2019 Off Year Elections in the United States--Pray for Virginia ;)

clairecloutier

I voted this afternoon. Just local elections, but actually, the local politics in my city are quite heated right now, with big debates going on about schools and development.

It’s looking like a great night for Dems!! winning in VA, maybe winning in KY?? Wow!! 👏

rfisher

Let the skating begin
All counties in KY are now at 100%. The last counties that were not at 100% are very rural with very small vote counts. BESHERS WON BIG IN Frankfort, Louisville and Lexington. The ads from the GOP were nasty. But the realnirony is the stubborn asses in the rural counties that went red are the ones who had the most to lose as Bevins wants to slash Medicaid that most depend on. He also has tried to gut higher education appropriations which is why will the college towns went for Beshers.

ballettmaus

I guess the Orange One, in his own words, will be said now to have suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. He wouldn't lie, now, would he?

Republicans are already saying it's because the GOP candidate is so unpopular and had Trump not gone, the race wouldn't have been so close :rolleyes:

skatemomaz

Resist
I guess the Orange One, in his own words, will be said now to have suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. He wouldn't lie, now, would he?

He’ll be gaslighting us by early morning while he sits on his golden “throne” tweeting. 🙄

caseyedwards

The same things are clear that were clear in 2017 and 2018!! If republicans want a future in America they must take the golden opportunity they have to impeach and remove trump this year. Trump is like their biggest problem and they can end that problem by working with democrats to make pence president so he can make nikki Haley vp and then just run Haley with kasich in 2020

MsZem

WaPo is reporting that Democrats are projected to flip both chambers and picked up two Senate and four House seats. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poll...b57972-ff5b-11e9-8501-2a7123a38c58_story.html
Both came close to flipping last time, so no surprise. The House of Delegates only had a Republican majority because one race ended up tied and they picked a name out of a hat, or by coin toss or something like that.*

Bevin was not popular in Kentucky - Republicans won all the other offices up for a vote. He is currently refusing to concede... though the margin is fairly narrow (enough to trigger a recount?)

* ETA: it was a glass bowl. But no random draw this time!

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Both came close to flipping last time, so no surprise. The House of Delegates only had a Republican majority because one race ended up tied and they picked a name out of a hat, or by coin toss or something like that.

Bevin was not popular in Kentucky - Republicans won all the other offices up for a vote. He is currently refusing to concede... though the margin is fairly narrow (enough to trigger a recount?)
If I understood CNN correctly, there is no automatic recount in KY but a recount (counting each ballot again) or a recanvas (checking vote tallies and if they were transmitted correctly) can be requested.

canbelto

Trump doesnt seem aware that the governor of KY lost:

pollyanna

In the KY governors race, Bevin refuses to concede to Beshear, citing voting irregularities. :rolleyes:

A Bevin-Beshear recount? Here's what could happen in the Kentucky governor's race

As if matters couldn't get more complicated, Republican Senate President Robert Stivers then told reporters that a joint session of the Kentucky General Assembly may eventually decide the winner, citing a provision in the state constitution that hasn't been used in 120 years.

Bevin said he "wanted the process to be followed" under law before he made a concession, referring to unspecified "irregularities" that were "corroborated."

The first step in that process under Kentucky law, when it comes to election results that are contested, should be as familiar to Bevin as anyone else in the state, as he won a razor-thin victory in the Republican gubernatorial primary of 2015 by margin of just 83 votes over now Rep. James Comer.

Last edited:

pollyanna

Kentucky's Republican Senate president says the GOP-led legislature may pick the next governor

Republican Senate President Robert Stivers suggested a dicier option Tuesday night: Let the GOP state legislature decide the winner. Section 90 of the state Constitution says "contested elections for governor and lieutenant governor shall be determined by both houses of the General Assembly, according to such regulations as may be established by law." Stivers said his staff believes that might apply in this case. The last "contested" governors race was in 1899, the Courier Journal reports.

Sam Marcosson, a constitutional law professor at the University of Louisville, told the Courier Journal that Republicans can't just make up a legal procedure to review the election, and warned that it's a risky "proposition to suggest that the General Assembly would take vague allegations of unspecified irregularities and call into question a gubernatorial election." Joshua Douglas, a professor at the University of Kentucky Law School, explained that Bevin would have to call a special session of the General Assembly, then a panel of eight House members and three senators "would hear evidence and make a final determination. And that determination would be final."

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm glad the Democrats won Virginia. I just hope they have a strategy for building a durable majority because I need them to stay in control.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Trump doesnt seem aware that the governor of KY lost:
Also this tweet:

pollyanna

Bevin officially requests election recanvass in Kentucky governor race

“The people of Kentucky deserve a fair and honest election," stated Bevin campaign manager Davis Paine in the release. "With reports of irregularities, we are exercising the right to ensure that every lawful vote was counted.”

The news release did not provide any specific example of voting irregularities, and Bevin's campaign and office have not replied to multiple requests asking for any of those alleged examples.
Now that he has officially requested the recanvass, I fear irregularities in the recanvassing process. Will any of the votes be thrown out? I just don't trust this.

ballettmaus

Now that he has officially requested the recanvass, I fear irregularities in the recanvassing process. Will any of the votes be thrown out? I just don't trust this.
I share your fear but at least, the KY Sec of State is a Democrat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information