1/6 House Select Committee Hearings and Aftermath

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Trump didn't really want to stop the nonsense, nor did he want the riot to stop. He was pressured to. At that point he must have realized that his plan had not been successful. It did delay the vote, so May be there was a chance If the count had not been finished that night.

I don't think he would have admitted even to himself that it hadn't been successful. What pressured him into making his pathetic "go home we love you" speech was being told that there were people willing to invoke the 25th amendment if he didn't.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I don't think he would have admitted even to himself that it hadn't been successful. What pressured him into making his pathetic "go home we love you" speech was being told that there were people willing to invoke the 25th amendment if he didn't.
Never did it of his own free will.

Dobre

Top Democrats, Alleging Cover-Up, Seek Testimony on Secret Service Texts​

The leaders of two House committees told the Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general that they had developed “grave new concerns over your lack of transparency and independence.”

"Two influential House Democrats called on Monday for two officials at the Department of Homeland Security’s independent watchdog to testify to Congress about the agency’s handling of missing Secret Service text messages from the day of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, accusing their office of engaging in a cover-up.

In a letter sent Monday to Joseph V. Cuffari, the agency’s inspector general, the heads of two congressional committees said they had developed “grave new concerns over your lack of transparency and independence, which appear to be jeopardizing the integrity of a crucial investigation run by your office.”

The letter from Representative Carolyn B. Maloney, Democrat of New York and the chairwoman of the Oversight Committee, and Representative Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi and the chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, renewed a demand the pair made last week that Mr. Cuffari step aside from the investigation. It also called for two of his office’s top employees to testify this month."

"Mr. Cuffari last month informed the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack that the messages had been erased, suggesting that it occurred as part of a device replacement program, and that the department had ceased looking into what became of them because they were the subject of a criminal investigation. He has said those whose messages were missing included agents who were part of former President Donald J. Trump’s security detail.

In the letter on Monday, Ms. Maloney and Mr. Thompson, who also leads the Jan. 6 panel, wrote that their committees had obtained “new evidence” that Mr. Cuffari’s office had “secretly abandoned efforts to collect text messages from the Secret Service more than a year ago.” They added that his office “may have taken steps to cover up the extent of missing records, raising further concerns about your ability to independently and effectively perform your duties as inspector general.”

"Representative Jamie Raskin, Democrat of Maryland and a member of the Jan. 6 committee, said it appeared that the inspector general 'was extremely tardy in reporting this egregious situation for a long time.'

'It’s getting to the point where inspectors general need inspectors general,' he said. 'It just seems like a scandalous dereliction of duty on his part.'"

(Cuffari was appointed to his position as inspector general by Trump, fyi, in case anyone is just starting to follow this now).

ballettmaus

Trump didn't really want to stop the nonsense, nor did he want the riot to stop. He was pressured to. At that point he must have realized that his plan had not been successful. It did delay the vote, so May be there was a chance If the count had not been finished that night.
That's what they said at the final hearing, that he waited to make that speech until he realized that the coup had failed.

Dobre

"But six weeks after the inspector general’s office first requested Secret Service communications from the time of the Capitol attack, that effort was shut down by Thomas Kait, the deputy inspector general for inspections and evaluations, the House committees said.

'Use this email as a reference to our conversation where I said we no longer request phone records and text messages from the USSS relating to the events on January 6th,' Kait wrote in a July 2021 email to a senior DHS liaison official, Jim Crumpacker, that was obtained by Congress.

The House committees also disclosed they had learned that Kait and other senior officials manipulated a memo, authored on 4 February 2022, that originally criticized the DHS for refusing to cooperate with its investigation and emphasized the need to review certain texts.

By the time that Kait and other senior officials had finished with the memo, the House committee said, mentions about the erased texts from the Secret Service or the DHS secretary had been removed and instead praised the agency for its response to the internal review.

The memo went from being a stinging rebuke that said 'most DHS components have not provided the requested information” to saying “we received a timely and consolidated response from each component', the House committees said.

Appearing to acknowledge the removal of the damaging findings in the memo, Kait asked colleagues around that time: 'Am I setting us up for anything by adding what I did? I spoke with Kristen late last week and she was ok with acknowledging the DAL’s efforts.'"

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

"But six weeks after the inspector general’s office first requested Secret Service communications from the time of the Capitol attack, that effort was shut down by Thomas Kait, the deputy inspector general for inspections and evaluations, the House committees said.

'Use this email as a reference to our conversation where I said we no longer request phone records and text messages from the USSS relating to the events on January 6th,' Kait wrote in a July 2021 email to a senior DHS liaison official, Jim Crumpacker, that was obtained by Congress.

The House committees also disclosed they had learned that Kait and other senior officials manipulated a memo, authored on 4 February 2022, that originally criticized the DHS for refusing to cooperate with its investigation and emphasized the need to review certain texts.

By the time that Kait and other senior officials had finished with the memo, the House committee said, mentions about the erased texts from the Secret Service or the DHS secretary had been removed and instead praised the agency for its response to the internal review.

The memo went from being a stinging rebuke that said 'most DHS components have not provided the requested information” to saying “we received a timely and consolidated response from each component', the House committees said.

Appearing to acknowledge the removal of the damaging findings in the memo, Kait asked colleagues around that time: 'Am I setting us up for anything by adding what I did? I spoke with Kristen late last week and she was ok with acknowledging the DAL’s efforts.'"
The corruption is so deep! I hope these people will be investigated, prosecuted, and sentenced as per the laws. They should not be allowed to go with a slap on the wrist. The very security of the country is at risk.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Top former Trump officials at DOD have wiped messages from their phones.

So were phones at The Pentagon and Homeland Security!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Top former Trump officials at DOD have wiped messages from their phones.

So were phones at The Pentagon and Homeland Security!

This is alarming. Isn't that against rules? May be against the laws?

Can they be subpoenaEd to tell under oath what was in the erased messages and why they were erased?

The articke says Merrick Garland has been informed. Some in the party have declined to comment to CNN. We may never know the truth about Jan 6.

Trump must be barred from ever running for office. I can't imagine that he didn't know about this, what is not known is if he ordered this.

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
Even when we do find out what happened with the coup, the nation will continue to be very broken. The Trump cult is exactly that - a cult whose members do not/will not believe any evidence that can be presented.

I joined Twitter a month ago out of boredom. I knew there were members of the cult out there, I knew some were unreachable, but my God, the numbers are ahocking.

Dobre

Isn't that against rules? May be against the laws?
Per the article above:

"'American Oversight accordingly urges you to investigate DOD’s actions in allowing the destruction of records potentially relevant to this significant matter of national attention and historical importance,' the letter said, while citing calls from Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin that the Department of Homeland Security be investigated for similar failures, the letter, shared with CNN on Tuesday, said.

After filing the FOIA requests with the Defense Department and the Army, American Oversight says the Pentagon acknowledged the request on January 15, 2021. American Oversight then filed a lawsuit that March to force disclosure of the records. In addition to the FOIA obligations American Oversight says the Pentagon has ignored in failing to preserve the records, Sawyer also pointed to a separate federal records law also require that the government preserve records that have 'informational value of the data in them.'

“I think it’s highly unlikely that anyone could argue with a straight face that communications happening between these top officials on January 6 would not have the type of informational value that the Federal Records Law is meant to reach,” Sawyer said. American Oversight is seeking records for several other Pentagon officials – some of whom remain within government service."

"A spokesman for the January 6 committee declined to comment on records related to the Pentagon.

A former Defense Department official from a previous administration told CNN that it is ingrained into new hires during their onboarding that their work devices were subject to the Presidential Records Act and indicated their communications would be archived. The source said it was assumed when they turned in their devices at the end of their employment, any communication records would be archived."

caseyedwards

This makes it seem like the work devices are just locked in a drawer! Lol surely not. Surely all the devices are Wiped so they can be reused by new employees. That all the information should have been constantly backed up to some kind of archive. Plus Piersonal devices are not the main storage of texts. That belongs to the phone company. So bottom line of course all work devices were wiped so they can get reused. So who didn’t backup the devices but even if they didn’t it’s not important because texts are stored by carrier

Main point also you don’t need the texts to put trump in jail today

caseyedwards

Even when we do find out what happened with the coup, the nation will continue to be very broken. The Trump cult is exactly that - a cult whose members do not/will not believe any evidence that can be presented.

I joined Twitter a month ago out of boredom. I knew there were members of the cult out there, I knew some were unreachable, but my God, the numbers are ahocking.
It was revealed a huge number of accounts are fake and bots. Let’s say some famous liberal or conservative tweets something. More than half of replies could be from fake accounts someone has paid for

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Professor Tribe said on cnn that all things point to Trump, when you look at the erased information (Paraphrasing).

Dobre

Yeah, I think ultimately someone is responsible, right? Either you have the data which says who is responsible, or you charge the folks who were responsible for keeping the data. Ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere. And it seems to me that the person who ties all of these things together: the DOD, the Secret Service, the rally, a number of inspectors general, the last minute folks who were put in charge when other people resigned on 1/6, the lawyers that were putting pressure on state election officials, the lawyers that were recruiting fake electors? (Sounds like they were? Though maybe it was the head(s) of the GOP in some states?) Meadows burning documents.

Anyway the buck has to stop somewhere, and it seems to me it should stop with Trump.

caseyedwards

Yes. These are crimes in service of bigger crime! Trumps crime! And everyone knows what that crime is. And that crime could have been indicted on and even tried on last year. And trump could actually be in jail already. But democrats want to use these crimes to win elections. Much like they are funding trump supporters campaigns for congress and governor and senate democrats are keeping trump free. And may even spend money on trump against Desantis or whoever. All these rioters are going to prison or have been In prison. That could be trump but democrats are keeping him free.

sk9tingfan

EVERY FIVE MINUTES, SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS!

Duty To Warn 🔉
@duty2warn
·
The DOJ is suing Peter Navarro, separately from the criminal contempt case of him evading Committee subpoena, to force him to turn over records from a private mail server account he allegedly used for messages while he worked in the Trump WH.
Sometimes when it rains, it pours.

sk9tingfan

Just an observation; between the 1/6 Committee, DOJ and WH/Biden, could anyone have seen the Trump Administration moving at 1/10 the rate?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I believe taking the 5th or is it accepting a pardon you agree to being guilty?

Edited - I believe it's when you accept a pardon?
I don't think you have to agree formerly to anything. But being pardoned has implied guilt associated with it.

Allskate

Will he take the 5th? During the J6 deposition he refused to answer some questions.
I very much doubt that he will take the Fifth. The Fifth Amendment involves the privilege against self-incrimination. I'm pretty sure that was not the privilege Cipollone was invoking during the Congressional hearing. He was invoking the executive privilege and/or the attorney-client privilege in connection with statements made by Trump, which didn't have much basis in law. If he invokes those privileges with a grand jury subpoena, the court probably will order him to testify anyway, at least with most of the key statements, and I don't think he will refuse to testify when the Court rejects such privilege claims. He's not Bannon. He's not going to be willing to go to prison over this and sacrifice his ability to practice law. I also doubt that he would invoke the Fifth Amendment. Nothing so far indicates that he committed a crime. If he did invoke the Fifth Amendment, I would guess that he would be offered immunity to get him to testify. His testimony is too valuable, and it's unlikely that he's a serious target of the investigation.

Dobre

Homeland Security watchdog previously accused of misleading investigators, report says

:wall:

Long article about all the red flags surrounding the inspector general, Mr. Cuffari. Let's see if we can count them, shall we?
(There are, of course, questions here about the quality of his vetting. I think we all know the only question you have to pass in order to be selected by Trump is whether you will do whatever he wants you to do).

"The Homeland Security watchdog now under scrutiny for his handling of deleted Secret Service text messages from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol previously was accused of misleading federal investigators and running “afoul” of ethics regulations while he was in charge of a Justice Department inspector general field office in Tucson, according to a newly disclosed government report.

In the 2013 report from the Justice Department’s inspector general, which was never publicly released, investigators said they did “not believe” Joseph V. Cuffari’s explanation for why he failed to inform his supervisors — against federal rules — about his testimony in a lawsuit brought by a federal prisoner. (#1)

Separately,
they found that Cuffari broke ethics rules by referring law firms to the prisoner’s family, including firms where some of his close friends worked. (#2) “We concluded Cuffari’s actions violated the [inspector general] manual’s prohibition on unethical conduct,” said the report, which also noted that he may have violated guidelines by using his government email to lobby for a position as inspector general for the Arizona National Guard (#3), among other issues (?).

"Cuffari’s three years as Homeland Security’s inspector general have been marked by numerous allegations of partisan decision-making and investigative failures — including, most recently, his decision in February to scrap efforts by his department to recover Secret Service texts sent during the Jan. 6 insurrection."

"Despite his lack of high-level management experience and a government career in which he advanced over 20 years to a role supervising fewer than five agents (#4 & 5) in an outpost of the Justice Department’s watchdog division, the White House and the Senate moved quickly to install Cuffari at Homeland Security after controversies had engulfed a string of previous watchdogs."

"From immigration policy to reports of sexual misconduct in the sprawling agency created after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Cuffari has shown an unwillingness to conduct the independent oversight of federal agencies mandated by law (#6), critics say — instead directing his staff to tread lightly on the conduct of former political appointees in his own party to avoid embarrassing them when investigators uncovered mismanagement or misconduct (#7)."

"Investigators said Cuffari did not inform his supervisors about what he was up to (referring a prisoner's family to law firms that employed his close friends) when he testified against the government in a hearing without permission. They also found that he violated ethics rules by sharing information that could lead to a lawsuit that would enrich his friends (#8)."

"Cuffari’s testimony (in the prisoner's case), without approval from his chain of command (#9), was 'in violation of the inspector general manual' and that his 'personal relationship' with the inmate’s attorneys raised questions about his ethics and impartiality. His explanations, the investigators found, were 'simply not credible.'"

Oy! That's only halfway through the article.

----

"On Nov 9, 2020 AFTER Trump lost he fired Esper and installed Chris Miller 'Acting Sec of Defense' and Kash Patel. In DC the only people who can deploy the National Guard are POTUS and Sec of Defense. These are the 14 times Miller denied the National Guard"

Follow the link above to read about the 14 times.

Dobre

Democrat Seeks Inspector General Inquiry Into Pentagon’s Missing Jan. 6 Texts​

--I propose an inspector general not selected by Trump. You know--so more stuff doesn't go missing before we realize the inspector general is covering up stuff.

Fool me once . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information