2020 Non-Presidential U.S. Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Staying at home
On a completely different and serious note, the City Council race here in San Jose has been crazy!

Backstory: The Chamber of Commerce (who at some point rebranded as the Silicon Valley Organization for reasons unknown) has a PAC and it always puts some $$ behind candidates it sees as pro-business.

Well, they've lost their mind in this election, not just throwing support towards their candidates but throwing a ton of money into hit pieces on their opponents. They've turned this into one of the most expensive City Council races in SJ and maybe even the entire Bay Area. And their last salve before the election was to post a piece on their website showing Black people rioting in Soweto and saying that Jake Tonkell (the Green Party candidate they are against) would bring that to SJ (because he's for "defunding the police" except apparently he isn't actually).

There was much outrage and the SVO has been bleeding members like crazy including all the big companies in the area like Google. They also had board members resign.

In order to stop the bleeding, they dissolved their PAC. But it had already sent out a final hit piece the day before they said they'd stop campaigning.

Here's the article but it's behind a paywall. (Hence my summary)

canbelto

Lindsey Graham has resurrected the "Southern way of life" euphemism in the final days of the campaign:

"Southern way of life" used to be a euphemism for segregation.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy

caseyedwards

Why would he mean segregation when the other SC senator is a black republican who won in landslide? South Carolina Republicans are voting for not only black people but Indian women. Green new deal would end way of life in America in many ways. No more gas cars and no more extraction jobs.

caseyedwards

For the same reason that someone with a Jewish son-in-law can be antisemtic or someone with a friend who is a POC can be racist.
So rather than mean they are not racist South Carolina republicans electing a black man and Indian woman to high offices proves their racism

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Corrupt Larry Householder has been reelected with a measly 30,500 votes from three OH counties. That's all it takes to win with the state's extreme gerrymandering. Even with the current charges and jailtime he's facing, and with his cohorts taking plea deals and singing like canaries, he still has the audacity to run for reelection. Also he misappropriated almost a million dollars of his campaign funds to pay for his criminal defense and is now going to face formal charges for that.

The next step would be for the OH house to remove him from the legislature but it's questionable if this will happen. But they have been so busy working on important things for OH voters like anti-Amy Acton initiatives, discrimination against drag queens, CYA for their negligent failure to prevent charter and online school corruption, failure to repeat HB-6 that will require residents to pay utility surcharges for corrupt providers, and assorted unneeded gun laws, and trying to override local LGBTQ discrimination laws that they do not have time to address mere criminals like Householder.

MsZem

My favorite WTH? moment was the guy who just won a seat in North Dakota - who died a month ago from C V. Voters were right on top of that one. :rolleyes:
Oh, that's hardly unprecedented. In 2000 Mel Carnahan won a Senate seat out of Missouri despite dying in plane crash about three weeks before the election. His widow Jean was appointed instead and served for two years until losing narrowly in a special election.

He beat John Ashcroft, BTW, whom George W. Bush then named Attorney General.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Congrats to Cori Bush for becoming the first Black woman to represent Missouri in Congress.

I remember seeing her in the documentary Knock Down the House where she failed to primary Lacy Clay (whose family had like a 25-year hold on that seat). I love that she persevered, successfully primaried Clay in 2020 and has now won.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member

:cheer2:

caseyedwards

People were voting for divided Washington. They do that. The reelection of Reagan with democrats in house, reelection of Obama with rep house. Bush didn’t have split in his reelection so that’s exception but now Biden with very small dem house and rep senate probably

easilydistracte

Geezette
I'm thankful that the voters were at least mindful enough to re-elect Roy Cooper for governor here in NC. The lieutenant-governorship went to a Republican again, however, so the top two offices in the state are still split by party. Dan Forest, the present [Republican] lieutenant governor, ran against Gov Cooper this election, so Forest is out of a job once January gets here.

ilovepaydays

It’s typically a bit early to discuss 2021 (unless you are at FSU’s PI 😆), but Terry McAuliffe has filed paperwork in Virginia today to be able to “explore” for another gubernatorial run.

Good gawd. I’m looking at the already declared candidates for the Democrats, and I wonder: How does this primary not get ugly?

UPDATE: Terry McAuliffe has announced today that he is running for a second term as Governor of Virginia.

Yep, this Democratic primary is going to get ugly.......do they not remember what happened in 2009 with Creigh Deeds?

Is it too early to start a thread for “2021 U.S. Elections”?

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Could you please wait until Biden has been sworn in? :saint:

Now that I’ve thought about it for a bit, I would prefer to wait until at least after the GA special U.S. Senate races. I don’t want to have another thread that is too tangled with the 2020 races.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information