2018 U.S. Elections - Midterms & More

topaz

Richard Ojeda lost in WV. I thought he was a strong moderate candidate.

Looks like Scott Walker is going down. He's down 20k votes with 99% reporting. Those absentee ballots.

topaz

Yes. Identity politics and flaming anti-Trump speeches will not get Democrats anywhere. Leave the indignation at home and act like you want to serve the people who elect you with hard work to give them a chance to make their everyday lives better. Painting anyone who does not agree with you as a racist idiot is a losing strategy. Pelosi seems to have understood that many Trump voters oxygen is the overreactions by the left to his tweets, that's a good sign.

There has always been "identity politics" in US elections. When straight white males voted for themselves and their issues for the majority of our country that was and is identity politics.

topaz

Update: 50K absentee ballots are being counted in Milwaukee County and Evers(D) is up by 31k with 99% reporting.

I am feeling optimistic. Tammy Baldwin held her senate seat but Randy Bryce lost.

D

Deleted member 53443

There has always been "identity politics" in US elections. When straight white males voted for themselves and their issues for the majority of our country that was and is identity politics.
You are correct. But to me that makes identity politics even worse.

caseyedwards

Sad to wake up and see so many people in the US are fine with bigotry. :(
Democrats weren’t aggressive enough after Charlottesville. They should have all unanimously supported impeachment but Intead said “we want to work with trump on infrastructure!!” Why? They are the opposition!

D

Deleted member 53443

Democrats weren’t aggressive enough after Charlottesville. They should have all unanimously supported impeachment but Intead said “we want to work with trump on infrastructure!!” Why? They are the opposition!
Because fixing the infrastructure is better spent time than wasting tax money on some impeachment that will 100% fail?

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Sad to wake up and see so many people in the US are fine with bigotry. :(
I thought exactly the same. The face the USA is showing to the world is a very bad one IMO. That of facists, bigots, stupid people.

snoopy

Democrats picked up 7 governorships. That is helpful. 1 for election administration and 2 for the bench. Meaning executive experience will help provide more candidates for president.

caseyedwards

Because fixing the infrastructure is better spent time than wasting tax money on some impeachment that will 100% fail?
Trump is still a criminal right? So I just don’t know why most republicans in the senate will reject making pence president instead of trump

Marta24

CNN just reminded us that the 2020 election cycle is about to begin :yikes:
:scream:

Elections in the US are often much more exhausting for me than the ones here in Germany.

I wonder what the fact that so many women were elected into Congress will mean for 2020. I guess the speculation will start soon enough.

Louis

Private citizen
My comments are not based on the Australian political system. My remarks are based on my knowledge about risk mitigation and systems which is something I deal with in my job. It seems as if the US electoral system, because of the diversity between states around the country provides an inconsistent process which is set up for failure. It is like a business that everyone does their own thing, don't follow procedures and subsequently you end up with massive unnecessary mistakes and errors.
For what it's worth, I had no problems with your comments. But I'm not sure I agree wth them, even from a lens of risk mitigation. There are long-established local processes that (mostly) work. Forcing localities to change to a new, centralized process runs its own risk -- especially if that centralized process requires additional standards, e.g., ID checks, that the established local process does not. The one-time impact of the change could have disastrous long-term effects, depending on the outcome. In the US, I think you'd also be hard-pressed to find a consistent voting process that garners bipartisan support (or frankly, even within the same party). I suspect most people would prefer to go with a process they know, v. one mandated from Washington, D.C. that is too strict or too loose. So what ends up happening are some minimum standards, around which the states have flexibility.

I work for a business similar to what you describe. The divisions have tremendous flexibility outside of some central "minimum standards." The system has pros and cons, the same way that centralization does. There are unnecessary mistakes, errors, and duplicate work, but there is also (generally) easier time taking advantage of opportunities, and more flexibility to win business. The directors have decided this is a better model, financially, even accounting for the disadvantages. There is no one right way to do things in a country this large (or in a business this large), in my view.

If you're talking about a smaller business (< 1000 employees) or voting system in a country with, say, less than 50 million people, I agree with you.

I’m so disappointed about Gillum and Abrams apparently losing their governor runs in FL/GA. [...]
Well we will have to see demographic details of turn out but probably dems are going to have to find one more issue to pull in some more voters. Immigration? Guns? They’ll have to give in on something. Sorry I don’t see going more left is winning elections.
So many DeM Senate moderates lost tonight ... TE]including Heitkamp, who I almost didn’t want to support this year because she has such a strong pro-gun voting record. And Donnelly lost ...after being the only major Democrat to come out and say he’d consider supporting Trump’s stupid-ass threat to try to revoke birthright citizenship. Yeah trying to compromise on guns and immigration really worked out for them, didn’t it.
I'm fascinated by this because it is an apparent contradiction. All of the Democrats' lefty, celebrity candidates lost (except for Ocasio-Cortez, in a district where a blow-up doll could win as a Democrat). But then a bunch of moderates, including (village idiot) McCaskill lost, too.

So going left is not winning. Going to the center isn't winning. What is winning?

It's so early in the 2020 election cycle that Amy Klobuchar probably wants to stay under the radar, but her smashing win in MN has to catapult her to the top of the list of potential presidential candidates in 2020. And, in my view, she's so much more appealing than any of the other options discussed. Stay under the radar a bit longer, Amy. Let Gillibrand (who has no chance, in my view -- liberal, elitist New Yorker with a foreign husband; even if it is a double standard, it will be used against her) be the woman out in front. Let Hillary Clinton and her kiss of death :lol: support her protege, Gillibrand.

MsZem

Oklahoma is sending a Democrat to congress, which I did not expect. Kansas will have a Native American lesbian congresswoman, which is so cool. Lauren Underwood (former nurse) and Abby Finkenauer (who's only 29) flipped seats held by older Republican men. Colorado has the first gay governor in the US. Kris Kobach lost - can't think of many people more deserving of being sent home.

This isn't perfect, but there are a lot of results to be happy about - also the three women flipping seats in VA, Antonio Delgado winning in New York, Joe Cunningham in SC, Max Rose flipping Staten Island of all places, Democrats elected in Texas, and fingers crossed for Lucy McBath in GA-6.

CNN just reminded us that the 2020 election cycle is about to begin :yikes:
Amy Klobuchar!

I don't know if she'll run, but she's fantastic.

The governor/state legislative results are super-important with redistricting coming up in 2021. Pennsylvania was forced to reverse gerrymandering ahead of these elections, and Democrats picked up several districts. Also, Florida voters, for all their sucky choices, have re-enfranchised former felons! This could be huge in future elections.

ballettmaus

So, two indicted Republicans won re-election but convicted felons who served their time weren't able to vote until now. We live in a crazy world!

Susan1

I was right. 10 pages of posts in about 12 hours. I can't read them all. Ohio is toast. Another GOP governor - who is NOT Kasich. I wonder who Kasich voted for. Would his previous supporters vote for someone nothing like him? We voted for President Obama twice. How did this state turn so red? I wasn't worried about Sherrod Brown though, so we still have him.

I hope the House will concentrate on the PEOPLE before they launch all these 45 investigations.

oleada

Can I be an East Coast big cities Liberal (TM) for a second?

Missouri voters are complete morons. You vote for progressive ballot measures like campaign finance reform and a higher minimum wage and medical marijuana and then you turn around and vote for the Republicans who want to undo these policies? WTF.

And sometimes I think we are better off letting Florida sink into the ocean rather than go through this every time :yikes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information