2020 Non-Presidential U.S. Elections

Vagabond

Adding to ballettmaus's post, this means that there will be two senatorial races in Georgia next year, since David Perdue will be up for reelection.

Given the various retirements and announcements of people running for office, maybe it's time for a separate, non-presidential 2020 thread?
Indeed. Have at it.

Daena

Ok, I am confused. What a point of having non-voting member of congress? :confused:

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Staff member
They can lobby for things more effectively and also speak on the floor about issues (they have floor privileges). DC and Puerto Rico have them as do the other US territories.

Personally I'd prefer if they could also vote but it's better than no representation.

Vagabond

Delegates do vote in committees, and they can introduce legislation.

I am somewhat surprised that the position would be appointive. (The District of Columbia, for example, elects its Delegate.) But then again, enrolled members of the Cherokee Nation can also vote for their local Representative.

MacMadame

Staff member
Delegates do vote in committees, and they can introduce legislation.
I don't think they can vote in committees.

Here's more info:

It says: "However, they are not able to vote while conducting business as the Committee as the Whole or on final passage of legislation."

(That sentence construction makes my head hurt.)

But then again, enrolled members of the Cherokee Nation can also vote for their local Representative.
Which is why I think this won't fly. Well, one of several reasons.

Vagabond

@MacMadame "The Committee of the Whole" is the entire House of Representatives. Delegates can and do vote in regular committees to which they belong such as Appropriations and Ways and Means.

MacMadame

Staff member
Okay, that makes sense given that sentence. Which I am itching to re-write. :lol:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ok, I am confused. What a point of having non-voting member of congress? :confused:
hahahaha (speaking as a voter in the District of Columbia)

@MacMadame "The Committee of the Whole" is the entire House of Representatives. Delegates can and do vote in regular committees to which they belong such as Appropriations and Ways and Means.
I know that in the past when the Dems have held the House they have granted the delegate from the District of Columbia the right to vote in the Committee of the Whole. Don't know where this stands at the moment as I lost interest a long time ago...

That is to say, the delegates may be treated differently. I read that the Cherokee Nation was granted a non-voting delegate in treaties. I think it makes sense they would be allowed to seat one. This would not be the same as the D.C. non-voting delegate. In any case D.C. is the only jurisdiction that pays US income taxes and does not have a voting representative in the House (let alone the Senate) but it is of value to have this person there to speak for our concerns, and vote in committee, etc.

Robert Kennedy’s grandson wants to replace Edward Markey in the US senate. Good luck to him.
For some unknown reason I received an email from Joe Kennedy where he was floating the idea of running for Senate. Although I'm sure it went into the email equivalent of a circular file, I responded: Do not run against Ed Markey. To me, Markey is a hero for putting himself on the line supporting the Green New Deal.

Zemgirl

Yesterday there was a report that Joe Manchin would be announcing whether he would be running for governor of West Virginia or staying in the Senate. For those who think that he's not much of a Democrat anyway, (1) consider the alternatives (2) for purposes of Senate control, he's a Democrat.

Anyway. Manchin is staying in the Senate.

caseyedwards

Yesterday there was a report that Joe Manchin would be announcing whether he would be running for governor of West Virginia or staying in the Senate. For those who think that he's not much of a Democrat anyway, (1) consider the alternatives (2) for purposes of Senate control, he's a Democrat.

Anyway. Manchin is staying in the Senate.
What’s so funny is that he votes with sanders and Warren most of the time! Like 90% of the time. West Virginia is voting for a Bernie Sanders who voted for kavanaugh and gorshch

And because all Texas republicans believe the democrats including the democrats presidential nominee are sweeping the state in 2020 another one is retiring!

Vagabond

As our late Prime Minister Begin once said in a very different context, let's wish both sides good luck as they face off.
Or, as Mario Vargas Llosa said in a very similar context to the one in California, it's like a choice between cancer and AIDS. :yikes:

BittyBug

Wishing it weren't so
Robert Kennedy’s grandson wants to replace Edward Markey in the US senate. Good luck to him.
I hope you mean that in a snarky way and not sincerely.

Dems should be 100% focused on re-taking the Senate, which means putting all of their resources into seats that could tip the balance of power. Kennedy is a self-entitled brat who aside from a storied last name offers nothing that Markey isn't already delivering, so all this is going to do is divert resources that would be better spend elsewhere.

For some unknown reason I received an email from Joe Kennedy where he was floating the idea of running for Senate. Although I'm sure it went into the email equivalent of a circular file, I responded: Do not run against Ed Markey. To me, Markey is a hero for putting himself on the line supporting the Green New Deal.
Exactly. Kennedy is a centrist who is significantly invested in fossil fuels. He has yet to lead on anything.

WanderlustTO

There's been a lot of talk that Mike Pompeo would leave his role as Secretary of State and run for the senate seat in Kansas. I think this Ukraine fiasco has severely diminished that possibility. This might be a benefit to the Democrats. Kris Kobach, who is completely corrupt, lost the governor race in Kansas to a Democrat...and appallingly (but unsurprisingly) seems in line to win the GOP nomination for the open senate seat. This would make it easier for the Ds to be competitive in a senate race they'd otherwise be blown out of.

caseyedwards

TwizzlerS

This is part of an email I received last month from the senator in my state, John Cornyn, who is running for re-election about joining phone conversation. Obviously, he is using the same playbook as Trump -- corner your base and play to them and don't reach out to expand this base. I thought about getting the call-in info so I could "infiltrate" his "small group" but I'm not a very good spy.

I want to make sure I have as many trusted voices on this call as possible.

I need to hear from voters like you to help develop a strategy that will be effective in keeping Texas red and stopping a liberal takeover of our values.

Shortly after joining the team, you will receive the call-in number, as well as a secure password.

Keep this information safe and confidential, as I do not want left-wing operatives infiltrating our small group conversation.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
This is part of an email I received last month from the senator in my state, John Cornyn, who is running for re-election about joining phone conversation. Obviously, he is using the same playbook as Trump -- corner your base and play to them and don't reach out to expand this base. I thought about getting the call-in info so I could "infiltrate" his "small group" but I'm not a very good spy.

I want to make sure I have as many trusted voices on this call as possible.

I need to hear from voters like you to help develop a strategy that will be effective in keeping Texas red and stopping a liberal takeover of our values.

Shortly after joining the team, you will receive the call-in number, as well as a secure password.

Keep this information safe and confidential, as I do not want left-wing operatives infiltrating our small group conversation.
It will be great to infiltrate since they invited you to join. :) It maybe painful to hear their conversations though.

Susan1

Just my local election, but I just needed to vent. Since I don't get the paper anymore with the voters guide, I looked up what will be on our ballot online.

For Miamisburg, I knew the Mayor was retiring and there is only one person "running" to replace him.

For City Council 4 people for 3 slots and School Board 3 people for 2 slots. Whatever.

That's not the "vent". The "vent" is - there are 12 pages online of two counties worth of races. (The issues are in a separate document.) The Miamisburg Mayor and Council choices are the only ones who have anything under the "Party" column. The ONLY city, township or village whose candidates specified anything. And they are put Republican. I don't want to vote for any of them. But I need to vote this year to make sure I am still in the system. Ohio's been having lots of problems with people getting dumped.

MacMadame

Staff member
Just vote for the races you want to vote for and leave the rest blank.

Susan1

Just vote for the races you want to vote for and leave the rest blank.
Yeah, but it's kind of silly. Vote for the only person running? What if everybody leaves that blank. ha ha Mayor Church has been the Mayor for 28 years.

And of the four people running for City Council, three of them are going to win anyway. One lives at the bottom of my street. Sadly (ha ha), his FATHER was a year ahead of me in school. Another is related to my 9th grade science teacher. Kind of makes me feel old. My 9th grade algebra teacher was on the council for a long time and also was the Superintendent of the schools. They always say growing up in Miamisburg was like Mayberry. And that people go away to college and come back to raise their family here. Everybody else is moving here too. They've built two new grade schools and a junior high (middle school in today-speak) and doubled the high school in the past few years. (just rambling...............)

I didn't even look at the "issues" page yet. I guess I can vote for something that affects the whole county or Dayton or something.

ballettmaus

Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;)
Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen (R) urged a conservative activist to target members of his own party ahead of the 2020 primaries and used explicit language to discuss Democratic lawmakers in the state, according to secretly recorded audio released Tuesday.

“I just think we’ve got to get through 2020, guarantee if we try and hold this majority — which, with all due respect to Trump, who I love by the way — he’s killing us in the urban-suburban districts,” Bonnen says in the recording, according to the transcript. “If we can make this work, I’ll put your guys on the floor next session.”

Susan1

They always say growing up in Miamisburg was like Mayberry. And that people go away to college and come back to raise their family here. Everybody else is moving here too. They've built two new grade schools and a junior high (middle school in today-speak) and doubled the high school in the past few years. (just rambling...............)
p.s.
Another is related to my 9th grade science teacher.
Whose aunt lived next to us when I was in grade school.
My 9th grade algebra teacher was on the council
He and his wife bought the house from the people who bought our house when we moved after 8th grade, and his mother worked in the same office with my mom for decades.

Vagabond

In the event that Tulsi Gabbard runs for re-election, she will have a strong primary challenge from State Sen. Kai Kehele, who has criticized her for missing many recent votes, including the one on the recent House vote on the measure condemning the President's handling of Syria.

How nice! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information