• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2018 US Nationals Free Dance: "Imagine" there's no judges (it's better if you try)

twinsissv

Ratings
:BNS1: Oh my gosh! Hubbell and Donohue have one hot dance routine there. That sensuous music and those very sensual moves are just too much for siblings to pull off no matter how great they may be. I'm glad this dance is finally getting the attention and respect that it deserves. Congratulations to the dancers and also to the choreographers! This was a great music choice. It almost has the same effect as 'Bolero' building up slowly to that ultimate exciting conclusion. :cheer2:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Ratings
I'm always impressed that people think the judges can do this kind of math on the fly- to seperate teams by less than half a point, while making sure the one they want wins.
I know, really??
Shibs for the SD, Madison/Zach for the FD
I would love this. Wonder if USFS would consider Chock/Bates for the FD and leave Madison/Zach out of team event?
Shame it's just for the bronze medal. Maybe there can be a SKANDAL and have a three-way tie. :D

Oh and finally U.S. ice dance brings THE SEX to a national title. :smokin:
You have confused me with the words "SKANDAL" "three-way" and "SEX." Another theme that could be explored in the upcoming sensual film "Body of Work." :lol:

Rafter

Ratings
Have you seen every ice dancer's faces when they end up losing when they had a chance to win? Look at Zach and Madison's faces after the SD a few days ago, Madison Chock's face after 2016 Nationals, Scott Moir the entire 2013-2014 season. It's just high level athletes being naturally upset.

And also, what rumors? Please say it out loud rather than alluding to them.
Rumours of the parents getting Shpilband fired from Canton.

Well, she was smiling back at him, so I don't think it was that much of a glare. It looked like he was really upset and she was trying to settle him down. Standard sibling stuff.
To me she looked uncomfortable.

Spun Silver

Ratings
Wow... shakeup in dance. :eek: Congrats to H/D!!!
H/D are wonderful and deserve praise and ETA: their gold medal. But they won by 0.19 point because Maia made a mistake. Not sure that constitutes a shakeup in ice dance. But congrats to Maddie and Zach!

(Sorry, iPads have a new keyboard layout with a horribly placed undo key and I keep erasing things I don't mean to.)

Last edited:

skatfan

Ratings
I had a brief chat with Nick Verreros after the FD as I was leaving (he does the posts on his blog on costume choices). We talked about which costumes we liked and then he grabbed me by the shoulder and said, "Zack has to take that jacket off! Look at Papadakis!" We laughed, and then I mentioned that given the steamy skate H/D do, it would probably be too much. And we sighed about that.

Dobre

Ratings
:wuzrobbed

This is the one wish I had for this Nationals the most, of course. For the Shibs to "crush it" in this competition. And they were so great for so much of this event. A huge thank you to the audience members who stood up for them in every performance here, including their exhibition. Such a great deal of respect I felt toward my favorite dance team at this Nationals, and it makes a hard day much better. My heart goes out to all the fans who saw their own favorites miss out on an Olympic dream this week and earlier this season. Makes it seem so frivolous my hopes for Maia & Alex to head into the Olympic Games with the strongest possible support and momentum prior to the greatest competition of the quadrennium. They will be there and they are greatly loved by this audience and fans around the world. May they "crush it" at the Olympics:).

Congratulations to Madison & Zach on a lifelong dream today. I should try to share some personal insight from the arena, but--you know--too hard at the moment, and I'm sure someone else will share/have shared.

Will say :cheer2:for all the members of the Olympic team. These teams qualified for, IMO, the toughest dance team in the world today, and never in a million years did I dream that I would be able to say that about U.S. ice dance back in the mid-90's when I fell in love with the sport.

And congratulations to what I assume will be the team for Four Continents. :biggrinbo for Quinn & Lorraine. Kudos to Hawayek & Baker for putting together their most solid senior Nationals competition thus far at a time when they really needed it. And to the Parsons for one of their best SD performances of the year.

Plus a nice set of comeback performances for Aldridge & Eaton here. Their speed & confidence together showed, and Alexandra was so happy to be back on the ice. It was very nice to see. Also, great to see the Reynolds' program so well appreciated by this crowd. It makes such a difference when people watch the lower teams first & can see the progression in originality & skill as they watch the dancers come out.

Note: I do have to correct a falsehood that was stated on the jumbotron prior to the free dance competition today. No, Ryan Bradley & Rusty & Meryl, Chock & Bates do not have the top international free dance score of a U.S. dance team this season. The Shibs do.

There, you see, I managed to say more than I planned. Short is obviously not my forte.

Last edited:

PRlady

praying for a Youtube stream
Ratings
Question: the Shibs scored lower because of an obvious mistake. But didn't H/D get a spin marked down to Level 2? Meaning they also left points on the table?

Spun Silver

Ratings
Question: the Shibs scored lower because of an obvious mistake. But didn't H/D get a spin marked down to Level 2? Meaning they also left points on the table?
Yes. They scored about 1.6 pts less than at the GPF with a level 4 spin. At least if I am understanding the protocols which, if you know me, is always an if. I'm trying,

cocotaffy

Ready for Eurovision
Ratings
Yes they did but tbh the mistake on the spin was not visible, actually if someone could explain the level 2 it would be very much appreciated. However, Maia's mistake was very visible and the Shibs's PCS did take a hit. There's close to 1 point difference between theirs and H/D's. Plus, aside from the stumble, their performance was very tentative. I don't know why they can't get that energy from Skate America back.
Congrats to H/D, they skated the best and seized that opportunity like there's no tomorrow but they know they still need to improve the technical side of both their programs. They said as much in the post interview showing great champion's mindset.

5Ali3

Ratings
That event was an absolute privilege and joy to watch.

So over the "fake untied bow tie" thing...
Due to budget cuts, the position of bow tie tie-er had to be eliminated from Nationals this year. You’ve seen the unfortunate results. ;)

I'm always impressed that people think the judges can do this kind of math on the fly- to seperate teams by less than half a point, while making sure the one they want wins.
Y’all should have heard the off duty officials trying to math this weekend, adding SP+FS scores together. :confused: There’s just no way...

More seriously: the judges don’t see the level of the elements (for leveled elements, the judge terminals display the “base” code of an element [LSp, RoLi, 3Tw, etc., but no level] and the tech panel can’t see the GOEs and the PCS. There’s no way for the judges to “adjust” their PCS to respond to levels because they don’t know them, and vice versa for the tech panel. The accountants can see all the marks and all the levels, but they don’t see the math or segment score (you know how the online tracker adjusts in real time as the judges and tech panel enter their marks? That’s a TV feature, not something the accountants can see) until they tell the computer to calculate a final score. Plus, any accountant who spoke during an event would get shot on site (autocorrect error and it fits so I’m leaving it!), and despite the San Jose flu going through the accounting room, they’re all still alive at the end of the competition, so... also, you should have seen us trying to math in the stands. :scream:

Oh - and judges aren’t allowed to have the short program/short dance scores with them on the podium, so unless someone memorized each individual SP/SD score, they don’t have that information available. Judges are not supposed to keep track of the scores as they’re announced, so again, they’re missing big pieces of information. Plus, math. Five digit math! :lol:

(For completeness: the terminals of the video replay operator and the auditor display the levels of elements; they still don’t have access to the GOEs and PCS. Nationals is the only domestic competition that has an auditor, so the video replay terminal displays the levels so the video replay operator can help ensure that the element and level audibly identified by the TS matches the element and level entered by Data. In addition, there’s a layer of proofreading before elements are authorized for a skater and another layer of proofreading for every skater at the conclusion of the event (that’s the delay when IceNetwork says results are “Unofficial” and the protocol isn’t available yet; once it’s proofread a second time and the results are signed, the protocol is posted and the results say “Official.”)

That free dance event was one for the ages. Thank you to all the athletes for sharing their talent and the results of their hard work with us. :cheer2:

kittyjake5

Ratings
Congrats to H/D for their first National Title!

Top notch skating from the top three teams, they were all truly amazing. :cheer2:

I was so impressed with H/B, well done!

Thanks for all the reports from the lucky people that were in the arena.

vesperholly

Ratings
H/D are my favorite of the US teams this season (though I will always like the Shibs, their SD is great but the FD is blah). But when Zach was saying going into Nationals that they're going for the gold and they could do it, I admittedly thought, "Sure OK. Good luck. Bypassing C/B and getting silver would be a huge feat" since the Shibs are the golden children and the US judges looooove C/B for reasons I don't understand.

I have never been more happy to eat my hat. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Sylvia

Club competition season is underway...
Ratings

Cayuse

Ratings
Yes they did but tbh the mistake on the spin was not visible, actually if someone could explain the level 2 it would be very much appreciated. However, Maia's mistake was very visible and the Shibs's PCS did take a hit. There's close to 1 point difference between theirs and H/D's. Plus, aside from the stumble, their performance was very tentative. I don't know why they can't get that energy from Skate America back.
Congrats to H/D, they skated the best and seized that opportunity like there's no tomorrow but they know they still need to improve the technical side of both their programs. They said as much in the post interview showing great champion's mindset.
Not visible in real time, but if you slow down a video of the spin, you see that their skate boots touch each other more than once during the spin.

GarrAarghHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Ratings
How long have Ashley and Oleg been skating together? They skated really carefully and their unison was off.
Hey they are here and have only been a pair for like 12 weeks. Even last is a win, imo.
I love this team. He's 34! They're at Nationals! They've been together for, like, a minute and a half, and they qualified for Nationals, and here they are. I am thrilled for them.

twinsissv

Ratings
:lol: Tara Lipinski just gave us the most appropriate name for Hubbell and Donohue's spicy program after their World's Silver Medal performance...'Fifty Shades of Hubbell and Donohue'. Every time I see that program and hear that hot music, I feel as if I need a cigarette afterwards. And I don't even SMOKE! :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)