1/6 House Select Committee Hearings and Aftermath

Susan1

Not a lawyer here, but one of the guidelines for those questioning witnesses in any kind of formal hearing is: don't ask a question that you don't already know the answer to.

If the committee members were confident enough to ask Hutchinson the questions they asked yesterday, they were obviously confident that what she was saying was true, and could be verified. That's enough for me.
Oooo.K. - she probably said they would corroborate her statement. Nobody bothered to find out if they would in the rush to have the surprise hearing.

Dobre

:rofl: Everyone's credibility is better than Trump's. (Even the real lulus haven't had as much camera time in order to rack up as many lies on record as Trump).

If people are talking about the possible attack in the SUV, then people are talking about the hearings. If people are talking about the hearings, more people are watching the hearings and going to watch the hearings. And more news outlets are going to write about the hearings.

Insert Princess Bride voiceover:
I don't think this means what Trump World thinks it means.

There is no good news for Trump in these hearings.

skatemomaz

Resist
Oooo.K. - she probably said they would corroborate her statement. Nobody bothered to find out if they would in the rush to have the surprise hearing.
Again, all of this testimony was first given in closed door hearings before the live hearing. That's why they kept cutting to the video of her testifying.

ballettmaus

I've actually wondered if the "source close to the Secret Service" was Trump. After his tantrum on his social media platform and his insistence that he didn't throw the dishes, I could easily see him calling a journalist and claiming that didn't happen. He's usually bothered the most by insignificant things that make him look like a child.

Rudy and Meadows are denying the pardon claims. Rudy says Hutchinson was never present when he demanded a pardon, so, as someone on Twitter pointed out, how many pardons did he ask for? :p

Allskate

Regarding the vehicle assault story. She had to tell the whole truth. That's required. She said Engel was in the room during the telling, didn't she? He & Ornato should be able to say, under oath, whether or not that is the story she was told.
More importantly, they may be able to answer questions about whether Trump knew that the rioters were armed and didn't want them disarmed before they moved on the Capitol. It's interesting what Trump and the others are not denying even without being under oath.

Let Trump, Pence, Meadows, Rudy, Eastman, etc. all come and testify under oath. Add in the scumbag officials and lawyers who announced that there was fraud and broke ethics rules going to court to bring cases they knew were baseless.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Susan1 "Nobody bothered to find out"? Come on. Do you seriously think the committee would have called a special hearing on short notice - which would draw even more intense interest than before - if they weren't satisfied in advance that her story was true?

I honestly don't know why you are so determined to pick holes in her story.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
More importantly, they may be able to answer questions about whether Trump knew that the rioters were armed and didn't want them disarmed before they moved on the Capitol. It's interesting what Trump and the others are not denying even without being under oath.

Let Trump, Pence, Meadows, Rudy, Eastman, etc. all come and testify under oath. Add in the scumbag officials and lawyers who announced that there was fraud and broke ethics rules going to court to bring cases they knew were baseless.
They will All lie under oath to protect their leader. :(
If they are caught with perjury, they will serve prison sentence while he enjoys all the luxuries outside.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Jamie Raskin is brilliant. They knew exactly what type of response Trump would have. They showed Trump sitting in the SUV JUST BEHIND the driver for a reason. He wasn't in the limo which would have been impossible for him to have done what his buddy Tony said he did. He was in the SUV and there's footage of him. I would bet there is satellite footage of the entire trip back to the WH that shows what happened. They monitor every move he makes and with the technology available, it's there. There are probably cams inside the vehicle. That footage could be obtained with a warrant since he's no longer POTUS. "Sources close to the secret service" my a$$.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Vash01 Don't be so sure. Trump is under suspicion for a whole lot of other things (e.g. filing misleading tax returns) in addition to committing treason. If he doesn't end up in prison for this, there's many other things he could end up in prison for.

Susan1

@Susan1 "Nobody bothered to find out"? Come on. Do you seriously think the committee would have called a special hearing on short notice - which would draw even more intense interest than before - if they weren't satisfied in advance that her story was true?

I honestly don't know why you are so determined to pick holes in her story.
Because it wasn't needed and is apparently causing mountains of controversy. It's not like the AG could use the anecdote, if it happened, to get trump or any of them. It wasn't illegal or against the US constitution. The only people who could do anything are the guys in the car, and it's not like they are going to sue trump for assault. It just came off as "gotcha" gossip. I believe the rest of it, all the parts that could cause charges to be brought against him and everybody else. They got out the part that he knew the crowd was armed and he sent them to the capitol. They got out the part where he knew Pence was in danger. They got out the part that he threw a hissy fit because he wanted to go, after he told them he would march with them. If anybody didn't know trump was furious for not getting his way, they've been under a rock for 7 years. He's publicly attacked everybody in his inner circle who poked a little finger out from under the bus he parked on them. They didn't call a special surprise hearing just for her to tell what someone told her happened in a car, just to have those people deny it later.

Nothing there about trying to grab a steering wheel.

Meoima

Earlier this year, the committee already asked the head of Trump’s detail on Jan. 6 — who was with Trump riding from the “Stop the Steal” rally to the White House that day — about that car trip. That agent, Robert Engel, gave testimony at the time that appears to be consistent with Hutchinson’s story but is not known to include the stunning details Hutchinson described.

The totality of Engel’s earlier testimony, however, is not fully known.

It’s not clear why the select panel didn’t seek further corroboration from the Secret Service as it planned Hutchinson’s hearing. Members of the select committee have said they welcome any more information about the Secret Service altercation that witnesses would provide under oath.

Allskate

Congress is not prosecuting anyone. They are free to and should explore subjects beyond elements of crimes.

Having said that, on the subject of criminal prosecution, there are all sorts of things that can provide context or circumstantial evidence of a crime, including state of mind. If Trump was adamant in the vehicle about going to the Capitol, that may be relevant to whether he intended to obstruct the election certification process. Good trial attorneys set a scene and tell a story. Is throwing a plate against the wall direct evidence of obstruction of justice or fraud? No. Does it show how angry he was about the statement and how intent he was in peddling the false story of election fraud and potentially provide circumstantial evidence of conspiracy to defraud? I think so.

I'll wait to see what evidence they have regarding the lunge to determine whether they should have included it. Limited statements from confidential or anonymous sources don't do much for me, especially when the sources may have their own agendas and may be influenced by Trump's team. Ultimately, disputing Hutchinson may hurt them if their testimony ultimately focuses attention on how intent Trump was to join the insurrectionists and if those same witnesses admit that Trump didn't want the insurrectionists to be deprived of their weapons.

IMO, most people who are going to use the steering wheel testimony to deny everything Hutchinson said weren't going to believe her anyway and/or have a clear agenda to mislead the American public.

Allskate

Trump continues to attack Barr in order to continue with the Big Lie:

Quickly responding to the first Jan. 6 hearing on June 10, during which portions of Barr’s testimony were shown, Trump called him “a coward” and a “weak and frightened Attorney General.”

Three days later, with Barr’s comments dominating news coverage, Trump used a different phrase to describe his former AG, referring to him as a RINO, which stands for Republican in name only.

I have no sympathy for Barr. Barr misled the American public regarding the Mueller Report and was willing to be a scumbag and do the wrong things up until the election results showed that Trump was not going to continue to be president and be able to benefit Barr. Barr didn't even stick around.

caseyedwards

@Vash01 Don't be so sure. Trump is under suspicion for a whole lot of other things (e.g. filing misleading tax returns) in addition to committing treason. If he doesn't end up in prison for this, there's many other things he could end up in prison for.
The clock is actually ticking! If they do not hurry up they could indict they republican nominee for president which may cause republicans to not have a candidate in 2024. Big controversy if that happens. Not trump being arrested. Trump being arrested leaving republicans without a candidate

Meoima

The clock is actually ticking! If they do not hurry up they could indict they republican nominee for president which may cause republicans to not have a candidate in 2024. Big controversy if that happens. Not trump being arrested. Trump being arrested leaving republicans without a candidate
Aren't they having the new guy which Musk is supportive or so?

Sparks

Which goes back to Cassidy. She stated she didn't tell everything because the committee didn't ask enough questions.
She got a better attorney and then she was able to tell more info.
On another note, the steering wheel stuff really isn't THAT important.
It's like a you can't see the forest for the trees thing. 👀

Allskate

On another note, the steering wheel stuff really isn't THAT important.
It's like a you can't see the forest for the trees thing. 👀
Or, see the forest, worry about the forest, so point to a tree or branch or leaf. Trump and Trumpsters are going to do that.

I'm pretty sure that the committee knows what's important, and I seriously doubt that their questioning of Secret Service agents will be focused, much less limited, to the steering wheel. Information sought undoubtedly includes not only bias and potential improper influence by Trump team members, but also issues relating to what Trump knew about the real election results and what his plans and intent were concerning the insurrection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information