1/6 House Select Committee Hearings and Aftermath

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Liz Cheney will be on cnn (AC360) at 8pm today. I don't like Kasie Hunt who is going to interview her but I will watch it.

Allskate

Jury orders Infowars' Alex Jones to pay Sandy Hook parents more than $4 million for calling 2012 massacre a hoax.
I hope the punitive damages are much, much higher than this. He probably made more than $4 million dollars off of Sandy Hook and could see the $4 million simply as a cost of doing business. I don't see this deterring him or deterring others from continuing to engage in this kind of conduct. They have made so much money off of lies that hurt not only the country but private citizens. He needs to pay and to pay big if there is going to be any deterrent.

Dobre

jenny12

attyfan

$50 million I could see. $6 million would be an insult.
At least in CA, getting punies also requires evidence of the defendant's financial status, as a larger award is needed to punish a richer defendant (by making the defendant feel the financial inch) than would punish a poorer defendant.

Dobre

Per the lawyer's interview & at least one other post I read yesterday, they take the actual proven damages (in this case the $4 million), and they multiply by a certain factor. If it gets up beyond ten or fifteen times the proven damages, then it generally has to go to an appellate court and can be cut back.

So a lot of the estimates I've seen are topping out at $40,000 because of that factor of ten.

Dobre

Classic example of the press trying to write a story before there's a story to write yet.

This was posted yesterday:

"President Biden has no plans to fire DHS inspector general Joseph Cuffari — who failed to notify Congress despite knowing for months that Secret Service texts from Jan. 6 were missing — says White House press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre. Biden believes in the independent role of the inspectors general and has confidence in Cuffari, KJP says. Worth noting that Biden took this position on the 2020 campaign trail, after Trump had fired numerous inspectors general."

(I remember thinking that "has no plans" doesn't mean won't fire Cuffari if there's evidence that the action is necessary).

And now this is out today:

Anyway, the following sounds like where things actually are:

"White House officials are reviewing newly discovered information about DHS Inspector General Joseph Cuffari's handling of an investigation into missing Secret Service text messages."

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Classic example of the press trying to write a story before there's a story to write yet.

This was posted yesterday:

"President Biden has no plans to fire DHS inspector general Joseph Cuffari — who failed to notify Congress despite knowing for months that Secret Service texts from Jan. 6 were missing — says White House press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre. Biden believes in the independent role of the inspectors general and has confidence in Cuffari, KJP says. Worth noting that Biden took this position on the 2020 campaign trail, after Trump had fired numerous inspectors general."

(I remember thinking that "has no plans" doesn't mean won't fire Cuffari if there's evidence that the action is necessary).

And now this is out today:

Anyway, the following sounds like where things actually are:

"White House officials are reviewing newly discovered information about DHS Inspector General Joseph Cuffari's handling of an investigation into missing Secret Service text messages."
If he had any integrity he would resign ASAP.

Allskate

Biden is in a difficult situation regarding the Secret Service and those who investigate them. I think he has to be very careful with the Secret Service for his own safety. There unquestionably are people who would like to kill him. He can't afford to alienate or enrage the people entrusted with his security. I would hope that the media would be especially careful when reporting about Biden and the Secret Service, but I have no expectation that they will be.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think punitive damages will be huge. Some are estimating some $150,000,000. We will see.
45.2 million

I wonder if other Sandy Hook parents will bring lawsuits too? Will they get similar results? I do t mean they are after money. What they lost can never be replaced by money, but at least Alex Jones should pay for his actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information