2018 U.S. Elections - Midterms & More

avivadawn

Ratings
Yep. Dennis Hof is extremely well known (and infamous) in this state, and pretty popular nonwithstanding his shenanigans over the decades. The Conservative Libertarians (Registered as Republicans) in that district weren't NOT going to vote for him even though he died. The law states that since he died after a specific date in July, he couldn't be removed from the ballot, but I suspect even if he had passed away before then, people would have written him in if they could.

Zemgirl

Ratings
Lucy is an inspiration. She turned her personal tragedy into activism.
I didn't realize until I read her Wikipedia page, but Jordan Davis was actually her second son, born two years after her eldest died. That's just unbearably sad. What an impressive woman.

Yep. Dennis Hof is extremely well known (and infamous) in this state, and pretty popular nonwithstanding his shenanigans over the decades. The Conservative Libertarians (Registered as Republicans) in that district weren't NOT going to vote for him even though he died. The law states that since he died after a specific date in July, he couldn't be removed from the ballot, but I suspect even if he had passed away before then, people would have written him in if they could.
One last honor, I guess?

I remember when Mel Carnahan defeated John Ashcroft in the 2000 Senate race, even though Carnahan had died in a plane crash. Of course it was known that his widow would be appointed in his place if he won.

George W. Bush respected the will of the people by appointing Ashcroft attorney general.

Susan1

Ratings
What gets me is most of the votes were like 51-49. They barely won. Some of the dem losses were more like 66-33.

I don't know. I'll ask. She only wrote the one line about it being returned. She didn't have any trouble voting for Hillary two years ago. And whatever FL dems. were up for election then.
Confusement - me. :) The ballot she requested just arrived in her "letter box" whatever day yesterday was in Australia (I think - I have a time zone clock mental block even in the US)! It said it was sent October 22. Maybe it's Australia's fault? I wonder if she could mail it back before the recount! ha ha

ballettmaus

Ratings
Confusement - me. :) The ballot she requested just arrived in her "letter box" whatever day yesterday was in Australia (I think - I have a time zone clock mental block even in the US)! It said it was sent October 22. Maybe it's Australia's fault? I wonder if she could mail it back before the recount! ha ha
Considering that judiz said her mother didn't get her absentee ballot and there was an article in the Miami Herald about people who didn't get their absentee ballot I doubt that it was Australia.

topaz

Ratings
So apparently via Morning Joe I heard that the GOP House losses are the worst since Water gate. I'm confirming if this is true but it looks like the Dems will pickup 38 HOUSE seats.

Confirming what @Vagabond mentioned.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
So apparently via Morning Joe I heard that the GOP House losses are the worst since Water gate. I'm confirming if this is true but it looks like the Dems will pickup 38 HOUSE seats.

Ari Melber said that democrats have the biggest winning margin since Nixon (I don't know if he meant before/after Watergate).

Vash01

Ratings
Chris Hayes was told on his show that there are 340,000 early voting votes to be counted from Maricopa County alone, and he looked shocked :)

Maricopa County is the entire Phoenix metro area, including Mesa, Gilbert, etc. The population is around 1.5 million. Majority of people here use mail in votes, so it is not surprising that a huge number of votes are yet to be counted in AZ(about 500,000).

Pima County (Tucson area- South of Maricopa County) also has many uncounted votes. They believe KYrsten is likely to build a lead but later Martha McSally is likely to make a comeback. I am hoping that Sinema will hold on to the lead and win the election.

This vote counting is likely to go into next week.

Last edited:

ryanj07

Ratings
Sinema has nearly a 9,000 vote lead over McSally with 83% of the total vote in for the AZ Senate race. I really hope she can hold on and pull this out!!

Vash01

Ratings
As of now Kyrsten Sinema has taken a 9000 votes lead over McSally, but things can change quickly. I am not counting my chickens yet.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ratings

So all republicans have the duty to support impeachment and removal of trump. Trump is equal to Nixon in voters eyes! They hate trump. They want trump impeached and removed like they did Nixon. They punished republicans in 1974 as long as they did before he resigned. The issue is that if republicans don’t impeach and remove trump they are destroyed forever.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Being such a strident liberal he could be the democratic nominee in 2020
I'm not sure if you're sarcastic or not but given that he won in a deep red state without supporting Trump in any of the key votes, it's quite a feat. McCaskill lost in Missouri and Missouri is considered a swing state.

In his very Republican concern about fair elections, Rick Scott files a lawsuit against Broward County and Palm Beach County. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...s-broward-palm-beach-counties-accuses-n934286

caseyedwards

Ratings
I'm not sure if you're sarcastic or not but given that he won in a deep red state without supporting Trump in any of the key votes, it's quite a feat. McCaskill lost in Missouri and Missouri is considered a swing state.

In his very Republican concern about fair elections, Rick Scott files a lawsuit against Broward County and Palm Beach County. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...s-broward-palm-beach-counties-accuses-n934286
No it’s a serious comment!! Why shouldn’t Tester be the democrats nominee if he can be elected in Montana having a record like Bernie Sanders? You would never say sanders can be elected in Montana?

Vash01

Ratings

He is following the Trump playbook. Project.

Susan1

Ratings
I know everybody is talking about what is still going on, but this was still bugging me.

I looked at the Ohio map breakdown. Sherrod Brown won 53.2-46.8%. Areas around Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton are all blue. The rest of this podunk state is red.

For Governor, Mike Dewine beat Theresa Gasper 50.7-46.4%. All of the same areas are blue except for the Dayton area. Montgomery County went 48.8-48.3% for Dewine.

Why would they vote for a Democratic Senator and a republic Governor? Because Gasper is a woman? Dayton has a female mayor, so they probably went for Gasper. Maybe all of the affluent people in Oakwood who went for trump made the difference.

I’m glad for the blue wave elsewhere, but what is Dewine going to do to people in Ohio? Can he undo everything Kasich did?

And blue wave-wise, that's really cool. But all we needed was a majority. More democratic house members aren't going to make a difference are they? They can't stop 45 any better with one or two more. Remember - I'm politically dumb.

allezfred

Sekret Kanadian
Staff member
Ratings
Sorry America but your electoral system is fcucked up. Why would any candidate/political party not want all the votes to be counted? Why do people have to confirm their votes are counted after they voted?

Sparks

Ratings
Sorry America but your electoral system is fcucked up. Why would any candidate/political party not want all the votes to be counted? Why do people have to confirm their votes are counted after they voted?
Because of voter suppression. For example, Florida is run by Republicans and more often than not, it is Democratic ballots which go missing or not counted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 1)