2020 OG Gymnastics Thread: The Takedown In Tokyo

Sylvia

So happy the JGP season is back!
For those in the U.S. who can stream NBC, link to watch the U.S. Men's podium training replay from Wednesday (~2.5 hours): https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-mens-podium-training

U.S. Women's podium training - Thursday's replay link (95 mins.): https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-womens-podium-training

@Braulio has summarized the U.S. women's practice and posted some clips in the Gymnastics news #22 thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...22-tokyo-or-bust.105857/page-100#post-6022308

Sylvia

Men's preview article by LA Times' Helene Elliott:

Please post links to your preferred gymnastics coverage outlets (I don't follow the sport enough to know).

Last edited:

Sylvia

This should be in the Olympic forum, non?
Yes, I've already asked for it to be moved there (eta) thanks, @allezfred!

Quarantined U.S. alt Leanne Wong has posted an update. Roommate Kara Eaker (who was vaccinated & took all precautions) continues to be in isolation after positive ********* test results. ❤️ Our heart goes out to both and we wish them well.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Will this thread also include rhythmic gymnastics, or will that have its own thread? I started watching videos of competitions during lockdown, and I kind of love it.

Sylvia

Will this thread also include rhythmic gymnastics, or will that have its own thread? I started watching videos of competitions during lockdown, and I kind of love it.
RG is scheduled for August 6-8 in Tokyo... let's see how many pages this thread'll be up to by then! ;) (In Rio, we had threads locked at 1000 posts but this rule is no longer in effect.)

Sylvia

Fort Collins Coloradoan article by Kelly Lyell:
Excerpts:
Gene Koehnke knew immediately there was something special about Yul Moldauer.
Within days of putting him on a pommel horse, the young gymnast – then 10 years old – mastered a double-leg circle that usually takes a year or more to learn in just a few days.
“I knew then this kid was great,” Koehnke said Tuesday. “He didn’t have any fear.”
Koehnke, a veteran coach and longtime owner of GK Gymnastics, was spot on in his evaluation.
Orsa and Peter Moldauer adopted Yul, who was born in South Korea, when he was 5 months old. Orsa and Peter already had two girls, Leah and Sorcha, and later adopted another boy from South Korea, Sundo.
Yul was born prematurely, with medical problems doctors feared he would never overcome, Peter told the Oklahoman in a recent story.
He was 7 when his parent signed him up for a tumbling class at Mountain Center, a gymnastics facility in Fort Collins. He was a natural and quickly worked his way up the competitive levels. After the coach who helped him win a regional Junior Olympics title as a Level 7 gymnast, got out of the game, Moldauer’s family took him to GK (now Timberline Gymnastics).
Sasha Cohen spoke to Moldauer for the Team USA podcast before he competed in the Olympic Team Trials:

Sylvia

Brooklee Han interviewed Nastia Liukin before she left for Tokyo:
Excerpt:

As a viewer and a former athlete myself, I really appreciate your ability as an analyst to offer critical insight while remaining positive. Is this a challenging balance for you to maintain?
I think the more challenging balance for me is balancing my personal relationships with the athletes and my job as an analyst. I talk to a lot of the athletes, like Simone for instance, all the time. But I have to view her as two separate people. When we’re texting or calling, we’re just friends, and when she’s in the gym competing and I’m on air commentating, we’re in our own elements. So it’s not that I don’t have a relationship with her outside of my job, but essentially there is a level of trust. I know if she’s sharing something with me personally or if we’re on a call and it’s an NBC call. So there’s a line of having to trust and it goes both ways.
At first it was hard talking about my friends and sometimes someone would say something negative and it was hard not to fight back and be extra positive. I know what it’s like being an athlete and it’s hard not to stand up for people. Especially your friends, but [also every other athlete], because I know what goes into even just getting to a Nationals or getting to any competition.

semillon27

@HeatherC in response to your post in the old thread, all men's teams seemed to have big issues on vault. Sounds like the springboard is really tight. Lauren from The Gymternet tweeted that it seemed to be an issue for front-entry vaults (which the men do a lot more of) and not such an issue for Yurchenko style vaults. Apparently the place you hit the board is different for the different styles. I didn't see any reports of how front-entry vaults went for women who do them, though did see one post that Lu Yufei opted not to do her Tsuk double (maybe for that reason, but not confirmed).

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think it's an entirely different beatboard / spring board for Yurchenko style vaults, but I'm not sure.

I think Brody Malone is not 100%. There was an intrasquad a few weeks ago that he sat out.

canbelto

I've got a pressing question. So subdivision 1 of the men's quals is at 9 PM EST right? Is it going to be carried anywhere or is it only on peacock?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
For the US, it looks like it will be on nbcolympics.com if you have a cable subscription.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
@canbelto - Gymnastics will be available for free through Peacock - you just need to register for an account.

And so Peacock will offer only early-morning live coverage of gymnastics, track and field and Team USA men’s basketball. The gymnastics and track and field will be free, although ad-supported; the U.S. men’s basketball games will be available live only as part of the Peacock Premium service, which costs $4.99 per month.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It looks like Peacock is only showing the prelim sessions that the US is in.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
@HeatherC in response to your post in the old thread, all men's teams seemed to have big issues on vault. Sounds like the springboard is really tight. Lauren from The Gymternet tweeted that it seemed to be an issue for front-entry vaults (which the men do a lot more of) and not such an issue for Yurchenko style vaults. Apparently the place you hit the board is different for the different styles. I didn't see any reports of how front-entry vaults went for women who do them, though did see one post that Lu Yufei opted not to do her Tsuk double (maybe for that reason, but not confirmed).

Thanks for the info! :)

BTW-Is it mean of me to think that they're putting Sam last because they trust the other three guys more to hit and want to be safe just in case Sam becomes a head case again? :lol: (I love Sam but I've lost track of how many times he's become a head case at big events... :eek: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information