• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2018 Winter Os - Curling

pat c

Ratings
The rest has improved....but boy, the Homan rink struggled like something I've never seen before. It's really unfortunate, and I know they're blaming other rinks being stronger as part of the reason they had such a poor showing here.... but watching the games...the girls just did not play like they normally do. If they had been "on their game" this week, they certainly would have finished on the podium.
Homan has done this before. She blows hot and cold, one hot year, next year - can't buy a win. Homan couldn't get her feet under her, could not read the ice for love nor money. Oh well.

fsfann

Ratings
And not just Homan... Courtney had a terrible week and Miskew had her own struggles from time to time.

Just don't know why they didn't take Cheryl Bernard and sub her in for a game to try to get them back on track. Might have made a difference...

pat c

Ratings
While the rest of the field has improved, it was not like Homan was missing difficult shots. A lot of missed easy shots.
Rachel Homan runs hot and cold. She's either making astounding shots or you're going wth?

And not just Homan... Courtney had a terrible week and Miskew had her own struggles from time to time.

Just don't know why they didn't take Cheryl Bernard and sub her in for a game to try to get them back on track. Might have made a difference...
Miskew has always been a bit shaky, but Courtney has been rock solid most of the time, but now here. Yes, I wonder why they didn't ask Cheryl, could have been a breath of fresh air for them.

Lorac

Ratings
Well as GB are out of the gold medal match I will be cheering whole heartedly for the Garlic Girls to get gold - they have played so well all week!! And hopefully Eve and the girls can get the bronze again.

pat c

Ratings
I thought SWE - Nicholas Edin had it. It was a strange curling comp at the olys this time around. The US, well, they just kept plugging away, LOL. I think that's a case of no one taking them seriously, and now they are gold medalists. I can just imagine the curling zone must be imploding. ;)

BaileyCatts

Ratings
:shuffle: So the curling ice surface .... is it just a standard regulation size ice rink and then they lay boards down to create the individual lanes and markings? I was watching today and was like how they zamboni those little lanes? :lol:

No seriously .... I want to know. :p

manhn

Ratings
There is no zamboni. Curling does not actually want a clean sheet of ice, like figure skating, hockey speed skating, etc. They have these pebbles sprinkled throughout the ice, I cannot really explain it. :)

Thread starter #46

Aceon6

Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.
Ratings
:shuffle: So the curling ice surface .... is it just a standard regulation size ice rink and then they lay boards down to create the individual lanes and markings? I was watching today and was like how they zamboni those little lanes? :lol:

In a proper curling club, the lanes are mini ice sheets unto themselves. Some rinks have curling nights where they will segment a full sheet, but that’s really time consuming to get right unless the rink already has the house and lines painted before a full flood.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings

Most of the time curling is played in Curling Clubs which are curling only venues. Major events are played in hockey arenas and the ice is divided into four sheets with bumpers and carpets to separate the sheets. They don't use the zamboni during a curling bonspiel. After each game the ice makers will scrap the ice down and clean it up to get ready for the next match. They also use a backpack with a hose and sprinkle drops of water on the clean surface to create the pebbling. The sweepers wear down the pebble as they sweep which helps to drag the stone further and slow down the curl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFC8CnOD8w

Ratings
I thought I saw mini-zamboni-like machines to scrape the ice and flatten it to prep the pebbling at WC's in Victoria, BC. Then they pebble the ice with the backpack/sprayer things. Ice-making at that level is a highly-skilled and specific craft, like a combination of a golf course putting green groomer and a master skate sharpener.

pat c

Ratings
I thought I saw mini-zamboni-like machines to scrape the ice and flatten it to prep the pebbling at WC's in Victoria, BC. Then they pebble the ice with the backpack/sprayer things. Ice-making at that level is a highly-skilled and specific craft, like a combination of a golf course putting green groomer and a master skate sharpener.
Yes, that's exactly what they are, but it has to be a facility with a few ice sheets and that runs a fairly long season. The backpacks are called sprinklers which is what pebbles the ice surface. In Canada, sometimes you will find that the curling rink is combined with a golf course. Golfers quite often are curlers and vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)