2018 U.S. Elections - Midterms & More

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I feel as depressed as I dud on November 9, 2018.May be even more. There is no more hope for us. This is a major crisis, but only some of us realize it. Those in power are not only pleased but they will continue to abuse their power.

Trump must go. I hope come January the House will start impeachment proceedings. I don't believe the democrats should try to work With him.

Last edited:

Vash01

Ratings
Surprising news from AZ: there are apparently still 492,000 uncounted ballots from Maricopa and Pima counties. These are a mix of ballots submitted via early voting and early / absentee ballots actually handed in on election day. See this post for an analysis but the bottom line is that this race could still go either way.

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/1060251726467469312
They never announced a winner. Since last night they have maintained that hundreds of thousands of ballots are yet to be counted. I hope there is no deadline. Let it take as long as it needs to, regardless of who the final victor is.

skatemomaz

Goodbye my sweet little boy
Ratings
They never announced a winner. Since last night they have maintained that hundreds of thousands of ballots are yet to be counted. I hope there is no deadline. Let it take as long as it needs to, regardless of who the final victor is.
I really wish Angela Green had withdrawn and thrown her support to Sinema sooner than last week. That's 38,978 votes, while the difference between Sinema and McSally is only 17,073

attyfan

Ratings
There is a house race in Southern California still too close to call .... considering the length of time the Republican incumbent has been in, the fact that it is this close is already promising . Not my district, but I was writing GOTV postcards to people in that district for months leading up to this, and I want to see what happens.
Just found out ... the candidate we were trying to help actually WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vash01

Ratings
I really wish Angela Green had withdrawn and thrown her support to Sinema sooner than last week. That's 38,978 votes, while the difference between Sinema and McSally is only 17,073
I thought so too. Sometimes I feel the third party candidate has hurt the democrats' chances. They have the right to run, but in the interest of the country it will be better for them to withdraw until the situation is normal again.

Vagabond

Ratings
Xochitl Torres Small just flipped New Mexico's 3rd Congressional District for the Democrats (the southern part of the state). I'm digging the large stretch of blue on the House map in that part of the country. :inavoid:

Last edited:

Sylvia

9 U.S. Regionals are DONE! Next up: 3 Sectionals
Ratings
Maine’s toss-up 2nd District heads to a ranked-choice count: https://bangordailynews.com/2018/11...rict-appears-headed-to-a-ranked-choice-count/
The toss-up race in Maine’s 2nd Congressional District is headed to a ranked-choice voting count, with U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin holding a slight lead over Assistant Maine House Majority Leader Jared Golden.
With roughly 91.5 percent of precincts reporting to the Bangor Daily News by 6 p.m. Wednesday, Poliquin, a two-term Republican from Oakland who won the seat in 2014 after two decades of Democratic control, led Golden, a Democrat, by about 700 votes.
Because neither Golden nor Poliquin gained a majority, the people who ranked the two independents in the race first will decide the race in ranked-choice counting, which would be run by Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap’s office.
Late Wednesday afternoon, Dunlap confirmed that the contest would go to a new round of ballot tabulation under Maine’s 2016 ranked-choice voting law. Ballots from all precincts in the district will be collected from municipal clerks and delivered Thursday to Augusta. A new tabulation of those ballots is scheduled to begin Friday.

Sylvia

9 U.S. Regionals are DONE! Next up: 3 Sectionals
Ratings

Vash01

Ratings
First Rachel, and now Lawrence made me feel much better by pointing out the positives in the midterm elections. I was feeling quite low earlier in the day.

ballettmaus

Ratings
First Rachel, and now Lawrence made me feel much better by pointing out the positives in the midterm elections. I was feeling quite low earlier in the day.
I was right there with you although it's Trump's or rather, his enabler's fault and not the election's. He fired Sessions and Republicans didn't speak out, he threatened that he will have any House member who investigates him be investigated by the Senate and no Republican immediately countered by reminding him that the Senate is an independent branch. Made me feel so frustrated, disheartened and helpless again because the people who are charged with it, refuse to do make sure the checks and balances work.

They sure made sure that the good feeling didn't last long.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Ted Lieu saying on CNN that as a caucus (didn't catch what exactly he's referring to, might be the Democrats on the judiciary committee) they're going to meet next week and discuss which investigations and issues to prioritize and that they can do both, work on issues for Americans and hold Trump accountable.

Debbie S

Ratings
Ben Jealous received little support monetary and GOTV from the state's Democratic party. With more resources he could have targeted more voters.

There was A lot attention and work force resources that were given to campaigns, like Stacey Abrams and Andrew Gollum.
It's true that Jealous had a lot less money to work with than Hogan (as the incumbent, Hogan has been raising money for 4 years). The state Dem party probably realized Jealous was a long shot and decided their money would be better spent elsewhere (this escaped my mind earlier, but I'm thinking you may have heard it was his support for Sanders, not Clinton, that was the party's objection, b/c if they denied support to any Clinton supporter, they wouldn't support anyone). And yes, the Dem Governors Association did not spend very much on MD, likely realizing the odds against Jealous (and also knowing that a Rep gov in MD won't affect presidential voting in 2020) and preferring to focus on more competitive (and higher profile) races in FL and GA.

I'm not sure if any Dem would have won (I voted for Baker in the primary but would have voted for Hogan regardless) and I'm not sure this election means a whole lot in terms of party voting - statewide, the Dems gained offices and I'm sure whichever Dem is the 2020 pres candidate will win the state in a landslide, not that we're big enough to matter.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
I spoke to a friend in MD earlier today who said news reports called the election for Hogan while there were still people standing in lines at the polls to vote; & I really dislike it when they do this. It's unprofessional & doesn't send the right message for voter turnout.

I guess it's hard for the poor reporters to not jump the gun on the breaking news ("Will Steny Hoyer win enough votes for another term in District 5?" :lol:) but they could at least make the effort for democracy.

ballettmaus

Ratings
The campaign did not end up requesting a recount — and they legally couldn't have anyway.

If a candidate in Wisconsin is losing by less than 1 percent, they can ask for a recount — but Walker lost by 1.2 percent.

Business Insider reports that the threshold is due to a law Walker signed after President Trump was elected. Mr. Trump won Wisconsin by 23,000 votes, and Green Party candidate Jill Stein, who received just 1 percent of the vote, demanded and received a recount, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. In response, the state legislature passed a measure mandating that in the future, candidates could only request a recount if they were losing by less than 1 percent.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-...400d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Oh, I'm loving this. Far too much. :D

Marta24

Ratings
The panel on Morning Joe was also very positive about the result. They especially pointed out how many women got elected and how diverse the Congress is going to look like in January :)

Susan1

Ratings
What gets me is most of the votes were like 51-49. They barely won. Some of the dem losses were more like 66-33.

They may have decided she wasn't eligible to vote because of her Australian citizenship. Or because the name on the ballot didn't match something. The later is the voter suppression tactic of the day.
I don't know. I'll ask. She only wrote the one line about it being returned. She didn't have any trouble voting for Hillary two years ago. And whatever FL dems. were up for election then.

topaz

Ratings
I don't know if anyone reported this.

Lucy McBath won an upset victory in GA 6th district. The district has a long standing GOP presence. McBath beat GOP incumbent Karen Handel. This was the district that had a special election that Joe Ossoff ran for and lost to Handel
Lucy , 58, was thrust into the national spotlight in 2012, when her 17-year-old son, Jordan Davis, was shot dead at a Florida gas station by a complaining about loud music. The killer claimed he was justified under Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, but a jury convicted him of first-degree murder. The kIller is white and McBath's son was African American.

Lucy is an inspiration. She turned her personal tragedy into activism.

https://www.newsweek.com/jordan-davis-death-expand-stand-your-ground-florida-580927

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 4)