2020 Non-Presidential U.S. Elections

Zemgirl

I'm going to cautiously post this here, since I can't see a freshman representative surviving this sort of scandal:

I feel badly for Hill, who seems to be suffering from the fallout of an ugly divorce. But as she herself acknowledges, having a relationship with a staffer was completely inappropriate. It's such an unfortunate story all around.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Freshman Congresswoman Katie Hill is resigning due to allegations of an affair with her staffer during her campaign.

IMO it is stupid to have these affairs that can impact their careers. I never could understand the affairs. John Edwards was probably the worst case.

Do they really have to resign?- that's my second question. Trump has had numerous affairs, but it never impacted his political career.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I'm going to cautiously post this here, since I can't see a freshman representative surviving this sort of scandal:

I feel badly for Hill, who seems to be suffering from the fallout of an ugly divorce. But as she herself acknowledges, having a relationship with a staffer was completely inappropriate. It's such an unfortunate story all around.
OOPS! I missed your post before I posted the link to this affair.

Zemgirl

Freshman Congresswoman Katie Hill is resigning due to allegations of an affair with her staffer during her campaign.
Do they really have to resign?- that's my second question. Trump has had numerous affairs, but it never impacted his political career.
The problem isn't that Hill had an affair; it's that she had a relationship with a subordinate (a campaign aide). That was a serious error in judgment on her part, and if the reports that she also had a relationship with a congressional staffer were true, that would be in violation of House rules. It's also poor optics for a congresswoman whose party is running an impeachment inquiry that may well include abuse of power issues, and I suspect Hill either recognized this or the point was made clear to her (possibly with the message that she may have to step down from her role as vice chair of oversight?)

It's unfortunate. Hill did not deserve to have intimate pictures posted by right wing media or anyone else, and she does not deserve the abuse she's been getting. I hope she'll be able to return to public life at some point down the line, even if in a different role. And I hope she sues every media outlet that published the pictures without her consent - and wins. It was not necessary for the reporting, and I suspect it was included only to humiliate her and make the story seem more salacious.

Zemgirl

More from Hill:

Zemgirl

I have mixed feelings about this. Victim she may be, but what she did was wrong, and no one forced her to to it.
Likewise. She should not have been sleeping with a subordinate, but she doesn't deserve to have intimate details and photos made public like this (I've read that Republican operatives have hundreds of pictures).

Given the facts, I think that resigning from congress and focusing on advocacy is probably the best move Hill can make.

Zemgirl

Hill's final floor speech is powerful stuff.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
RUN CHRIS RUN !!!!
Mr. Gibbs’ campaign may receive backing from a political action committee founded by Ms. Garrett and Zachary Stepp, Ms. Garrett’s former campaign manager. The group, calling itself The Jordan Watch PAC, says it will back the best candidates to defeat Mr. Jordan, regardless of party affiliation.

As a retired U.S. Department of Agriculture employee who farms 560 acres, Mr. Gibbs is hoping to change the minds of farmers who still support Mr. Trump — and he acknowledges there are many. “I’m in the minority and that’s perplexing to me,” he said.

He believes the farming community, which represents less than 2 percent of Americans, wields enormous power in the presidential race. Mr. Trump has argued his agricultural tariffs are aimed at helping farmers who have been hurt by China’s trade practices.

“What they don’t realize is that farmers are the prism through which rural communities thrive,” Mr. Gibbs said.

“We hold kryptonite to this President in our shirt pockets. And what is it? It’s our vote. Because he knows if he loses that agriculture support, he loses rural communities. And if he loses the rural communities, he loses Wisconsin, he loses Michigan, and he loses western Pennsylvania, and he gets nibbled at in Ohio.”
Even if he loses, 2022 will be coming your way Jim Jordan. His 200 mile snake of a district along the reddest west end of OH will be redrawn with the new redistricting. Also wrestlers were at OSU board meeting today and will be every chance they get in the future because Coach Jordan and company remained silent about harassed and molested wrestlers. It will continue to be in the news constantly in 2020. Amazing isn't it? SILENCE from Jim Jordan.

caseyedwards

RUN CHRIS RUN !!!!

Even if he loses, 2022 will be coming your way Jim Jordan. His 200 mile snake of a district along the reddest west end of OH will be redrawn with the new redistricting. Also wrestlers were at OSU board meeting today and will be every chance they get in the future because Coach Jordan and company remained silent about harassed and molested wrestlers. It will continue to be in the news constantly in 2020. Amazing isn't it? SILENCE from Jim Jordan.
Who says jordan will still be in the house? The expulsion vote should be scheduled soon unless democrats want him to hold the seat so they can win it

clairecloutier

An overview of Dems' chances to win the Senate in 2020. Looks at all the seats that are considered close. Last section begins with: "For progressives in 2020, Mitch McConell's seat in Kentucky is the Holy Grail." :D

The Battle for the Senate

caseyedwards

Lol Georgia Republican governor going to appoint someone to senate and to run in 2020 and maybe 2022 who never spoke publicly about politics or run for anything! Seriously on a political level picking Loeffler means abrams would easily waltz into the senate if she ran against her. Plus Loeffler will have no appeal to any trump voter as she sat out entirely from the 2016 election after giving Romney oodles of money. It’s very possible she would be a vote to remove trump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information