2018 Skate Canada Ladies FS - God Is A Woman

vesperholly

Looking at Skate Canada scoring, the judges seem to like Mariah Bell a lot. She nearly tied Tuk in PCS and even gave her higher GOEs. She didn't medal here, but she should come away from this competition feeling successful with that and I hope it gives her a much needed boost of confidence.
I love her programs this year and I think they will serve her well. Did Rippon choreograph her FS as well?

Sylvia

Not yet ready for club comp. season to be underway
I love her programs this year and I think they will serve her well. Did Rippon choreograph her FS as well?
Mariah worked with Shae-Lynn Bourne for the first time for her FS. Here's what she said about the experience at Champs Camp (ETA source link): Mariah Bell Ready for New Quad
"Shae is incredible, and it was such an honor she said she would do my program," Bell said. "Watching her skate is amazing. She would say, 'You try it.' And I said, 'Wow, I don't know what you did, I was just watching how pretty it was.'"
The Canadian choreographer, who won the 2003 World ice dance title with partner Victor Kraatz, stretched Bell artistically and technically.
"I fell like this is the most contemporary program I've ever done, more contemporary than even East of Eden, which was kind of its own thing," Bell said. "Some of the movement is more abstract for me, and that's exciting because I feel like I'm opening up another side of my skating."
I think Mariah has shown overall improvements in her skating this year and I'm really looking forward to seeing how she progresses this season!

Last edited:

Enchanted

Mariah worked with Shae-Lynn Bourne for the first time for her FS. Here's what she said about the experience at Champs Camp:

I think Mariah has shown overall improvements in her skating this year and I'm really looking forward to seeing how she progresses this season!
She is like a different skater this year. Aside from the skating her dresses and hair styling are much better than before.

mtnskater

Just watched the ladies this morning on NBC Sports Gold. Was out at a Halloween party last night. 🤡 Good competition here!

Med’s LP was so much better than Tukt’s. Honestly was a bit surprised that one botched jump combo on the short cost Med so much. I realize there were some other factors like spin levels but Tukt’s spins are pretty meh. However it’s great to see Tukt back with a gold on the GP.

Have never seen or heard of Yamashita before either. I don’t follow juniors closely though. Consistency in the jumps really pays off. She skates rather flat footed and generic.

The overall package I enjoyed the most tonight was Mariah. Beautiful program. Lovely presentation and packaging. She has those jumps, don’t know why she is skittish in competition. Seems like a perfectionist because at the end of every skate you can see her mind going to the error and not enjoying the moment from the audience. She may be too hard on herself. Would love to see her believe and put it all out there.

Starr looked sluggish and deer in the headlights again. Short program showed her potential. Hope she will learn to compete and continue to improve.

Sad for Wakaba. I think it was her medal to grab. She doesn’t look down to her fighting weight and lacked confidence which amazes me because she has crazy good technique.

Last edited:

rfisher

Looking for the next avatar
I don't know which coach is having more of a panic attack right now -- Eteri (Eyeroll) Tutberidze or all those elite Japanese coaches who now realize their skaters have one more domestic rival to worry about.
I suspect Tutbeirdze isn't too worried. She's got Zagitova for seniors to say nothing of Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaia for next season. I'm all team Tuk this season, but she's going to have to be perfect to make it out of Russian nationals and onto the Euro/World team.

The Japanese ladies are also going to be fighting for spots on the Worlds team.

A good thing for fans of ladies skating. Let the best rise to the top of the heap.

Tinami Amori

Liza's jumps are so solid. Really impressed with her comeback.

However - the rest of her skating is kind of perfunctory to me. :shuffle: She could work on her spins, speed and ice coverage this season.
I am thrilled to see 2 Russian girls on the podium. At the same time, all i have to say: there is some weird judging taking place in SP and FS, in some instances in favor and in some against these two ladies, and the rest of the girls.
Liza's first 3A should not have received -1... But in FS she was over marked and imo should have been 2nd overall. Med's marks are clearly "partially political", and that's all i will say.

I am tired of "personal dramas", just want to see good skating.. :lol:

bardtoob

Clichy Competitive Audition Protocol Auditor
Liza's first 3A should not have received -1... But in FS she was over marked and imo should have been 2nd overall. Med's marks are clearly "partially political", and that's all i will say.
Med's programs are probably 2nd best in the world right now, but the choreography has noticeably more crossovers than past programs, which is why I assume the score was lower. Her PCS was about a half a point lower across categories with transitions being the lowest at 8.46.

However, Med still beat Tuk in TES, when including the GOEs, by about 1 point and PCS by 6 points in the LP.

Med's score may also be more influenced by the updates to the scoring system than others because she was a top end skater.

Last edited:

millyskate

Tuktamysheva has worked a lot on her spins I think but it was visible more in the SP than in the LP this time round. There have been some clips on her insta of her LP spins looking better than they did yesterday. The LP was a little underwhelming compared to her other performances this season I thought but the fact she managed to land so many jumps whilst having lacklustre skate is credit to her improvements.
It's fun to have her back, and she seems to be enjoying it.

peibeck

Simply looking
Even is she still is not fully developed, I feel like Yamashita wuzrobbed here. The most complete program as far as transitions and choreography and the cleanest jumps and spins.

Tuktamysheva getting +3s or higher on her spins... sorry that's a joke. Plus being in the Ashley Wagner school of hand and finger shaking should not count as transitions. :p Even her jumps were not as good as they sometimes are. Wuzgifted.

I give Medvedeva a bit of a pass, since she is obviously reworking her jump technique, and I'm glad she skated far, far, better in the free than her SP.

Mariah Bell gets my most improved lady this year. Both her programs suit her and I saw a "hunger" in her in this competition that I don't think I've seen before.

Even though there were too many mistakes, Highuchi's program is so energetic and difficult. If she skates it cleanly, watch out, it will be incredible.

Tursy obviously needed Eteri here to give her death stares. She seemed to revert back to the Orser version of Tursy from the last couple of seasons here. Sigh. :shuffle:

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
Zippiness and pep in the music can make the difference.
Whenever I hear a slow cello, I start to doze off...and Med’s LP begins with that. Ditto Nathan Chen. In both cases, the pace doesn’t pick up until the last minute or so.
On the other hand...I love energizing, clap-happy LPs like Tuk’s and Messing’s. It may even work subconsciously on judges...uplifting, joyous music. Maybe good for an extra PCS point here & there, over the skater with funereal music?
Of course, the skater has to land the jumps...

bardtoob

I'm assuming the best are Miyahara's.
Despite the icky yucky music selections, Zagitova's programs are better constructed.

Miyahara is probably co-2nd with Medvedeva.

ETA:

icky = Phantom of the Opera

yucky = Carmen

peibeck

Simply looking
. . . I don't know if Frau Muller is old, but the ISU's policies have made certain that the judges are antediluvian and some even talked personally with the snake from the Garden of Eden.
:rofl: Well, I do think the limit is actually 70, but honestly I don't think most of the judges are quite that old.

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
:rofl: Well, I do think the limit is actually 70, but honestly I don't think most of the judges are quite that old.
It’s not about age. It’s about uplifting music...and didn’t the ISU add rules at one time about uplifting themes & music? Maybe it related only to dance...but we have a cancer FD this year, so that can’t be right.

Medved & Chen’s lugubrious cello LPs just don’t do it. I’ll take Tuk and Messing’s any day. Sheer joy!!! 😃

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
So far I have watched only Zhenya and Liza (still need to watch Yamashita).

Liza- she performs and she has really good jumps. I don't expect to see improved SS, so she will always have to depend on mistakes by others. It is good to see her back, and enjoying her skating.

Zhenya- Going in the other direction. I had hoped for a better LP, but it has the same problem as the SP. The scratchy music doesn't help. I cant believe she has to listen to it everyday. The music and the choreo dont suit her. I am not sure Tango is right for her. She is neither Yu na nor Kaetlyn. She needs to be herself and the choreographer needs to understand that.

On the plus side she skated the LP much better than the SP- clean, sort of. The only significant improvement in her jumps is in the 2A. If she has started doing ur that is a step backward. She always had a slight edge problem on the Lutz, but this time there were too many tech issues. Hopefully they will be corrected before the nationals. I didn't like this LP for her, but it was not as awful as the SP. I didn't care for the dress, but that is a minor issue compared to the rest.

I do expect her to improve as the season progresses, but it may not be enough to make it to the GPF or to worlds, given the competition among Russian ladies. I am leaning toward her getting the third spot though. They may not dump the Olympic silver medallist, although Liza didn't get to defend her world title in 2016. But she had had a really bad season. As long as Zhenya keeps delivering respectable performances, and at least bronze medals, she should make the world team.

peibeck

Simply looking
The only significant improvement in her jumps is in the 2A. If she has started doing ur that is a step backward.
She is learning new techniques. For the most part, I find her jumps improved, even since the Autumn Classic. Her run-out on jumps is just one easily notable area where you can see improvement.

I don't think anyone should realistically think that totally upending her life by moving so far from home, learning from new coaches and choreographers, and taking more responsibility on herself (emotionally, physically and financially) while doing this, is going to be an easy transition. If she's not happy with her programs, coaching, etc. she is now a lot more independent and can have a say in what happens next. Did she have a perfect competition? No. But she didn't just give up and go away after a disappointing short program; she came back to win the free skate and pull herself up to medal.

I know you are a huge Med fan, but give her time. Forgive her programs if you don't care for them (honestly, I don't love them either, but I do think there are a lot worse ones out there this season), and let her journey keep progressing. :)

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Despite the icky yucky music selections, Zagitova's programs are better constructed.

Miyahara is probably co-2nd with Medvedeva.
Oh no you didn't. :scream: :scream: :scream: The part where she skates bent over like a speed skater or the part where she never ever stops moving so that she has no time to finish a movement, has to move on to whatever pointless clutter is next. :scream:

bardtoob

Oh no you didn't. :scream::scream::scream: The part where she skates bent over like a speed skater or the part where she never ever stops moving so that she has no time to finish a movement, has to move on to whatever pointless clutter is next. :scream:
"Construction", not "Execution" :p

bardtoob

The frantic succession of one move after another is not good construction IMO
It is according to the CoP . . . alas Eteri's camp has taken over the role Morozov used to play during the early CoP, "What's Level 4? Oh, whatever Morozov's skaters do."

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@IceAlisa what are your preferences so far this season?
Satoko Miyahara, Satoko Miyahara, and Satoko Miyahara. Also, Satoko Miyahara

It is according to the CoP . . . alas Eteri's camp has taken over the role Morozov used play during the early CoP, "What's Level 4? Oh, whatever Morozov's skaters do."
I understand. It's a numbers game but I don't like neither the programs, nor the execution.

Wyliefan

Yura MATSUDA (JPN)
The Seasons
in pinkish-purple dress with lace/stone flower bodice

3Lo<-2T
2A-1Lo-2S
CCoSp
3Lo
3S-2T
FCSp
3T
StSq
3S
2A
ChSq
FCCoSp

Well that was nice. But no flip or Lutz? At this level? Is she injured?
I've been catching up on my viewing via Olympic Channel, and they said she only has the triple jumps up through loop.

Sylvia

Not yet ready for club comp. season to be underway
I've been catching up on my viewing via Olympic Channel, and they said she only has the triple jumps up through loop.
They probably meant Yura Matsuda was only attempting triples through loop in Laval. I checked her December 2017 Nationals protocols and she landed 3F<+3T in her SP and 3Lz (edge warning) and 3F in her FS (11th overall).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)