2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

Cachoo

So much drama! Congrats to all. Proud of the Americans and Brits and the ROC team rocked! Great stuff. Now show me the Chinese women on the p-bars. :inavoid:

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Not with two beam falls counting for Russia and Simone being her usual ok self without the major errors (outside of vault) that she did in quals.
Which is why I said "if the rest of her events went the way her vault did." There's clearly something off with Biles.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Okay?
I responded to a post, somewhat bitter, about ROC would never win if Biles was healthy.

You know I don't follow gymnastics or care enough about any of these athletes for you to be reading something into what I said. So I am certainly not pretending anything :rolleyes:

Why would I pay that much attention to how much you follow gymnastics? There are thousands of people on this board. I responded to a comment that Russia was the better team today, when actually, after all the comments that USA would basically be terrible and lose by 100 points if Simone weren't there, the US team did great even without her.

becca

To be fair, the US team also had only 3 gymnasts while Russia had 4. Russia deserves their gold, but they would also have had a harder time with 3 gymnasts. So lets not pretend it's just an issue of team vs. individual. It's also 4 vs. 3. The US team rallied in a tough situation and proved they are not all about Simone.
The Russian fourth gymnast only competed one event. Like Simone. The Russian team was always about those three gymnasts

Karen-W

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Simone competes in any of the EFs. She might grit it out for FX but she isn't a serious contender for UB gold, so I can't see her putting herself at further risk of injury doing that. BB - maybe? VT - I think she'll pull out and give Mykayla a shot at some hardware.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Russia has three great All-Arounders. They only used Akhaimova on vault, just like Simone was only used on vault. However, yes they would've had a tough time had it been one of their stars that had to be pulled.

Using Simone on vault technically hurt the USA since Suni's prelims score was quite a bit higher. Obviously no one knew that would happen, but having Simone on vault didn't help the US literally at all. And considering that Simone was not supposed to be used on one event, that's not a great comparison. But still, suddenly losing an all arounder is a lot different than choosing to use someone only on vault and having that be your plan.

OlieRow

Jordan hitting the floor would have been a nice way to rally. I have a feeling Skinner’s fans will be relentless after this team final.
I'm sure they'll be vocal but fact of the matter is this is why I would've picked this team. It might not be why Tom picked it but that's a different conversation. In the event of injury with a 4 person team, you've gotta have a built in back-up plan and flexibility. Having Grace there and able to do AA in TF's knowing that she's clean and reliable was huge. I mean we would've had to put Skinner up on UB/BB in TF...

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
It begs the question... Did her coaching team make the right choice, in pushing the technical of WAG so far? If the bar hadn't been pushed so far, would she have been injured?
Gymnasts are injured all the time, so maybe? Maybe not? Would Simone Biles be Simone Biles if she hadn't pushed the technical so far? Would Simone have ever reached her full potential without pushing so far?

She could have held back and gotten an injury this morning anyway. Would that be better?

millyskate

The Russian fourth gymnast only competed one event. Like Simone. The Russian team was always about those three gymnasts
Yes, and if that fourth gymnast had needed to cover vault as well they most likely would have still been just fine. Today, ROC was the better team, which doesn't mean we're not all sad for Simone and her struggles - whether physical or mental or both.
And Sunisa Lee performed amazingly. She will be a contender for AA gold and I love her gymnastics.

VGThuy

The most interesting thing about tonight is the battle for bronze.

ROC deserved to win based on what was actually done. However, I saw very little relationship to Soviet gymnastics. I don't remember Soviet gymnastics being Cirque du Soleil.

Suni was gorgeous and I'm not actually a fan. I sort of only thought of her as a bar worker until tonight. I don't know what is going on with the other Americans and their underperforming.
I agree with this. The Russians are very overrated as dancers but everyone else at the top apart from the Dutch (but even they twirl and pirouette too much now) are really fug with their dance and have no artistry to speak of, so it makes the Russians look better. Kind of like the way Mustafina would be lauded for being fluid and artistic when all she did was pose without any dance ability but with pointed toes and good carriage…and with some of the worst twisting form from a top gymnast of her era.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
So...possible Gold medals for Italy's Ferrari in FloorEx...or for Brazil's Rebeca Andrade in All-around or an apparatus final???

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Yes, and if that fourth gymnast had needed to cover vault as well they most likely would have still been just fine. Today, ROC was the better team, which doesn't mean we're not all sad for Simone and her struggles - whether physical or mental or both.
And Sunisa Lee performed amazingly. She will be a contender for AA gold and I love her gymnastics.
Yes and ROC was the better team in the preliminaries as well when USA had all their athletes competing so I’m going to give this Olympics to them.

No disrespect to Team USA. They are all awesome but this is the way sport goes sometimes, right?

Congrats to ROC, USA and GBR!!

becca

The fourth gymnast can do the AA but no where near their other but may have scored better than floor.

A team final
They would have been fine without that fourth gymnast’a vault. Viktoria has a perfectly good DTY.

The Russian coaches announced the top 3 earily made two other girls Duke it out for fourth spot (it might have been mistake not to take the Beamer)

The Russian team essential was 3 girls lol Any team with those 3 would be formidable.

ryanj07

Using Simone on vault technically hurt the USA since Suni's prelims score was quite a bit higher. Obviously no one knew that would happen, but having Simone on vault didn't help the US literally at all. And considering that Simone was not supposed to be used on one event, that's not a great comparison. But still, suddenly losing an all arounder is a lot different than choosing to use someone only on vault and having that be your plan.
I wasn't speaking to the quality/difference of their gymnastics. Your original post just said basically "Russia had 4, USA only 3" which wasn't necessarily the case. That's all I'm saying. :)

Simone411

Crazy about Jason, Karen's Spiral & Michelle Kwan
To be fair, the US team also had only 3 gymnasts while Russia had 4. Russia deserves their gold, but they would also have had a harder time with 3 gymnasts. So lets not pretend it's just an issue of team vs. individual. It's also 4 vs. 3. The US team rallied in a tough situation and proved they are not all about Simone.
This. The other three earned their spots on Team USA by working hard, practicing all year long especially with the Olympics being delayed for one year. They're nothing to "spit" at.

I like everyone else watched the team the other night. All of them were brilliant, and I was totally impressed with Jade! She was awesome! I was also proud of MyKayla and Suni. I was proud of all of them. They pulled their own weight and did an impeccable job. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I think for the rest of the team it was the best thing that happened to them that Simone pulled out. If they had won Silver with Simone after being lauded as the absolute Gold favorite with a four fall cushion and then they lost - the media would have been brutal (we saw it after prelims).
But now the narrative can be that the team rallied and fought even without their strongest member so that Grace, Jordan and Sunisa can be proud of themselves instead of feeling like letting everyone down.
I only wish, Jordan hadn't fallen - that sucks and did not make a difference in the end anyway.

BUt like this I hope the media will be supportive instead of brutal.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic

Karen-W

Ummmm this is Skinner's husband right? Oooffff

(I don't know why this popped up on my twitter feed but yeah0
Looks like TSL screenshot his IG and then tweeted it?

But, uhm, the best team was always going to have Simone (and Sunisa) on it, so he's just stupid if he thinks that gold was within the USA's grasp with any other combination of Simone/Sunisa + two other gymnasts once Simone went down. And the same would have been true had Suni been the one injured.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information