2019 SkAm Ladies FS - Waking Up In Vegas

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Agreed, she is a cute kid. I don’t understand some people’s hate about her. Bradie beat her in PCS and the other girls in this comp are not really strong PCS skaters. She deserved to win and she still would have won with less PCS.

Her jumps may not last but I don’t see why we shouldn’t enjoy her for the time being :cheer2:
The hate on her is she commits the ultimate sin of out competing many peoples preferred skater.

mpal2

It's also too early in the season for people are criticizing my skater because they are just jealous.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to skip all the ladies events because they are all going to suck if this is how every pbp goes.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
According to Wiki, she is 5' 6". That's TALL in my books. Well ... because I am 5' 1" and consider myself "AVERAGE" height! Anyone want to pick a fight with that .. bring it on! :lynch: :argue:
No fight with you at all! I'm taller than Bradie, and I'm almost an inch taller than Carolina Kostner. I'm actually 5, 7 3/4 inches. I might as well say that I'm 5'8".

My mom was 5'2 1/2 inches and my dad was 5'11". All of my dad's brothers and sisters were pretty tall, and I took after my dad with the height. I'm small framed and so was my mom. My dad had skinny legs and no butt, and I'm afraid I'm also that way.

I was the majority of my life skinny. I weighed around 128 lb. and that's small for a lady that's 5'8". When stirrup pants were the fashion, I wore a pair of black ones with a really pretty long blouse to work. We were allowed to, but when my co-workers saw me with those black stirrup pants on, they started laughing so hard that there were tears in their eyes. Even my boss couldn't stop laughing. They said that the black color made me look like I had toothpicks for legs. Even my dad and stepmom died laughing when they saw me wearing them. They begged me not to go into public with them on, and I never wore them again. That was around 1995.

The reason I'm mentioning what happened is that Anna is skinny like that also. I saw where some posted regarding her weight. Well, I'm afraid I looked like that but way taller. I had a very high metabolism and could eat anything I wanted and never gained weight. My family knew this and that I also had a very good appetite. I loved food, especially steak and sea food.

I know how it feels to be picked at about my weight. I had a friend tell me once to stand sideways and then stick out my tongue. She then said "zipper".

So IMO, there's nothing wrong with Anna and people need to give her a break.

Congrats to Anna! She was spectacular! Also, Congratulations to Bradie!! My prediction was correct that she would place 2nd and win silver. I knew that she had matured with her skating abilities, and I just had a feeling that she was going to be spot on with everything.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
Anna’s mom is tiny. That is the jackpot of jackpot skating genes.

Shcherbacova’s LP was the most charming ladies skate America skate in a dozen years.
ITA. I find it hilarious when some FSUers write “Throw her a donut!” Ha ha...jealousy?! Gonna try to “throw a donut” at Trusova next week? Some girls are naturally reed-slim & grow into reed-slim adults. Like Bradie.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
ITA. I find it hilarious when some FSUers write “Throw her a donut!” Ha ha...jealousy?! Gonna try to “throw a donut” at Trusova next week? Some girls are naturally Reed-slim & grow into slim adults. Like Bradie.
And like me! Thanks for you post, @Frau Muller :love:

avivadawn

I dislike talking about weight, but having seen Anna in person standing and walking within a foot of me: she looks healthy and in proportion for her height and build.

Some people get those great genes.

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
....Some people get those great genes.
And some countries have them in abundance AND have systems in place to analyze potential (how a child will grow). Just see how the great ballet academies in Russia find Uber-slender beauties...the unparalleled Corps de ballet of swans at the Mariinsky, for example. That said...Anna could use more turn out in spirals!

Debbie S

For anyone interested, NBC is currently broadcasting the final ladies FS group. Until 1 pm ET.

annie_mg

And some countries have them in abundance AND have systems in place to analyze potential (how a child will grow). Just see how the great ballet academies in Russia find Uber-slender beauties...the unparalleled Corps de ballet of swans at the Mariinsky, for example. That said...Anna could use more turn out in spirals!
Not wanting to fuel more discussion on the topic of whether or not Scherbakova eats enough, but I was just as thin when I was her age and believe me, I ate, A LOT. I was just doing a lot of dancing and I was and still am naturally thin. If she still looks like this when she's 18, then we can start talking.

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
I hope with all my heart that Anna and the others are healthy and eating enough.

But stuff like this does not inspire confidence.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I hope with all my heart that Anna and the others are healthy and eating enough.

But stuff like this does not inspire confidence.

This is...disturbing. And we see stuff like this time and again out of this camp, but no one is going to do anything about it as long as they are still winning everything.

puglover

We, the fans, should do what fans do best - cheer on these wonderful young women and their spectacular athletic talent. We are thrilled and entertained. However, let us all hope that those close in personal and professional capacities are being ever vigilant about the huge threat of eating disorders and their possible horrific consequences. As these are essentially illnesses of the mind first and the body second, hopefully people are asking the right questions. I so admire the voices of the skaters who have come forward about their own struggles - I am sure not an easy thing to do - but probably done to prevent others from suffering as they have. Ignorance is no excuse anymore - this affects young women from different cultures and countries. Because it is often a very secret issue, the signs may be subtle. Certainly a fear or sense of foreboding regarding puberty and an adult woman's body should be a sign for real concern. These young skaters are thinking about the here and now and getting that next jump - not about the wonderful lives they have ahead of them. I doubt the public is the best judge of who may be suffering. Maybe it is not the thinner girl at all but the one beside her thinking "my forearm is as big as her thigh - I've got to do something about this". Kiira Korpi is such a beautiful girl she takes my breath away - but she has acknowledged her own battle. She is one of the last ones I would have guessed. I hope their courage in speaking out about such a painful, personal issue is heard and resonates.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Is Bradie Tennell really tall or is everyone else just short lol

According to Wiki, she is 5' 6".
I claim to be 5'6", but I am just a hair shorter than that. I stood next to Bradie and she is just a hair taller than I am, so I would say that's right. I was pretty startled that she was taller, because there are few skaters, male or female, who are taller than I am, no matter what their bios say.

I dislike talking about weight, but having seen Anna in person standing and walking within a foot of me: she looks healthy and in proportion for her height and build.
I thought she looked much healthier off ice than on, but who knows? She was certainly glowing last night and she's cute as a button.

Karen-W

Some people get those great genes.
She definitely looked healthier in her Instagram picture with her mother and sisters. Some of it, I think, are her costumes. They seem to kind of just hang on her, plus the bare shoulders seem to emphasize her leanness.

Aerobicidal

Inspired by Selections
This is...disturbing. And we see stuff like this time and again out of this camp, but no one is going to do anything about it as long as they are still winning everything.
Correct. And I would like to see the staunch defenders of everything Tutberidze does and everyone she coaches acknowledge the repeated evidence that her skaters are getting:
-praised for not eating solid foods (Lipnitskaia)
-warned not to drink water (Zagitova, etc.)
-praised for subsisting on almost no food (Shcherbakova)
-unnaturally skinny because they don't eat enough (Medvedeva said this about her and Zagitova)

And there is much more evidence; this is just what I can recall and/or have read today. I've heard more stuff e.g. concerning Panenkova but it's essentially hearsay.

I've also seen many of these skaters in person. They may be naturally thin. They may eat a lot (but I doubt it). They may have good genes.

There are comments about Shcherbakova (and most of the top ladies) that could probably be classified as hate. Most of them aren't hate. Most of them are not, IMO, motivated by jealousy. My favorite ladies skaters are usually Japanese and Italian but I also love Kostornaia. I know that even Kihira would need luck and other things to have a prayer of beating Trusova and that's fine. Most of my favorite skaters in all disciplines were lucky if they even got a world or GPF bronze.

And this is not just a Russian issue. Skaters from the U.S., Canada, Finland, Sweden, etc. etc. etc. are coming out with their stories of struggle and survival. And we are watching a team that proudly admits encouraging if not requiring disordered eating and still dismissing concerns and criticism as "hate." I would have the same opinion if training conditions like this were publicly acknowledged in any sport in any country--even if all the athletes training in a given situation looked healthy in person or might be naturally thin or might actually eat a lot.

On an unrelated note, I hope Sakamoto can have a clear FP later this season because her Matrix program is really good and suits her a lot.

Last edited:

Polaris

@Aerobicidal - completely agree with everything you said. There is way too much smoke coming out of the Eteri camp for there not to be fire. At this point, everyone who is denying are ostriches sticking their heads in the sand because they're so proud of the results that camp is churning out.

Medvedeva filled out immediately after leaving Eteri's camp.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Most of them aren't hate. Most of them are not, IMO, motivated by jealousy.
If we were all so jealous or filled with hate (whatever that means) of thin, fit people that we felt the need to unfairly criticize their bodies, we wouldn't have much fun watching skating.

People really need to stop thinking themselves capable of understanding the secret motivations behind words in a post.

dds262

And your point is....
When Kaori skated her spiral in front of the judges with her leg raised, all I could see was a dog lifting a leg on a tree marking it’s territory. Not a good mental image....:unsure:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
This sport knows how to count rotations...now if only ice coverage, distance & height of jumps, speed into and out of jumps could be just as easily measured.

All of these qualities contribute to the degree of difficulty and the impressiveness of a performance.

Perky Shae Lynn

Scherbakova has the same body type as Katia Gordeeva. And we all know what Katia looks like at 48 yo. I highly doubt that Gordeeva is on a restrictive diet. She's just genetically blessed.

muffinplus

Zagitova, Kostornaia and Trusova all look like they eat to me. If Tutberidze really encourages disordered eating, as I have seen in so many claims, I don't see specific evidence of it based on how these look. People are also posting rumors and taking some quotes out of proportion. It is just suspect when we see more of these conversations in regards to Tutberidze's skaters and not others like Daleman for example..So yes, that's why the motivation behind these posts is just a little suspect to me...

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And, Trusova and Kostornaia, neither look remotely unhealthy. Trusova is extremely fit and muscled. Look at the muscle definition in her arms. So, stating that all skaters from a certain coaching environment are unhealthy is making many, many false assumptions. Zagitova has matured into a beautiful young woman and she doesn't look the least unhealthy either. Do any of these skaters have eating disorders? No idea. The only ones who know are them and maybe their parents. Fans certainly don't. I sincerely hope they do not, but since I don't follow them around every day, I have no idea what their diet is. I have no idea what their mental health situation may be. Therefore, I have no ability to make diagnosis or assertions regarding either. But fan remarks about feeding them, about coaches thoughts and actions, about coaches looks disguised as jokes, just contribute to rumors and innuendos not based on facts. Moreover, interviews are taken out of context and reporters ask leading questions. Daleman was an Orser skater. Does that means all skaters from the Cricket club have/had eating disorders? Of course not.

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Reduced water intake and limiting solid foods are clear red flags. Lipnitskaya had a very serious eating disorder. Medvedeva and Zagitova looked unhealthy at times. Some of Daniil's comments are gross. But we have to be fair: all current Eteri girls looks healthy and beautiful. Zagitova is gorgeous and perfectly proportioned, Trusova is super-fit, Kostornaya is soft & feminine, and Scherbakova is tiny and delicate. But all look healthy. Perhaps Eteri has matured into a more responsible coach.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And, family dynamics play a huge part. Lipnitskaia's mother was a major influence on her and the diet was actually her mother's influence. Parents who want Olympic gold more than the skater does can create real problems. The three current seniors all seem to have a very different family dynamic. And, family, personality and the amount of stress an athlete puts on themselves all contribute. Certainly in Russia, the financial benefits from winning an OGM can be a big motivator, especially if the family needs that financial benefit. This was a major motivating factor for Sotnikova and one of the reasons she simply couldn't give up show skating to continue training for competition post Olympics. She was a major contributor to the care needs for her younger sister.

Last edited:

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
So yes, that's why the motivation behind these posts is just a little suspect to me...
Why does it matter what motivates a poster? Either that poster has a point or the poster does not, and their motivation is irrelevant. One can be a hater and still be right; why not focus on what is said, which is right there, and leave mind reading to the fortune tellers?

But if you must pretend that you can read minds and hearts via posts on the web, why not assume the best and think people are genuinely concerned? We are all fans, after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information