2018 U.S. Elections - Midterms & More

ballettmaus

If DeSantis wins in Florida even after the recount, I'm eagerly awaiting a change of law regarding recounts that then comes back to bite Republicans like it happened in Wisconsin :D

Vagabond

Republicans may not do as well in the future as they have in past statewide races in Florida. A very large number of black voters there will be reenfrancised come January.

ballettmaus

^Many high-level Republicans don't come across as very far-sighted... :shuffle: Someone just dug up a WaPo article from last year. It was about Rohrabacher who said that he wasn't worried even though Clinton had won Orange County for the first time in 80 years. As we say in German, pride goes before a fall.

Vagabond

As we say in German, pride goes before a fall.
We say it in English too, except in the archaic phrasing, "Pride goeth before a fall." It's probably a corruption of Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (King James Version)

:COP:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Looks like Dana Rohrbacher won't be returning to Congress next year, maybe he'll be returning to the Kremlin.

[B]Harley Rouda[/B]‏Verified account @[B]HarleyRouda[/B]
FollowFollow @HarleyRouda
More
US House candidate, CA-48
Less than an hour ago, the Associated Press called our election. We would love to thank all of our supporters, and most of all, our volunteers; who dedicated countless hours to flipping Congressional District 48. #CA48

ballettmaus

Broward County election officials called the police because the unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud led to an angry crowd. (Although, I guess, in this case the word mob would be more fitting). https://www.tampabay.com/florida-po...protection-to-tally-florida-election-results/

"We want her in handcuffs for her criminal history. We want her whole staff in handcuffs," Klomburg said. "This race was stolen from us."
"We cannot continue to allow this to be the Banana Republic of Broward," he said.

This is rich. Republicans talking about a stolen election and Banana Republic. They got the Supreme Court to stop the recount in Florida when Gore got too close to Bush and they told Hillary to shut up and called her a sore loser even though there is proof that Russia interferred in the election. Those guys are infuriating!

ETA:
"You don't get to go in and MONKEY with ballots," @mattgaetz says to a black @AndrewGillum supporter.
https://twitter.com/joanwalsh/status/1061335828444692480

I don't even know what to say. I just want someone to wipe that smirk of Gaetz's face. Can someone not dig up some campaign finance violation on him or something?

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
KYrsten Sinema's lead in Arizona is now 29,000, with 300,000 votes still to be counted. McSally campaign feels confident that in the end they will win. Not sure based on what. Many of the uncounted votes are from Maricopa County, which is generally blue. Sinema's lead may increase, but I am not counting my chickens yet. Anything can happen.

caseyedwards

Looks like Dana Rohrbacher won't be returning to Congress next year, maybe he'll be returning to the Kremlin.

[B]Harley Rouda[/B]‏Verified account @[B]HarleyRouda[/B]
FollowFollow @HarleyRouda
More
US House candidate, CA-48
Less than an hour ago, the Associated Press called our election. We would love to thank all of our supporters, and most of all, our volunteers; who dedicated countless hours to flipping Congressional District 48. #CA48
It is true that rohrbacher was the main reason the obama state department gave visas to veselnitskaya but why was Obama’s state department giving visas to putin surrogates anyway? Why haven’t all russians been banned from America yet? At least until putin is killed or overthrown

ballettmaus

Andrew Gillum has withdrawn his concession! He is calling for all votes to be counted but acknowledged that the result may not change.
I think that Democrats sometimes concede way too quickly. Given that Republicans have a history of voter suppression any Democrat who is in a close election should have the results checked before conceding.

Donnelly and McCaskill lost by a large margin. O'Rourke on the other hand... I heard that there was more than Arlington County running out of ballots going on in Texas and if the person I heard it from says that there were a lot of weird things going on in Texas then I believe them.

Buzz

So Ortiz Jones is closing in on Hurd so maybe an upset in the making? Hopefully!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
.Donnelly and McCaskill lost by a large margin. O'Rourke on the other hand... I heard that there was more than Arlington County running out of ballots going on in Texas and if the person I heard it from says that there were a lot of weird things going on in Texas then I believe them.
I can almost guarantee there were shenanigans in places. They were doing the most, even when it came to voter registrations. I checked mine early because so many people said to, and it turns out mine had been "suspended" because they "weren't sure where I lived." I haven't moved recently. I am Hispanic. Coincidence?

Susan1

We don't have any problems in Ohio, but before I signed the electronic thing, I asked if they had me with my middle initial or not, so they couldn't say I didn't match. I just got a new license in October and I took the old one with me too, just in case. Geez Louise, huh!? Too bad my vote didn't help after all that.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Rich Scott has filed three lawsuits against Nelson. He is accusing Nelson of committing fraud. I guess if all votes are counted, that us 'fraud' according to Scott.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
And the reason these “found” ballots all seem to be for Democrats might just possibly be because Republican officials didn’t want to count them.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I live in Ohio and we had nothing but issues. It was windy and trees were down. I took a back route to my polling place, only to find the power was out. People (those who didn't leave) were filling out paper ballots.

Poll workers had difficulty finding name, which I expected since I recently moved to this county.

Power came back on before I completed my ballot, which made me feel somewhat better. I do wonder about the paper ballots, though.

alexikeguchi

No one is reporting on results in my state, I guess because Oklahoma is such a backwater and not typically in play, but my Congressional District just flipped to Democratic for the first time in 44 years after not even being on the radar as a tossup. Personally, I am a registered Republican who in the past has voted about 50:50 in national elections, but I am so disgusted by Trump and his enablers in Congress that I marked my ballot for the straight Democratic party ticket this time around; I guess I'm not alone! I voted early with no hurdles despite heavy turnout and a recent move... Maybe TPTB didn't realize in time that they might need to suppress votes?

FiveRinger

I wish we had early voting in Missouri. I don’t know if that will ever happen. I even saw where in some states there is Sunday voting. 😮

Sparks

I voted early on a Sunday.
I understand states making their own rules, but there needs to be more uniformity among states.

ryanj07

I think the AZ senate race will be called for Sinema soon. McSally’s camp hypothesized that there was a “firewall” of votes coming for them in the Maricopa batch but it has yet to appear, Sinema’s lead grows with each reporting.

FiveRinger

I voted early on a Sunday.
I understand states making their own rules, but there needs to be more uniformity among states.
I agree. You would think that they would strive to make it easy for people to vote, including options to be able to register online. But, it looks like Americans are doing well to be able to vote at all with all of the suppression going on. So sad.

ballettmaus

I agree. You would think that they would strive to make it easy for people to vote, including options to be able to register online. But, it looks like Americans are doing well to be able to vote at all with all of the suppression going on. So sad.
The MSM barely talks about it. I bet you that the majority of voters believes that it's just a little here and there and/or that it happens in every democracy and is no big deal.
Granted, Trump fired Sessions the day after the elections but I watched CNN from around 9 p.m. Election Day, went to bed around 7 a.m. then watched again the following afternoon until I went to bed that day. Not a word about any of the irregularities. Until things got rough in Florida, I didn't see a word about it in the WaPo or NYT or LA Times either.

I think there only is a realistic chance to end voter suppression if the MSM starts to take it seriously and a factor in the outcome of elections and starts reporting on it as such.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
The mess in Florida - and republicans are trying to take advantage of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...florida’s-election/ar-BBPBnDa?ocid=spartandhp
That's nothing new, though. I also feel like the republicans will come up with the same claim of fraud if Gwen Collins-Greenup should win the runoff on December 8th.

I did vote for her, and I found out a lot about her by reading articles online for about the past four months before the elections. I feel like the republicans may claim fraud because she only spent $1500.00 in campaign funds. She ran a few ads, used the internet like her website and Facebook page, and had a few campaign signs.

Others I know in DeSoto Parish that voted for her only knew about her through the internet like I did. because of this, I thought at first that the republicans would claim fraud or claim the vote count was wrong.

They haven't as of yet. I feel they'll try to stir up mess if she wins the runoff and then claim something like voter fraud.

I found this article that gives a little more about her history and background.

OPINION - John Dupont: A little produces a lot for Gwen Collins-Greenup

Pollsters accurately projected interim officeholder Kyle Ardoin would emerge the statewide frontrunner in the race to fill the rest of the term after Tom Schedler’s resignation amid sexual harassment charges.

Ardoin and Greenup each drew 20 percent of the vote -- 298,567 for Ardoin, 289,097 for Greenup. She drew 2,628 votes for a sixth-place finish in Livingston Parish.

Most of the pre-election speculation focused on Republican state Reps. Rick Edmonds and Julie Stokes. Both brought a solid degree of name recognition to a ballot top-heavy with GOP candidates.

Very few Louisianians, if any, expected Greenup would emerge runner-up -- perhaps not even Greenup herself, who entered the battle with a $2,600 campaign war chest.

Greenup, an African-American Democrat, entered the race with minimal name recognition outside her hometown of Clinton. She did not run ad spots. Her campaign signs did were few and far between and were relegated predominately to urban areas.
She did not gain the backing of the state Democratic Party, which threw its support behind Free, who previously worked in the office on the ballot and now works for state Attorney General Jeff Landry.

Greenup certainly used the digital route effectively, both in terms of her website and social media. The amount of money she spent on those components probably was not much more than pocket change.

Some state political pundits also brought to light the strong turnout at the polls, particularly by women.

The reasons behind the record-high turnout for mid-term elections perplexed Livingston Parish Registrar of Voters Jared Andrews and likely the majority of his counterparts statewide.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information