2020 Non-Presidential U.S. Elections

gkelly

I just completed a telephone survey about Maryland state politics.

The young woman asking the questions often made sympathetic noises in response to my answers and occasionally seemed to prompt me toward "strongly" approving or disapproving of certain statements.

Maybe she has just been trained to mirror back respondents' attitudes toward them. But it made her personally sound less than neutral on some of the issues.

ballettmaus

I just read that Denny Heck is retiring. What's his district like? Likely to stay blue anyway?

ballettmaus

Rep. Jeff Van Drew is expected to switch parties because 58% of likely Democratic voters want another Democrat to run for his seat. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-urges-rep-van-drew-anti-impeachment-democrat-to-switch-parties/2019/12/14/b201bb4a-1ea0-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html

I get leaving the party. But switching over when the Republican Party is prostituting itself to the most abhorrent human-being of our times? I hope he can live with himself and I say good-riddance.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well this is the first time I've been scared by the left taking a possible spoiler position in 2020. I wonder what others think.

I just got an email from Sunrise Movement about the Kentucky senate race and criticizing Amy McGrath and endorsing a different candidate in the Dem race to face the devil the world's most cynical politician Mitch McConnell:

Amy flip-flops3 on issues depending on the day, she refused to take a side on impeachment even this week4, and she’s lost every election she’s run. With McConnell, at least we know what we’re going to get. Here in Kentucky, voters are just not fired up about McGrath, and it’s going to take a whole lot of energy and inspiration to take on McConnell.

But, there is another way. This month, Sunrise Movement announced our endorsement5 for a new kind of Senator in Kentucky, one who speaks clearly about what Kentuckians need. His name is Representative Charles Booker. He backs the Green New Deal, has sworn off fossil fuel money, he’s ready to fight for the dignity of our people, and I can tell you for sure that he's only candidate who can win.
I mean, what do I know about Kentucky? Only that usually in red states leftwing candidates don't win, even against very bad Republicans and that a divided Democratic Party is not a ticket to success.

ETA: Robert Reich recently made a lovely video in which he insisted, absolutely, that only Warren or Sanders can beat Trump. This is the left I know! Totally deluded. :fragile: I want to elect supporters of the Green New Deal and Universal Health Care but I don't want to see the left fall back into Ralph-Naderism.

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
ETA: Robert Reich recently made a lovely video in which he insisted, absolutely, that only Warren or Sanders can beat Trump.
IMO no one knows who can beat Trump. But somehow we aren't supposed to vote for the candidate we think would make the best president but the one who can beat Trump. All righty then.

Vagabond

Pompeo won't run for Senate in Kansas

I am not surprised. Pompeo could hardly have walked away from his current position to campaign for the nomination, nor could he have campaigned while serving as Secretary of State. Whether he likes it or not, he is shackled to Trump for the time being.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Pompeo won't run for Senate in Kansas

I am not surprised. Pompeo could hardly have walked away from his current position to campaign for the nomination, nor could he have campaigned while serving as Secretary of State. Whether he likes it or not, he is shackled to Trump for the time being.
Don't you think the possibility of war with Iran changed his mind? Seemed like he was ready to get out of there and then the opportunity to oversee something he has always wanted came to the fore.

Vagabond

Don't you think the possibility of war with Iran changed his mind? Seemed like he was ready to get out of there and then the opportunity to oversee something he has always wanted came to the fore.
I do think it changed his mind. That's why I'm not surprised.

I am sure he would have preferred being Senator from a state that has not elected a Democrat to the Senate since the 1930's to being Trump's Secretary of State.

Vagabond

Morning Consult's Senator Approval Rankings

Susan Collins' net approval rating in her state is now the lowest in the Senate, even lower than Mitch McConnell's.

I am somewhat surprised to find Elizabeth Warren ninth from the bottom on this list. She won re-election in 2018 with more than 60% of the vote.

Vagabond

Yes, but then she dared to run for President. 🤷‍♀️
Sanders and Klobuchar are in the top seven.

🤔 :duh:

They must have such high net approval ratings because it they win, they won't be Senator any longer! :p

I seem to hijacked the Non-Presidential Elections thread. :slinkaway

ballettmaus

A Republican-affiliated group has bought an ad supporting the Democrat who is believed to be the lesser threat to Tillis' seat. https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/politics/north-carolina-republican-democratic-primary/index.html?utm_source=twCNNp&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-02-06T00:14:10&utm_term=image

Faith and Power, a new political action committee with ties to Republicans, formally launched on January 29 and quickly placed a $1.56 million broadcast ad in the Democratic primary, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission and the Kantar Media's Campaign Media Analysis Group.

The ad aims to boost Smith over Cal Cunningham, who has been endorsed by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and has raised significantly more money.

The winner of the Democratic primary will face Republican Sen. Thom Tillis, who may prefer to run against Smith. Her campaign had on hand less than $100,000 at the end of 2019. Cunningham's campaign, meanwhile, had more than $1.7 million.

Zemgirl

Michelle Caruso-Cabrera will primary AOC: https://cnn.it/31IMPZI

Can’t wait to donate to her campaign. Let’s put ignorant AOC back behind a bar, where she belongs. :kickass:
It's fine to dislike AOC, but she does have a brain and an education.

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
It's fine to dislike AOC, but she does have a brain and an education.
Ignorant doesn't mean stupid, though.

I think AOC is doing fine and obviously learning and improving. Not that it matters to me. She's not my Congress critter

Louis

C'mon, Louis, you're better than that. Read her bio.
What’s not factual? AOC used her cum laude double major college degree to get jobs waitressing and bartending. Presumably that’s the best she could do or wanted to do. With her attitudes about work, I’m not surprised.

allezfred

Baby Jolly Man Face
Staff member
What’s not factual? AOC used her cum laude double major college degree to get jobs waitressing and bartending. Presumably that’s the best she could do or wanted to do. With her attitudes about work, I’m not surprised.
My father was a bartender. If you knew how hard a job it is you wouldn’t spout such nonsense.

By the way, I believe AOC worked at a non-profit and when her father passed away took on bartending etc to help her family make ends meet.

Louis

I’m well aware of what bartending is like. My great-grandfather owned a bar and bartended from the time he emigrated from Italy until he was 95. (Yes, he was tending bar at 95.)
Most of my family worked there at some point. Usually until they got college degrees (not after). All great people but no more qualified to be in US Congress than AOC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information