1/6 House Select Committee Hearings and Aftermath

ballettmaus

Because it wasn't needed
Which is why I think it's more likely than not that they have at least an indication that it's true. There was no reason to include it because it wasn't relevant to her testimony as a whole. It speaks to Trump's mindset and how frantic he was but it doesn't change the fact that he knew the rioters would be armed, that he wanted them to be and that he didn't believe they'd hurt him.

The way the committee acted up until now does not suggest that they would include this detail without having looked into it before.

The thing is, as was mentioned by someone else, the Secret Service does not comment on incidents with the President. Chances are, Engel and Ornato didn't comment when asked about it.
If the Secret Service doesn't comment on incidents with the President, could either get in trouble for mentioning it to an aide? If so, they'd have another reason to deny it, especially publicly.

I would give up my break and Fourth of July holiday to save democracy. I’m guessing most of them feel the same.
So would I. But my point is that I read that this was supposed to be a "district week" and that some staffers are already on their 4th of July break. So, it doesn't sound like the meeting with the CFO was scheduled either or any committee activity for that matter.

On a general note, I wish all Republicans behaved during hearings in the way Cheney and Kinzinger are behaving right now. I have no idea what happens behind closed doors, if Republicans are turning it into less of a clown show then but Cheney and Kinzinger are setting an example!

Allskate

On a general note, I wish all Republicans behaved during hearings in the way Cheney and Kinzinger are behaving right now. I have no idea what happens behind closed doors, if Republicans are turning it into less of a clown show then but Cheney and Kinzinger are setting an example!
McCarthy did not put Republicans on the committee, so the Republicans who did take part are going to behave differently from most Republicans. There are still plenty of clowns and scumbags. They just aren't on the Committee.
And now you have a bunch of Members on the Committee who actually want the truth to get out. They haven't been successful in getting most of the key players to show up (and not plead the Fifth), but they are getting a lot of information to the public.

caseyedwards

They aren’t denying the most important revelations: - he knew there were weapons - he wanted to lead the capitol attack - there was likely coordination between team trump and proud boys/oathkeepers - all those pardon requests - everyone knew what was coming days ahead

But the big question is why did DC police, secret service and capitol police all allow the weapons. Why wasn’t anyone arrested and why was trump allowed to speak. Was there a plan to allow guns in the hope trump would be taken out

El Rey

They turned into a major "wow" part of the whole testimony. And my whole thing is she should have left out the details that were going to be controversial and arguable. I noticed it, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here, not trying to excuse anybody for anything. She could have told the panel to ask the guys who were there, since she was in another car. Leonnig said it was "logistically possible" because it didn't have all the communication stuff between the seats. I'm wondering how it could have been physically possible FOR TRUMP. And it is how he got to the ellipse, so, yeah, that's what would have taken him away from the ellipse.

Geez. When is the last time you rode in an SUV? It’s even more plausible for Trump to try to get into the front of the SUV than if he were riding in a limo. Sure he’s obese but he’s also not stuck at home and needs to be sawed out of his house cause he can’t fit through the door. At his height it wouldn’t take a lot of effort to get into the front of the car. By simply leaning. Or lunging…

As others have said, this is all a distraction. One can say I didn’t say that if it wasn’t verbatim. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Dobre

"There’s a lot of details that we can still fill in. Every day there are new people coming forward…ladies and gentlemen, you’re going to know the truth, and when your kids go to school, someday they’re going to be taught the truth about January 6th.”
--Kinzinger

Well said, Mr. Kinzinger. I hope you're right. I've had a strong mental image of a social studies textbook page with a subheading of The Pandemic followed by a subheading of The Big Lie ever since November 2020. I'm now starting to wonder what the heading is going to be to describe this rogue court. Hmm. I'm thinking The Rogue Court might be exactly what it's called.

Susan1

Which is why I think it's more likely than not that they have at least an indication that it's true. There was no reason to include it because it wasn't relevant to her testimony as a whole. It speaks to Trump's mindset and how frantic he was but it doesn't change the fact that he knew the rioters would be armed, that he wanted them to be and that he didn't believe they'd hurt him.
Thank you for being thoughtful, but watch out. People might start attacking you for your opinion. Or even because you WON'T LET IT GO.
You have more faith than I do in her ever letting ANYTHING go where she might have to admit she was anything less than RIGHT!!!
Who in the world are you? I absolutely don't want your faith in anything. If you don't like me, stop replying to my comments or referring to me in any way. I "admitted" that the trump administration might all call everything he rides in "the Beast", even though I know the only Beast is the limo, of which there are several. It's not just my opinion. Some newspeople are still throwing out "he was in the Beast". Others are saying "well, the Suburban was not the Beast". And I do get bogged down in details (I'm an ISFJ, former Executive Secretary, and Mortgage Analyst, and "grammartician" <nickname) because inconsistencies CAN throw doubt on the veracity of a whole statement and everything that comes before and after it. I've heard "unforced error" a dozen times since yesterday. I "liked" where someone said that the guys in the car were devout trumpists who would lie for him or something - ha "something to the effect of"..... . I know I write a novel when a sentence will do, but do I have to to that to acknowledge that someone is right instead of just "liking" it.
Please could you stop the personal attacks. They are unkind and a distraction.
Plus they make my stomach hurt. I always forget that I’m the only democrat who is only allowed to express an opinion or attach something if it agrees with everybody else. I get called names and have been told what, when and how to post, and if you (collective "you" - certain people on this board, not "you" nlloyd) reply negatively to my comments, I am just supposed to sit here and shut up? Back at the beginning of the pandemic, somebody (I won't say who since they are not around anymore) told ME to stop posting about the grocery store when everyone else was doing it. Someone else told them to knock it off. And they replied a little "sorry" to them. Not to me. (Don't post the Ohio updates; do post the Ohio updates; I don't care about the Ohio updates; where are Susan1's Ohio updates). Man.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Honestly who gives a flying feck about the steering wheel lunge when that isn't a criminal offence or of any relevance to anything about 6th Jan at all?
As was discussed earlier in this thread, attempting to seize control of the vehicle and potentially endangering the lives of the driver and any other passengers in the vehicle most likely are offenses and impeachable ones at that. Why no one breathed a word of this to Congress during the second impeachment proceeding is beyond me.

sk9tingfan

There was an aide designated as the Music Man whose job was to play show tunes when Trump was upset. Apparently, Memories from Cats was one of his favorites. You can't make this stuff up.
More than 6,000 people sent musical suggestions to Michael Beschloss, presidential historian. Prominent among them was (I was one of them) Cell Block Tango. He had it coming.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
As was discussed earlier in this thread, attempting to seize control of the vehicle and potentially endangering the lives of the driver and any other passengers in the vehicle most likely are offenses and impeachable ones at that. Why no one breathed a word of this to Congress during the second impeachment proceeding is beyond me.
I suspect they didn't ask the right people. At that time, Meadows and other top officials thought they'd be able to claim executive privilege. And nobody asked Cassidy. :lol:

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
I suspect they didn't ask the right people. At that time, Meadows and other top officials thought they'd be able to claim executive privilege.
I also think at that time, they thought TFG would still find a way to take over the government and they didn't want to be charged with Treason by TFG.

Vagabond

I suspect they didn't ask the right people. At that time, Meadows and other top officials thought they'd be able to claim executive privilege. And nobody asked Cassidy. :lol:
If someone had knowledge of the President's assault on the driver (the driver himself, for example), that person should have contacted the appropriate Representatives, such as Jamie Raskin, and reported the incident himself without waiting to be contacted by investigators. The same goes for those who had knowledge of much else to which Cassidy Hutchinson testified, including that Trump wanted to go to the Capitol and knew that many insurrectionists were armed.

Hutchinson herself should have reported these things at the time. At least she has reported them now!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Lawrence Tribe advising his former student, Merrick Garland as to what he would advise him to do and why:

I believe it's Laurence Tribe on Lawrence O'Donell's show The Last Word. Watched it last night. I have always liked Professor Tribe. Will the student follow his advice or is he too intimidated by what the people will think?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For those who are saying Cassidy should have reported the vehicle incident immediately-

She was just an aide. Was she going to report to authorities something she had no first hand knowledge of? Who would have taken her seriously? It took great courage on her part to testify before the committee, and she did it because she was asked about it.

The people that need to testify now are those with first hand knowledge. Unfortunately they don't have the courage to go against their dear leader. If at all they testify, they are likely to either take the 5th or claim executive privilege (applicable or not). I applaud Cassidy Hutchinson for her courage.

Last edited:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
OK, Last thing on the Steering wheel-gate. Ornato is a known liar.

Tony Ornato lied about me too. During the protests at Lafayette sq in 2020, I told Mark Meadows & Ornato they needed to warn press staged there before clearing the square. Meadows replied: 'we aren’t doing that.' Tony later lied &said the exchange never happened. He knows it did," tweeted Alyssa Farah Griffin, former White House director of strategic communications.

Griffin's tweet Wednesday was in response to one from Olivia Troye, who was a homeland security and counterterrorism adviser to former Vice President Mike Pence. Troye pointed to a report in the Washington Post in which a military official was upset with Ornato's plans to move Pence to Join Base Andrews around the time of the riot. Ornato later denied that military official's version of events.

"Tony Ornato sure seems to deny conversations he’s apparently had. First this one with Keith Kellogg in 'I Alone Can Fix It' & now he’s denying the story he told Cassidy Hutchinson. Those of us who worked w/ Tony know where his loyalties lie. He should testify under oath," Troye tweeted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information