2017 Skate Canada High Performance Camp

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada’s annual High Performance Camp kicks off today, Wednesday August 30, and runs through Friday, September 1, 2017 at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. Media day is today.

https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/902880244591452160
"We are onsite at #HPCamp17! Follow here and Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat!"

List of this year's participants (eta: who are available for the media on Wednesday):

MEN
Patrick Chan, 26, Toronto, Ont.
Kevin Reynolds, 27, Coquitlam, B.C.
Nam Nguyen, 19, Toronto, Ont.
Keegan Messing, 25, Girdwood, Alaska, USA

WOMEN
Kaetlyn Osmond, 21, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alta.
Gabrielle Daleman, 19, Newmarket, Ont.
Alaine Chartrand, 21, Prescott, Ont.

PAIRS
Meagan Duhamel, 31, Lively, Ont. & Eric Radford, 32, Balmertown, Ont.
Lubov Ilyushechkina, 25, Toronto, Ont. & Dylan Moscovitch, 32, Toronto, Ont.
Kirsten Moore-Towers, 25, St. Catharines, Ont. & Michael Marinaro, 25, Sarnia, Ont.
Julianne Séguin, 20, Longueuil, Que. & Charlie Bilodeau, 24, Trois-Pistoles, Que.

ICE DANCE
Tessa Virtue, 28, London, Ont. & Scott Moir, 29, Ilderton, Ont.
Kaitlyn Weaver, 28, Waterloo, Ont. & Andrew Poje, 30, Waterloo, Ont.
Piper Gilles, 25, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 25, Unionville, Ont.
Carolane Soucisse, 22, Châteauguay, Que., & Shane Firus, 23, North Vancouver, B.C.

ETA: The rest of the 2017-18 national team members will arrive later are:

MEN
Nicolas Nadeau, 19, Boisbriand, Que.

WOMEN
Larkyn Austman, 19, Coquitlam, B.C.
Sarah Tamura, 16, Burnaby, B.C

PAIRS
Brittany Jones, 21, Toronto, Ont., & Joshua Reagan, 27, Toronto, Ont.
Camille Ruest, 23, Rimouski, Que., & Andrew Wolfe, 22, Calgary, Alta.

ICE DANCE
Haley Sales, 20, Burnaby, B.C., and Nikolas Wamsteeker, 20, Langley, B.C.

Last edited:

barbarafan

so it seems Skate Canada is looking at very few options for who is going to Olympics.

I would think in an olympic year that there would be a few skaters added. This experience is invaluable.

only 3 women??

surprised Nic Nadeau is not there. (also should have had at least 2 women)

honey

Camille Ruest posted on Instagram that they'd be at camp on Friday. I think maybe only those with a GP assignment are there today and the rest of the national team will be there later in the week. I agree it's a little weird though to not have everyone for the whole camp as I think it's been that way previously.

jmtfti

HPC rules are essentially the same each year: skaters with Grand Prix assignments + National Team status are definitely monitored and present for Day 1; National Team members without a GP assignment are generally only there to bank media footage and other later activities (rules seem to fluctuate for non-National Team skaters with GP assignments, but no skaters match that status this year). But this year does look more spare because so many fewer skaters have confirmed GP assignments -- Skate Canada has not yet assigned its TBDs in men, ladies, or pairs -- and once again only four dance teams with assignments.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I do too, but he's not on the national team this year.
I know that Elladj isn't on the National Team. He is still hoping to place well this year and go to the Olympics, though.
Since this is probably his last year as a competitive skater, I really hope he achieves his dream.
And I know the High Performance Camp will be much duller without him.

nimi

I know that Elladj isn't on the National Team. He is still hoping to place well this year and go to the Olympics, though.
Since this is probably his last year as a competitive skater, I really hope he achieves his dream.
I really want Elladj to go to the Olys but I also have a huge soft spot for Kevin and there's only one spot for skaters who aren't Patrick (who I love every year more and more) so I'm just gonna :wuzrobbed in any case.

Sylvia

TBD
London Free Press' video of Virtue/Moir talking to the media: https://www.facebook.com/lfpress/videos/vb.101058622057/10155028094427058/?type=2&theater
A fan has uploaded the video to YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d0yeMIYqKw
In the video interview with V/M posted in the HPC thread:
Moulin Rouge FD
Sympathy for the Devil, Hotel California, Santana for SD
Clip of Virtue/Moir's SD rumba to "Hotel California": https://twitter.com/LFPress/status/903012117753675776/video/1

Lori Ewing's article for The Canadian Press with quotes from Virtue/Moir and Patrick Chan: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...e-scott-moir-olympics-already-begun-1.4269365

ETA:

Ryan Pyette's Virtue/Moir article: http://www.lfpress.com/2017/08/30/tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-put-their-stamp-on-movie-music

Last edited:

victoriajh

trying to ignore rod and find the eurosport feed

supergirl573

nothing can beat the prince SD from last year- I wish they kept it.... just so we could see that straight line step sequence again.... drool....
i want to see more of the camp!!!! I loved it when they invited the public when it was here in vancouver... so much fun!!
You can't keep you SD. And how can you say it can't beat Prince if you haven't seen it yet?

kittysk8ts

And SD, In the Alaeine Instagram stories are G/P too but I do not recognize the music.
I see on Twitter that their FD is "Film Noir" inspired to music called Stolen Hearts. Rumour is the SD is to Gopher Mambo.

Addition - Stolen Hearts is from the album entitled Film Noir: Vintage Cinema Classics

Last edited:

cgirl8

Last edited:

chapis

I dont get it. It works for me. Anyway, I wrote Stolen Hearts film Noir in youtube and that video is in the first options. 1min 4 sec.

nimi

I dont get it. It works for me. Anyway, I wrote Stolen Hearts film Noir in youtube and that video is in the first options. 1min 4 sec.
It's a mystery! I did the same search and got a Stolen Hearts Hindi short film in the first options :watch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information