever she said about Gabby Douglas or being left off the Rio team or continued retweets from fans who believe she was unjustly left off the team, that doesn't preclude her from having a good relationship with Simone. They've joked about being the "grandmas" on the team, and were sitting next to each other in the stands. It IS possible that she wants to compete and do well to honor Simone's impact and contribution to their sport.

FiveRinger

Why can't both be true? That she is glad to compete but that she's also doing it for Simone? Whatever she said about Gabby Douglas or being left off the Rio team or continued retweets from fans who believe she was unjustly left off the team, that doesn't preclude her from having a good relationship with Simone. They've joked about being the "grandmas" on the team, and were sitting next to each other in the stands. It IS possible that she wants to compete and do well to honor Simone's impact and contribution to their sport.
She's also slated to be on tour with Simone and has a financial motivation to maintain a relationship with her. I'm sorry, I just am not buying what she's selling. Doesn't make me wrong or you right. And as a person of color, a mature (not old) person of color, I just can't get over that.

ETA: I need to see more "growth" and that hasn't happened yet.

ioana

It IS possible that she wants to compete and do well to honor Simone's impact and contribution to their sport.
I hope you're proven right and this just comes across as questionable because of her past SM posts and comments. I would still much rather see an under-represented country take a medal on vault, like Korea or Mexico -unlikely as that might be.

canbelto

She's also slated to be on tour with Simone and had a financial motivation to maintain a relationship with her. I'm sorry, I just am not buying what she's selling. Doesn't make me wrong or you right. And as a person of color, a mature (not old) person of color, I just can't get over that.

So you don't believe Simone OR MyKayla? :rolleyes:

The anti-MyKayla brigade is getting as overbearing as the Fanyus and Yunabots. Everywhere on twitter, reddit, here, other boards, if you mention MyKayla with anything less than abject hatred, you're attacked as a bad person.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Athlete A isn't even about Gabby. It's about the Nassar abuse scandal.

It's specifically about Maggie Nichols experience as someone who spoke out about Nassar while she was still competing. The premise was that she was punished politically and kept off of the Olympic Team because of it, and an 'undeserving' gymnast (Gabby Douglas) went in her place.

clairecloutier

It's specifically about Maggie Nichols experience as someone who spoke out about Nassar while she was still competing. The premise was that she was punished politically and kept off of the Olympic Team because of it, and an 'undeserving' gymnast (Gabby Douglas) went in her place.

I don't remember Gabby as being a main focus of the film at all? The film definitely strongly raised the question of whether Maggie was punished politically for reporting. But I don't remember anything about Gabby explicitly being the beneficiary of that?

Time for everyone to move on from the 2016 selection. It's not like it can be changed at this point. Gabby performed beautifully in Rio (I remember being in some ways more impressed by her there than in London). She was a worthy member of the team. Although I'm sure Maggie or MyKayla would have been good as well.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
We are talking about Skinner & Co.'s sportsmanship, so that is why her actions after team selection in 2016 keep coming up.

ioana

Time for everyone to move on from the 2016 selection. It's not like it can be changed at this point.

Moving along from questionable results is not exactly a strong suit for skating fans. But it is a very good point :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information