2019 SkAm FD - Not Far From The Shallow (Edges) Now

Debbie S

What levels did H & D miss? I saw a loss of balance on the twizzles from Maddie.
H/D and S/B got the same levels/BV. S/B earned 0.42 more in GOE and H/D got 0.34 more in PCS...S/B beat H/D by 0.08.

ETA: RUS judge gave nearly identical PCS to both teams...difference was higher transitions score to S/B and I think that's correct. It felt like H/D did a lot of skating on 2 feet, esp the last half of the program.

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
The result was a travesty. H&D skated with much better speed and power.

Both programs are bad, but S&B were so slow and sloppy. Their elements are small. Even the Danadians gave a better impression. Much smoother, covered more ice, their elements were bigger.

A travesty.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
This just makes me wonder: who is a big enough ice dance diva with sufficient skills to pull of a Lady Gaga program?
She can make the male partner wear the meat suit.
Green and Parsons should do it. It sounds very Wheaton-esque.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Overall Result

Free Dance
1​
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKINRUS
124.66​
68.97​
55.69​
9.18​
9.14​
9.36​
9.29​
9.43​
0.00​
#10​
2​
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUEUSA
124.58​
68.55​
56.03​
9.21​
9.18​
9.43​
9.43​
9.43​
0.00​
#8​
3​
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSENCAN
118.36​
65.08​
53.28​
8.79​
8.61​
9.00​
8.93​
9.07​
0.00​
#9​
4​
Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZESP
114.39​
63.36​
51.03​
8.32​
8.32​
8.54​
8.64​
8.71​
0.00​
#6​
5​
Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRORUS
110.64​
61.49​
49.15​
8.25​
7.93​
8.21​
8.21​
8.36​
0.00​
#7​
6​
Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKOUSA
110.14​
61.30​
48.84​
8.04​
7.93​
8.18​
8.18​
8.36​
0.00​
#5​
7​
Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONSUSA
105.06​
59.69​
45.37​
7.61​
7.46​
7.64​
7.46​
7.64​
0.00​
#3​
8​
Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKORUS
99.72​
55.80​
43.92​
7.36​
7.14​
7.46​
7.25​
7.39​
0.00​
#1​
9​
Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GACFRA
98.91​
54.80​
46.11​
7.71​
7.61​
7.50​
7.86​
7.75​
2.00​
#4​
10​
Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUNCHN
98.20​
56.58​
41.62​
6.93​
6.79​
6.96​
7.04​
6.96​
0.00​
#2​

Protocols

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
This was a very well skated event. Hard to believe this is the first major competition for many of these ice dance teams. Loved H&D's 'A Star is born' and S&B's elegant FD, very different from their past FDs. They won the FD, but H&D had a 3 point lead in the RD. Very impressive job by S&B. I like this new look for them. They were shocked when they saw that they won the FD over H&D.

FB&S is going to be a team challenging for medals in the upcoming years. Can he get Canadian citizenship in time for the 2022 Olympics? Doesn't seem likely.

C&P skated really well. I am always reminded of Marina Klimova whenever I see Anthony, because of the resemblance.

Tiffany Zagorski is one tough cookie, skating with injury. What a great performance by Z&G! It was nice to see them look so happy after they finished. Loved their choice of music 'Survivor'. So appropriate!

Smart & Diaz always come up with interesting programs. I really enjoyed their FD but Tanith seemed to think they didn't show their connection very well.

I didn't get to watch the baby Russians. Will watch their video.

topaz

Per protocol, Maddie and Zach have the same skating skills as Stepanova and Bukin which everyone who has eyes knows this is complete horse crap.

Judges 5, 6 are on crack.

Nell411

Between the click of the light
FB&S is going to be a team challenging for medals in the upcoming years. Can he get Canadian citizenship in time for the 2022 Olympics? Doesn't seem likely.
From what I understand he already has Permanent Residency because he's been living in Canada for so long. That cuts out the biggest chunk of waiting time so I think he should be able to get his Citizenship in time for 2022.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
The result was a travesty. H&D skated with much better speed and power.

Both programs are bad, but S&B were so slow and sloppy. Their elements are small. Even the Danadians gave a better impression. Much smoother, covered more ice, their elements were bigger.

A travesty.
Jesus, it's going to be a very f*cking long season if this is what you are calling a travesty. :rofl:

Gris

Per protocol, Maddie and Zach have the same skating skills as Stepanova and Bukin which everyone who has eyes knows this is complete horse crap.

Stepanova got 9.18 for her SS while Michael Parsons got 7.61. :lol:

Colonel Green

His citizenship will come through by the fall of 2020. He's been living in Canada since 2010, so it was easy to do the application -- that's the whole reason they switched countries.

Dobre

Well, #6, the Australian dance judge, often is (figuratively speaking).

And #5 is probably doing that thing Canadian judges do when they have a team in bronze position and the team in the lead is headed to go up against the Canadian #1 team next week.

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Personally congratulating Beefy Bruno
Zach has been throwing up backstage so for him to do what he did out there took a lot of training, skill, and pure adrenaline.

I hear he's on meds for his bronchitis, so hopefully they won't make him do the gala so that he gets as much sleep as possible in order to be his best next week at Skate Canada.

shuilee

Looks like H&D lost GoEs of the lifts, in particular the lifts during Gaga's belting of "Shallow". A bunch of +2s and 3s, while Russians got +4s for lifts. That alone was 1 point loss in TES mark. I think this was weakest part of the program. There's high expectations during the cresendo of "Shallow" that they would have a "wow" moment, but it kinda fell flat. Hopefully they can somehow fix it. Maybe they should do the harder lifts at beginning of program to make it easier to get the +4s, and then do a choreographic lift during the "Shallow" cresendo that matches the music better?

Overall, seems like the same problem as last year. Strong beginning, but second half needs more work. Might need to change the music towards the end to get that standing ovation? Similar to R&J last year at Worlds when they finally figured it out. Not much they can fix before Skate Canada though.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I missed the last few couples to watch the World Series playoff game (yay Astros, fcuk you Yankees) but I'm not sure whether to :rofl: or :wuzrobbed: that that insane thing from Smart/Diaz was good enough to keep them in fourth.

millyskate

I normally love S&B but think this FD really doesn't work for them IMO. For the first minute of the program, I was like "Are they trying to be P&C, because they clearly aren't" and then Justin Timberlake came on and the costumes and choreography didn't fit that at all. And then, I mean even the last stationary lift is from P&C's book which is silly - because they're really good at lifts, just not that kind.
It all goes to show that pulling off a conceptual choreography in plain costumes isn't given to just anyone.

I just don't think I'll ever be able to get behind a program skated to "my heart belongs to daddy" but at least it plays to H&D's style.
ETA: I realise that in my sleepy state this morning I watched S&B's FD and H&B's RD. I thought something wasn't right :rofl: H&B's FD is well, fine. They do love their electric guitars which has to be my least favourite instrument, but sujective dislike aside the program suits them.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
So exciting to see Step/Bukin WIN THE FREE DANCE!!!! 🎉
No surprise that Hubbell/Don’s weaknesses is in lifts...the old heave-ho factor when the woman is the bigger equation in the team, no matter how great each is individually. Time for Chock/Bates to move back into the US #1 spot.

puglover

I have always loved H/D and just suffered through their free dance last year. I really enjoyed this free dance. At first I wondered about Madison's dress but totally got it - even with the little western belt - as they skated. Maybe I am a bit of a sap but I get so weary of angst and smoldering eyes. Plus - I have in recent years become a real fan of Lady Gaga so her vocals and their beautiful skating got a tear from me.

thvudragon

Usova's Apprentice
H&D need to change their combination lift. It makes them appear to slow down as the music is building.

A lot of the choreo in the last 3rd is just filler choreography between the highlights. It just doesn’t feel climactic, nor does it feel cohesive to me.

Nell411

Between the click of the light
One thing I will say for Hubbell and Donahue’s FD, this does work for them way better than their last couple of FDs did. I’m never going to be able to watch it again but it does suit them really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information