2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

Judy

The sheer joy and excitement in Simone's voice is just everything. She will definitely do amazing things even if she never does another gymnastics routine again.
I’m a little behind on the news .. did Simone withdraw completely from everything?

Yes of course she will.

ChelleC

Haven't had a chance to watch all week but tonight I will (even though of course they'll run this as last event in the coverage). I'm actually relieved for Simone that Suni won, it's a much better story arc this way.
Thus far, NBC has been showing the gymnastics at the beginning of the broadcast.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Eurosport are alleging that choreographers spend hours working with the gymnasts on their floor routines. Operator, I would like to report multiple cases of fraud and deception please. :p
Was this the guy:
bio_spirit.jpg

skatfan

It still remains to be seen whether she'll do the EFs. I hope she does honestly, but only if she feels up to it.
I'm doubtful, sad to say. Vault definitely not. Bars - why would she when she isn't a medal threat? Floor - no, if she's feeling lost in the air. Beam - I shudder to think about how she could injure herself there too.

VGThuy

I'm doubtful, sad to say. Vault definitely not. Bars - why would she when she isn't a medal threat? Floor - no, if she's feeling lost in the air. Beam - I shudder to think about how she could injure herself there too.
You're honestly right.

I'm glad Simone is still there though, watching her teammates compete and providing support. Another poster mentioned that she should have left since apparently half the country sees her as "ridiculous" (I don't agree with that estimate). But I think her teammates are glad she's around and is serving as their biggest supporter/fan in the stands. She has a lot of experience they can draw from.

miffy

The presenters on Eurosport won’t stop talking about Simone. I admire her for all she has achieved and understand she is an amazing gymnast. but I would rather hear just a little about the actual medalists and people who did compete. The commentary itself was a fair balance, of course she needs to be mentioned, but outside the commentary it seems too extreme. The first day it was understandable, but by day 3 it’s really boring.

ErikWilliam

Maybe, maybe not. Suni's win could jolt her out of her current funk and reenergize her for EFs and she'll be like the Biles of old. The pressure is totally off her now. She's now competing for herself only. I think/hope this will vault her into the record books.

ioana

Had never seen seen Yunseo Lee before, but she had such nice lines and presentation. Don't remember last time there were no big leg separations in a bar routine. Shame about sitting down after the split jump at the end of her gym acro series jump on beam. A lot of the gymnasts I liked actually missed out on higher placements because of beam, Kovacs and Moor were in the same boat.

Also, so so happy for Mai Murakami finishing 5th. She didn't seem that thrilled, but am sure she'll come around.
Was this Kim Bui's last competition? She looked very emotional hugging her coach and she's been around seemingly forever -in a good way!

michalle

Is she still practicing? If her practices are going well maybe that will encourage her and help her feel she's re-gained her confidence. If and only if that's something she wants. If it's not, that's ok too.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Was this Kim Bui's last competition? She looked very emotional hugging her coach and she's been around seemingly forever -in a good way!
The CBC commentator did say she was retiring, but she's not always reliable so who knows. She's a three time Olympian after missing on her first try. That's quite remarkable!

Jimena

The replays on peacock are just the NBC coverage! I want to see the whole competition. Where can I see the entire men's team and AA events?

HELP!!!!!

ioana

The CBC commentator did say she was retiring, but she's not always reliable so who knows. She's a three time Olympian after missing on her first try. That's quite remarkable!

It's a trend that makes me very happy. I remember back in the 90's when comments like 'well, it is her second Olympics, so she must be so tired by now' were common place. Chusho led the way, but so many other gymnasts are now following and competing at a very high level for 10+ years.

ioana

The replays on peacock are just the NBC coverage! I want to see the whole competition. Where can I see the entire men's team and AA events?

HELP!!!!!
Not sure if this link works for you, but

https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-womens-individual-all-around-final-apparatus-feed

MsZem

An excellent article from Slate commenting on the role that NBC has placed in terms of ramping up the hype around Biles' probable recapturing of the gold and the all-around title. They had better not do this to Nathan Chen again.

Nathan is not defending an Olympic title, so the expectations probably won't be as daunting; he's not going in there as the GOAT. And he's also not dealing with the sort of trauma Simone has experienced. Hopefully he'll be okay and won't be too affected by whatever NBC does.

Matryeshka

I know I’m an absolutely broken record fawning over Andrade’s medal, but here’s Daiane dos Santos and Galvão Bueno’s (he’s the main sports narrator in the country, in the biggest TV channel, and they were commenting the AA on open TV) reactions.

I just can’t get over seeing how the previous generation of Brazilian gymnasts is reacting to this result. :swoon:

I’m also very happy about how wholesome overall the reactions to this podium have been.
Go ahead and fangirl all you want. I'd much rather read happy posts than bellyaching shoulda/coulda/woulda

sk9tingfan

Nathan is not defending an Olympic title, so the expectations probably won't be as daunting; he's not going in there as the GOAT. And he's also not dealing with the sort of trauma Simone has experienced. Hopefully he'll be okay and won't be too affected by whatever NBC does.
But he is the 3X World Champion and has not been defeated since the last Olympics. He also is 5 years younger than Hanyu.
I sent a tweet to a myriad of NBC personnel, commentators and Today Show hosts, recommending that they read this article from Slate as well as a request that they not do the same thing to Nathan that they did to Simone.

tony

I don't understand why people are so quick to blame media. It's nothing new, and it's likely amped up because of social media as a whole and athletes getting glimpses into constant instant thoughts by the population, rather than it being NBC or any other one outlet. There are self-proclaimed psychiatrists, like usual, all over the place diagnosing her or stating things matter-of-fact that she never said. For all we know, she could've gotten nervous because of one bad landing on vault or any other apparatus and it could've thrown everything into a tailspin. Maybe she does have a small injury and it's messing with her mind. Who knows? But at the end of the day, she doesn't owe anyone anything, nor does any other athlete competing for their own medals or personal bests.

I wish social media would require verification from users before they posted all the dumb shit that they post- guarantee many of them wouldn't be acting like trolls when they can't be 'browncow' anymore.

And I think it's already been touched upon, but in the past we may have seen people dealing with mental issues that simply noted injury as their withdrawal reason. And then everyone feels bad for their injury most of the time and wishes them the best. Because there is more awareness towards the psychological side of things now, I think we will see more and more athletes come out with their actual issues and we will continue to see troll behavior, even from people on this board, that think just because they were able to get past the nerves and/or adversities through their lives that everyone else should too.

Last edited:

ioana

I wish social media would require verification from users before they posted all the dumb shit that they post- guarantee many of them wouldn't be acting like trolls when they can't be 'browncow' anymore.

Yes, requiring every account to have blue ticks before they can post or send DM's make a lot of sense. This is something you see even more frequently in sports like tennis, where angry betters send horrible messages when they lose money -or polar opposites in case the match ends up going their way. Verified accounts shouldn't just be required for 'celebrities'. Am pretty sure some of the idiots trolling Simone now use the same accounts they log into when they lose betting money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information