2018 Olympics: Anyone going?

ross_hy

Anyone planning to make the trip to Pyeongchang?

I got confirmed for plenty of tickets in CoSport's lottery (including ladies free skate!!) but I just can't find any good information on hotels or transportation.

Unfortunately, CoSport only gave everyone 24 hours to decide whether to buy the tickets or not, so I'm probably going to say no. Anyone having any luck with travel plans?

Mods feel free to move to a different forum if you see fit. Thanks!

SCeline

Trying to see if I can go through my employer in Social media. Happy to see this post since I agree that early reads on logistics and accommodations seem especially scant, given tomorrow marks one year until the Opening ceremonies. I've been to other major events like World Cups (which are similarly every several years) and the planning would have been practically "done" by now.

Flights into the main airport in Seoul - Incheon ICN - leave you a good 3 hours by train or standard ground transportation from PyeongChang, which is on across the island of Korea. There is supposedly going to be a high-speed train which will make the trip 2 hours from downtown Seoul, and I am hearing that they are expecting some visitors will opt to stay in Seoul believe it or not "commuting" because of better, more fairly priced accommodation options. Sounds less than ideal though for sure.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool

DobrinFan

CoSport is the official reseller for many countries, not just the US. I believe if you've expressed interest during a certain period last month, you were offered tickets prior to the official sell date and they give you 24hrs to accept.

nikjil

I'd thought about going, but I'm only interested in attending the ice dance, and with a lottery that's not guaranteed. Also not sure if I'll have enough vacation time because I'm going a long vacation in June. I wish things didn't have to be planned so far in advance.

levineismine

CoSport is the official reseller for many countries, not just the US. I believe if you've expressed interest during a certain period last month, you were offered tickets prior to the official sell date and they give you 24hrs to accept.

Thanks, I missed this part, so the only thing left I guess is checking the live sales tomorrow.

It's probably my fault for being clueless, but I haven't seen ticket sales advertised anywhere in the usual figure skating media channels that I follow, and it's really hard to find information (nothing in my own country, for example, even from the Olympic committee).

jkl

Does anyone know of a tour company offering trips to the 2018 Olympics? I have not been able to find one?

DobrinFan

Thanks, I missed this part, so the only thing left I guess is checking the live sales tomorrow.

It's probably my fault for being clueless, but I haven't seen ticket sales advertised anywhere in the usual figure skating media channels that I follow, and it's really hard to find information (nothing in my own country, for example, even from the Olympic committee).

Well I only found out yesterday after the first post. Then I signed up for an account for CoSport and found I just missed the expression of interest dates :( From what I've read, people were having a hard enough time looking for accommodations for 4CC. Surely they don't expect people to commute from Seoul? :fragile:

clairecloutier

Surely they don't expect people to commute from Seoul? :fragile:

I think they really do expect that, actually! I was just reading an article about the Games in Skating magazine yesterday, and it basically said there's really not a lot of accommodation options in the immediate area of Pyeongchang/Gangneung (relative to possible demand). That's where the new 2-hour bullet train to Seoul comes in. I was a bit shocked.

Catherine M

If I remember things correctly, the same thing happened in 1998 where alot of people ending up staying hours away from Nagano and having to commute back and forth.

Good luck to everyone trying to make plans.

Duchess

I think they really do expect that, actually! I was just reading an article about the Games in Skating magazine yesterday, and it basically said there's really not a lot of accommodation options in the immediate area of Pyeongchang/Gangneung (relative to possible demand). That's where the new 2-hour bullet train to Seoul comes in. I was a bit shocked.
I have a friend in SK checking out housing options near Gangneung. Slim pickings!

ross_hy

Roadtrips and Bucketlist come to mind.

I called CoSport earlier today - they'll have some hotel/ticket packages tomorrow. If they're anything like the packages I've seen from them in the past, they'll be wildly expensive.

I love the idea of having the Olympics in these smaller mountain areas (much like Lillehammer) but the lack of accommodation and transport is definitely the downside.

DaveRocks

Eh?
Mr. DaveRocks and I are going.

We 'won' exactly ZERO tickets in the lottery from CoSport. Grrrrrr! Fingers crossed that we'll be able to get at least a couple of events in tomorrow's live sale.

For Sochi, it was absolutely crazy trying to get tickets from CoSport initially, but in the end, we ended up getting tickets to every single event we wanted.

levineismine

There's literally nothing available accommodation wise in Gangneung (even airbnb) besides 4-5 stars hotels part of incredibly expensive packages.
In the German official sales website, the men free skate tickets are already gone :eek:

Sounds like I'll invest my money into Worlds instead.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Good luck everyone! I would love to go to an Olympics.

Probably will be a summer one for me if LA gets 2024 :rofl:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm not surprised as he nearly spilled the beans during his Feherty interview last year. If anything remotely political happens, though, I would expect NBC to call him in.

DaveRocks

Eh?
Managed to get tickets for the first and second nights of the team event as well as for the Pairs short and Pairs free. Still need the third night of the team event as well as Men's short and Men's free. Also got some short track tickets. :cheer:

I inadvertently added two CAT C Ladies free tickets to my cart, but I can't use them since we'll be gone by then. Anyone interested in buying them?

Wheeeeeeeee! :)

ETA: Just grabbed men's short! :cheer2: And the ladies free tickets mentioned above are now gone. :)

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Anyone planning to make the trip to Pyeongchang?

I got confirmed for plenty of tickets in CoSport's lottery (including ladies free skate!!) but I just can't find any good information on hotels or transportation.

Unfortunately, CoSport only gave everyone 24 hours to decide whether to buy the tickets or not, so I'm probably going to say no. Anyone having any luck with travel plans?

Mods feel free to move to a different forum if you see fit. Thanks!
Did you try any searches on airbnb.com? You can find rooms worldwide and hosts that can help you find your way around.

npavel

CoSport didn't gave me the ladies FS, nor dance FD. So that's it. I could live without FD, but ladies SP in C-sector and ladies FS not at all... And I asked for A-sector all the tickets and got none, there were some in B sector (men SP and FS and Team event). So I didn't take them. We will see, they told you can buy tickets in September, there you can choose seats, but I'm not sure anymore. I was really already looking for a guesthouse ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information