2018 GPF Ladies FS - Flips Don’t Lie (Kihira! Kihira!)

Tinami Amori

How do you know all that?
:D reports, interviews, tweets, ig's....
Here is a concise official version....
https://russian.rt.com/sport/news/581144-zagitova-travma-final
Тренеры олимпийской чемпионки хотели снять фигуристку с программы, но Загитова настояла на участии.
Coaches wanted to take her out of the programme/competition, but Zagitova insisted to participate..

The "unofficial" ones give more details... What are you asking?

babayaga

:D reports, interviews, tweets, ig's....
Here is a concise official version....
https://russian.rt.com/sport/news/581144-zagitova-travma-final
Тренеры олимпийской чемпионки хотели снять фигуристку с программы, но Загитова настояла на участии.
Coaches wanted to take her out of the programme/competition, but Zagitova insisted to participate..

The "unofficial" ones give more details... What are you asking?
I was curious how did you know about the conversation that you mentioned, in particular that Alina mentioned Kihira :) I wrote it earlier as a speculation, just wanted to confirm that it is speculation on your part too.

Tinami Amori

I was curious how did you know about the conversation that you mentioned, in particular that Alina mentioned Kihira:) I wrote it earlier as a speculation, just wanted to confirm that it is speculation on your part too.
You mean Alina's reason for wanting to skate with injury and telling coaches/Eteri that people will talk and blame her for being afraid of loosing to Kihira? On my part it is not a speculation. It was part of a discussion between Russian-Canadians who were there, and in the past proved to be very valid sources. The only "conflicting" info i see as of today, is weather or not Alina received a pain shot, or just an ice-pack... :D. Some media said "shot" and some said "ice-pack".

babayaga

You mean Alina's reason for wanting to skate with injury and telling coaches/Eteri that people will talk and blame her for being afraid of loosing to Kihira? On my part it is not a speculation. It was part of a discussion between Russian-Canadians who were there, and in the past proved to be very valid sources.
Yes, that part. Thank you for explanation. When I was thinking why would she insist on skating injured I remembered the insane flow of comments on why she withdrew from Nepela (I think?), starting from the fact that she obviously lost all of her jumps for good, later replaced with theory that she was afraid to lose to Rika. It was strange to read that such conversation between Alina and coaches actually took place.

Tinami Amori

Yes, that part. Thank you for explanation. When I was thinking why would she insist on skating injured I remembered the insane flow of comments on why she withdrew from Nepela (I think?), starting from the fact that she obviously lost all of her jumps for good, later replaced with theory that she was afraid to lose to Rika. It was strange to read that such conversation between Alina and coaches actually took place.
Yes, the accusations against Alina for missing Nepela intentionally and making up a story about parental permit certainly would have increased if she withdrew from FS at GPF, especially standing in 2nd place after SP. I am glad she chose to skate.

I found the answer to "ice pack" or "pain shot".... it's both, per Alina's own words. And it was not a knee but an ankle sprain.
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/zagitova-o-travme-v-finale-gran-pri-neudachno-nastupila-podvernula-nogu-vse-gladko-ne-mozhet-byt-1488943/
– После этого потребовалась помощь доктора?
– Конечно. Слава богу, с нами поехал наш врач, которого предоставила школа, и он сделал свою работу. Заморозка, обезболивающие. Нога чуть опухла.

- Did you require a doctor after this (the twist)?
- Of course. Thanks god, our own doctor came with us, provided to us by the club, and he did his job. Freezing (ice-pack) and pain shot (pain-reducer). The leg was somewhat swollen.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
That's all well and good but what about this article that claims Zag thinks she lost to Rika due to excessive sneezing? :D Not to mention this quote:

"My fault is that she was not riding well enough. What you need to think about nothing and just roll your own - what I have to do in the program. I, for all I wish, cannot jump higher than myself. So, you just need to ride as I can,"

:huh:

babayaga

That's all well and good but what about this article that claims Zag thinks she lost to Rika due to excessive sneezing? :D Not to mention this quote:

"My fault is that she was not riding well enough. What you need to think about nothing and just roll your own - what I have to do in the program. I, for all I wish, cannot jump higher than myself. So, you just need to ride as I can,"

:huh:
I did not respond since i am horrible at translations, even though i do speak russian. Basiaclly Alina is saying that she was too tense, that’s why she made mistakes. Cannot jump higher than myself means cannot do more than i can do, admitting that Rika is simply stronger. So she just needs to skate what she trained for and not think about others.
something like that. This google translate is awsome though )))

babayaga

Especially the sneezing part. :lol:
:lol::lol: I double checked and it is not sneezing in the translation, it's squeezing: "Zagitova believes that she lost to Kihira in the Grand Prix finals due to excessive squeezing" I don't know if it's better or worse though :lol:
It is translation of the word that should have been translated as something like "tension".

Wyliefan

Forgive me for bringing all this up once more after it's all been hashed out again and again, but Alina's PCS are a JOKE. (I finally got caught up with the Ladies' LP -- needed a bit of a break after that crazy skating weekend!). I like her, I respect her talent and stamina, I wish her well, but come on. There is not one moment of beauty or grace in that program. It's all flailing limbs and rushed, awkward movements. Total joke. :mad:

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Forgive me for bringing all this up once more after it's all been hashed out again and again, but Alina's PCS are a JOKE. (I finally got caught up with the Ladies' LP -- needed a bit of a break after that crazy skating weekend!). I like her, I respect her talent and stamina, I wish her well, but come on. There is not one moment of beauty or grace in that program. It's all flailing limbs and rushed, awkward movements. Total joke. :mad:
Sheesh, that seems a bit savage and overstated. Why the need to keep beating on Alina?

I like her Carmen. I don't think she's aiming at beauty and grace here. It is more of an angular, modern dance style of piece, kind of like V/M's Carmen.

Wyliefan

I'm not beating on Alina. (Lord, I can't believe we all have to keep saying that. I would think by now people could see the difference between critiquing a system and bashing a skater.) It's not her fault that she's choreographed, trained, and judged the way she is. Not one iota of that is her fault. She's doing her very best with what she's been given. But what she's been given is not good.

(And btw, I'm one of those who actually liked her ballet programs and the way she performed them.)

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Being the 10000th person on FSU to savage Alina's PCS does amount to beating on her IMHO. As the saying goes, "why beat a dead horse?" Plus, if you're attributing everything you don't like to "what she's been given," it should be possible to distinguish between what you consider a bad program and her ability to perform and interpret it.

Wyliefan

I said before, I just now watched the long program, which is why I'm just now sharing my thoughts. You're free to make up whatever opinions you want about what I said, but that doesn't make them correct. Have a lovely day. :)

Spun Silver

I'm not "making up opinions," I am expressing mine. Just as you do. And even if you just got around to watching the GPF, the first line of your post (#492) made it clear that you are aware that Alina's PCS have been attacked all season. Not making that up either. Have a lovely day. :)

VIETgrlTerifa

I think Wyliefan is just expressing her opinion now that she finally watched the ladies LP. This is the appropriate topic to discuss the ladies LP at the GPF.

Simone411

Well bleffing Covfefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
I'm not beating on Alina. (Lord, I can't believe we all have to keep saying that. I would think by now people could see the difference between critiquing a system and bashing a skater.) It's not her fault that she's choreographed, trained, and judged the way she is. Not one iota of that is her fault. She's doing her very best with what she's been given. But what she's been given is not good.

(And btw, I'm one of those who actually liked her ballet programs and the way she performed them.)
I understand exactly what you mean. Alina isn't the only one that does that with the arms. I've even mentioned this in the past and it's especially with younger skaters. You know, I'm 60 years old now and when I say younger skaters, that's exactly what they are.

I've always believed with time, the flailing of the arms will tone down. I admit that I've compared some of the skaters that do that to the Kween. The way I've explained it before is that Michelle never flapped her arms around looking like a seagull in desperation trying to escape a storm. But that's exactly what some of the younger skaters do appear to be doing. It's like if they don't flap those arms around then they won't escape the storm.

Okay. This is the only way I've ever been able to explain what I've seen, and I'm not beating on Alina or any of the other skaters, either. I do hope some day that the younger ladies will learn how to tone it down a bit because at one time during Alina's LP, she looked like she was about to take off in flight with those flapping arms. And it's not just with Alina, either.

muffinplus

Alina's program live was not THAT bad... I remember her hitting some of the musical accents in the second half

I've seen worse choreography in Eteri programs ( 9/11 averbukh comes to mind)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)