• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2018 4CCs Ladies FS: Where the under-rotations outnumber the audience members

PRlady

praying for a Youtube stream
Ratings
Just checking the results. A bit worried if Satoko can't beat her own younger teammates, and Angie, sigh. I guess there's a reason why she's never been a top-tier US skater.

rfisher

Will you rise like a phoenix or be a burnt chicken
Ratings
She fell and UR a jump. This is always going to be an issue with Satoko unfortunately (the UR not the jumps so much unless her hip is still bothering her). Sadly, I fully expect some of the younger Japanese to push her out. There are more coming just like in Russia.

Thread starter #124

peibeck

Simply looking
Ratings
I guess I just figured this would be Miyhara's last season anyway, given her injury seemed pretty bad last year. Still I had hoped she could win here since she survived the zygotes at Japanese Nationals.

I think I'm most shocked at Tursy. Lots of downgrades and low PCS. Her stock has fallen off the charts. :(

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Ratings
It's a little thing, but we see soooooooo many half-a$$ed "difficult entrances" into layback spins.

Mariah Bell's entrance into her FS layback was FANTASTIC!

https://youtu.be/NOmJqR8rLqQ?t=4m1s

Congrats to Kaori!!! Hope her PCS increases!

I kind of wish they'd sent Wakaba here instead of Worlds, in case she succumbs to pressure again. But I suppose the chance she'd beat both her teammates was real.

Rafter

Ratings
Tracker showing zero points for Chartrand's last two spins? What the heck? At Skate Canada she lost value for one of her spins too.
Bad coaching on Michelle Leigh’s part! And I guess McLeod too in,Ed’s she didn’t have enough time with her. Have to say I liked McLeod’s positivity with Chartrand.

PRlady

praying for a Youtube stream
Ratings
Just watched Kaori's skate. Girl is amazing and it's such a charming program. And she wasn't even on most people's lists of contenders for Japan's Oly spots!

I agree she's a dark horse for a medal in Korea.

SmallFairy

#teamtrainwreck #teamjapan #speakingwiththesoul
Ratings
@rosewood On Instagram Team Hamada posted photos of Satoko crying on the press conference. Do you know what's going on? Hope it's just lots of emotions, nothing serious...

Wyliefan

Ratings
Saw on Twitter that Satoko cried at the press conference and blamed herself for "mental weakness." :( I hate to hear that. She's so exquisite and lovely in every way -- I want her to believe in herself and come back strong at the Olympics.

SmallFairy

#teamtrainwreck #teamjapan #speakingwiththesoul
Ratings
Thanks @Wyliefan That is just so sad! She shouldn't be so hard on herself. Everything about her skating is so lovely and she's just returned from a long term injury. I don't mean to generalize in any way, but is it sort of a Japanese mindset? They put very high demands on themselves (also society demands high standards? In school, at work... ) and are very humble people. (((Satoko)))

vesperholly

Ratings
It's a little thing, but we see soooooooo many half-a$$ed "difficult entrances" into layback spins.

Mariah Bell's entrance into her FS layback was FANTASTIC!

https://youtu.be/NOmJqR8rLqQ?t=4m1s
A lot of ladies are attempting an illusion entry into a layback spin, but mostly it just looks like a failed camel and they shouldn't be getting credit for them. Mariah does it right.

oleada

Ratings
Kaori, Carolina, Kaetlyn, Satoko and Maria all have season’s best within 3ish points of each other (217-214). Assuming that Alina and Evgenia are on the podium, I think that bronze will be between who ever skates best out of those five on the night. Kaori is definitely right in the mix. She also seems to be on an upward trajectory unlike some of the other skaters on that list.

Thread starter #139

peibeck

Simply looking
Ratings
Maybe all the miming is why I wasn't so charmed. :shuffle: I prefered Mai, but the edge call and one of her lutz's getting dinged kept her from the top step. I don't get Sakamoto's high interpretation mark, she really suffers (IMO) on that area compared to the other two Japanese ladies who were here.

rosewood

Ratings
@rosewood On Instagram Team Hamada posted photos of Satoko crying on the press conference. Do you know what's going on? Hope it's just lots of emotions, nothing serious...
Sorry to be late. I went to bed right after the medal ceremony. I didn't watch the press conference. Here are some excerpts from Japanese articles.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180127-00110167-nksports-spo
Satoko: "The thing I'm the most frustrated was I couldn't deliver what I was capable of." "A strong athlete can do well in whatever circumstance . Here I showed my weakness."
(So cute Kaori gave Satoko kleenex for wiping her tears. TEAM WORK :D)

Satoko: "After arriving here I couldn't have good self-confidence. I think it was the reason of today's [disappointing] results." "Still there are lots of things to work on ahead of me regardless any circumstance."
Hamada said to Satoko after FS: "Today's performance was not good at all. I'm disappointed."

Last edited:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Ratings
Sorry to be late. I went to bed right after the medal ceremony. I didn't watch the press conference. Here are some excerpts from Japanese articles.

Satoko: "The thing I'm the most frustrated was I couldn't deliver what I was capable of." "A strong athlete can do well in whatever circumstance . Here I showed my weakness."
(So cute Kaori gave Satoko kleenex for wiping her tears. TEAM WORK :D)

Satoko: "After arriving here I couldn't have good self-confidence. I think it was the reason of today's [disappointing] results." "Still there are lots of things to work on ahead of me regardless any circumstance."
Hamada said to Satoko after FS: "Today's performance was not good at all. I'm disappointed."
:(
Here’s a quick snippet of Satoko at that press conference (after the 5 minute mark):
https://youtu.be/qaegwNmK5IQ

Sort of happy that Hamada was very disappointed after Satoko’s LP, looks like her jumps are much stronger in practice. And her loops were much better here than they’ve been all season

Frau Muller

Make American Figure Skating Great Again!
Ratings
:( - I hope Tursynbaeva's hip pain isn't a serious injury... I'm sure there's no way she wants to miss competing in her first Olympics.
We cannot blame the hip injury for Tursy’s lackluster, unmusical, mechanically robotic delivery. Injury or no injury, this is what she is. She should’ve improved a little in this department after being on the scene for so many years.

insideedgeua

Ratings
Maybe all the miming is why I wasn't so charmed. :shuffle: I prefered Mai, but the edge call and one of her lutz's getting dinged kept her from the top step. I don't get Sakamoto's high interpretation mark, she really suffers (IMO) on that area compared to the other two Japanese ladies who were here.
All three Japanese ladies were beautiful, but watching in the Arena and not on TV, it was Kaori’s performance and interpretation that was best at crossing the barrier and reaching out to connect with the audience.

She had a standing O from those in the athlete seats.

gkelly

Ratings
Gotta admit, I zoned out during that skate, but Long seems happy! Laughing and warning people giving her gifts: "I don't catch very well!"
Good thing it wasn't a pair guy making that comment.

From isu.org:
maximum of 3 spins, one of which must be a spin combination, one a flying spin or a spin with a flying entrance and one a spin with only one position

Not sure why they would plan her program with three combo spins.
The penultimate spin was (eventually?) called as FCSSp, which is certainly what it looked like to me in real time. Maybe the panel made a mistake with the initial call? Or thought she came up out of the sit position too much at the change of foot but changed their minds on review?

Yes, 1Lo<< is pretty common on the half loop in the middle of sequences.

But it is also a not-uncommon weakness on single loops by adult pre-bronze and bronze ladies, and some no-test kids. I'm sure I've done some myself, maybe even in competition. But I wasn't getting scored under IJS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)