2022–23 Canadian Men: News and Updates

screech

Roman missed his personal best score by just 0.04 points. He scored 89.57 here. Congrats to him. Must be a big relief after last year's Nebelhorn.
Never thought I'd see the day Keegan would fall on his (spectacular) Russian split. Good recovery to get into the combo, but managing just a double toe at the end. And only a level 2 on his final combination spin? That's usually an area where he seriously excels. I also kind of wish his shirt was more purple.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN
Scores thus far in 2022-23 season

Keegan Messing 245 (intl)
Conrad Orzel 225
Roman Sadovsky 222 (intl)
Stephen Gogolev 208 (intl)
Wesley Chiu 206
Matthew Newnham 191
Gabriel Blumenthal 189
Beres Clements 187
Bruce Waddell 186
Aleksa Rakic 182 (intl)
Corey Circelli 182 (intl)
Jack Dushenski 182
Marek Ramilison 181

clairecloutier

An update on Roman Sadovsky:

In which Romsky tells us why we saw "Chasing Cars" and the pink shirt again at Nebelhorn. :lol:

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I tried to convince the woman sitting next to me at Skate Canada to join FSU. If you were sitting in section 16 and gave an enthusiastic standing ovation to Stephen Gogolev, hello!

(I figure this would be the most logical thread for her to end up in. We'll see if I'm any good at recruiting. :lol: )

screech

I've had "Grace Kelly" stuck in my head since Friday. DAMN YOU MIKA!
Great free skate for Keegan. One of the best he's had in a long time. No idea how he stayed on one foot for the triple axel though.

If I didn't know he was skating through the rest of the season, I'd have said this felt like a farewell skate, with how he was acknowledging the crowd during his bows after the free. Maybe it's his farewell skate in Canada, since I won't be surprised if he skips Canadians (and gets a bye to Worlds), if that's when the baby is due.

Skate Talker

Well all the commentators mentioned this will be his last Skate Canada International and therefore his last international competition in Canada, hence the "final farewell" attitude. He and his wife are expecting his second child in January at the same time as nationals and it was mentioned that will be a challenge for him but no-one was suggesting he is actually planning now to give it a miss.

Yyzskater

You have to wonder what needs to happen for Roman to make a change, he is incapable of handling any kind of competition pressure and today's meltdown was one we all saw coming. It's time for him to make a change.
I concur. My heart goes out to him for continuing to put it out there and not being able to get things to click when he has all the goods. His current coaching team can't seem to help him get over this mental obstacle.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I love Roman's skating and think he is very special but gosh I wish he'd change coaches or something... I am sure he has a sports psychologist but it's frustrating (I know I know I should be used to it as a Sasha fan :shuffle:) seeing him have issues again and again. I can't imagine how disheartening it is for him too.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The Canadian federation, media and hungry fans, can't help. Looking for the 'next one', particularly when Canadian men have such a strong history on the international scene, must put tremendous expectations on athletes rising through the ranks.

Further to Roman's supposed inability to handle competition pressure, being that tall can't help. Jumps are so much harder to save if they're even slightly off.

A skater's centre of gravity is key to landing the big tricks. That's probably why shorter skaters, particularly from Eastern backgrounds, dominate the men's field and have multiple quads in their reportoire.

I wonder how many skaters, who crumble again and again, were finally able to turn it around. Paul Wylie and Kaitlyn Osmond come to mind.

Too bad Katarina Witt doesn't coach. She was a machine, and always seemed to put it together when it counted.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You have to wonder what needs to happen for Roman to make a change, he is incapable of handling any kind of competition pressure and today's meltdown was one we all saw coming. It's time for him to make a change.
I love Roman's skating and think he is very special but gosh I wish he'd change coaches or something... I am sure he has a sports psychologist but it's frustrating (I know I know I should be used to it as a Sasha fan :shuffle:) seeing him have issues again and again. I can't imagine how disheartening it is for him too.
I concur. My heart goes out to him for continuing to put it out there and not being able to get things to click when he has all the goods. His current coaching team can't seem to help him get over this mental obstacle.
I'm reminded of a brief interview with Jirina Ribbins, who said that while Katarina Witt may not have been the most talented skater of her generation, she was the most competitive, and knew exactly what it took to win.

Carol Burnett in her autobiography, One More Time, was told on the very first day of school at UCLA, that acting was an extremely tough profession. Give yourselves five years to make it after graduation, (and her professor wasn't talking about fame or fortune, but just the ability to make a decent living), or get out and find something else.

I wonder if their comes a point when an athlete has to decide if all the years of training and money chasing their dreams, are really worth it.

That's why there are several coaches I know and love in Australia, who steer their students into training towards auditioning and working for ice shows like Disney or Holiday On Ice, more than the rigors of competition. They recognise that the passion for performance far exceeds anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information