2018 U.S. Elections - Midterms & More

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Will Dems take back the House? The Senate? Will swing states switch parties for governors? Here's a thread to discuss 2018 elections.

Our state (OH) has incumbent Sherrod Brown vs. Josh Mandel (State Treasurer & Trump back slapper full of weasel words) or Mike Gibbons (wealthy Cleveland GOP donor) for Senate. Last time around Brown beat Mandel, but that was 2012 BT (Before Trump). Fingers crossed he gets reelected with no problem.

Every state executive office is up for grabs. We may be singing "So long, it's been good to know ya" to John Kasich, but we'll still get to see him everyday because nothing (make that NOTHING!) stands between Kasich & a national news camera.

Dems have real hope for a change this year due to several good candidates for governor, most notably Richard Cordray (former US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau director & five time Jeopardy champion). It will be a fight to the finish because DeWine/Husted is the likely GOP ticket & they are well known state executives.

People hoping for the entertainment factor in their 2018 elections will probably be disappointed to hear Jerry Springer decided not to run for governor. So here's another novelty candidate to follow instead who reminds me there are worse candidates than Jerry Springer out there. :lol:

*** Gun range owner who declared a "Muslim Free Zone" will run for Arkansas governor :
http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article192535829.html

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ratings
Jerry Springer was councilman and mayor! A real politician! Cincinatti too. Not a small place.

What’s true is that republicans lost a senate seat in Alabama. Republcian party Will get destroyed if they don’t impeach and remove trump and save themselves.

That’s the x-factor! Will republicans use their power to save themselves.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Jerry Springer was a popular politician until he had a real big scandal that involved paying prostitutes by personal check & other such problems. Although even after that, he was still popular as a local newscaster & he ran for governor in the early '80s with 20% of the primary vote.

Here is some good news for the upcoming election year --

*** US sees surge in women interested in running for office :
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ge-women-interested-running-office/998428001/
The increase in women candidates is largely being seen in U.S. House and governor’s races next year and driven primarily by Democrats, said Debbie Walsh, who leads the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. In addition to the 50 Democratic and 10 Republican congresswomen expected to run for re-election, there are 183 Democratic women and 14 Republican women running in primaries to challenge their current U.S. representative.

Last edited:

snoopy

Ratings
Yep, Josh Mandel is so weasel-ly, I think Sherrod has the edge. But Josh keeps coming back around and around despite losses, he sure has deep pockets. Governor probably tips Republican because lots of Ohioans like Kasich (sorry teachers).

topaz

Ratings
Jerry Springer was a popular politician until he had a real big scandal that involved paying prostitutes by personal check & other such problems. Although even after that, he was still popular as a local newscaster & he ran for governor in the early '80s with 20% of the primary vote.

Here is some good news for the upcoming election year --

*** US sees surge in women interested in running for office :
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ge-women-interested-running-office/998428001/
Paying for sex with a check - what do you say to that. Goodness. I forgot about that.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I think the Dems have a chance to take back the senate. I don't see that happening in the house though. They will need to win a lot of seats.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
If Dems turn out, Dems win. But Dems problem is they let purity be the enemy of good, so they stay home and sulk because they don’t get EVERYTHING they want in a candidate. Hopefully, we can overcome that tendency this time.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Sherrod Brown is a much better senator than Kasich could ever be. Brown also gets a lot of the union & blue collar vote (i.e. people who voted for Trump last year) because he's from outlying OH & makes an impression with the small town, country & working class voters.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I posted this another thread because I didn't know where this belonged. I think this the the right place for it.

The disgraced, racist, evil ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio who tortured many Mexicans, who was indicted but later pardoned by Trump is running for a senate seat in Arizona. We cannot let this happen.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ratings
I posted this another thread because I didn't know where this belonged. I think this the the right place for it.

The disgraced, racist, evil ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio who tortured many Mexicans, who was indicted but later pardoned by Trump is running for a senate seat in Arizona. We cannot let this happen.
I think nature might not let it happen. He is 85!

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings

Vagabond

Ratings
Issa knows he hasn't a prayer of winning re-election. But shed no tears, I'm sure there's a nice 7 figure income waiting for him from some lobbying firm.
Issa is said to be the richest person in Congress, with a net worth in excess of a quarter of billion dollars. He doesn't need some piddling seven-figure income. :blah:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Since J.D. Vance moved back to OH, they have been trying to talk him into running for a lot of different offices. Governor. Senator. Congressman (Tiberi's district or one in SE OH - he lives in neither & just recently moved to German Village in Columbus). He said he's not interested at this time to all their efforts so far. He isn't a Trump supporter so maybe he wants to wait until later.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
There is talk/speculation that Issa is considering running in Rep. Hunter's district should he resign. http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/368513-exclusive-issa-mulls-running-in-neighboring-district
Hunter’s campaign spent more than $1,300 in video game purchases, something he blamed on his son, as well as other funds for airfare for the family rabbit and his children’s private school tuition.
Shades of Jim Bakker's air conditioned doghouse.

No honor among thieves though.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Here is the latest on J.D. Vance & the possibility of an OH Senate campaign. It looks like the analysis is that he is still a DC resident & has not yet established permanent residency in OH to run even if he wanted to do it.

*** Residency issue, Trump criticisms may have sunk Vance’s candidacy :
http://www.dispatch.com/news/201801...ump-criticisms-may-have-sunk-vances-candidacy

It's hard to believe the Trump criticisms would be that damaging to his campaign considering what we've actually experienced from Trump this past year.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Cardin is leader of Russia sanctions and Manning is a major leaker of National Security that helps Russia so maybe she’s being Russia plant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 4)