The Loena Hendrickx appreciation thread

SkateFanBerlin

Tweeted by a Belgian sport journalist after Loena became the first Belgian female figure skater to ever medal at a Grand Prix :): https://twitter.com/jonas_creteur/status/1457255353964548096

Russian interview by Ekaterina Efimova on Loena's 22nd birthday (Nov. 5) in Torino:

English translation here: https://fs-gossips.com/loena-hendri...d-by-this-age-you-become-a-woman-not-a-child/
Excerpts:
Journalist keep repeating that lady figure skaters peak at 15/16. This is not true. The jumps are easier then - low fat and lighter (less bone density). But power, skating skills, other elements - spins, steps - take years. And for some skaters like Tuk and Osmond jumps remain great.

Seerek

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Scott512

Journalist keep repeating that lady figure skaters peak at 15/16. This is not true. The jumps are easier then - low fat and lighter (less bone density). But power, skating skills, other elements - spins, steps - take years. And for some skaters like Tuk and Osmond jumps remain great.
It's interesting that Hendricxs has reached her peak in her early twenties. I hope this is it good example for those girls who don't fulfill their potential as a teenager but still keep plugging away developing as a figure skater.

Like you said a lot of this like the skillset Loena has takes many years to develop.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Belgium's Loena Hendrickx feels motivated for more (9 March 2022): https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...bel-feels-motivated-for-more?templateParam=15
The Belgian Champion was invited to the shows of “Art on Ice” in Switzerland following the Olympic Games and love that experience, but now she is back to work. “I’m preparing myself for Worlds at my home rinks in Tilburg and Eindhoven both in the Netherlands as well as in Deurne in Belgium,” she shared. However, right now her training sessions are limited after she injured her groin a few days ago.
Following the World Championships, Loena is planning for a nice vacation to rest her body and mind. Her favorite place for a vacation is “somewhere where it is warm, with sun and a beach, the sea – everything to relax.”

Scott512

Well done Loena. She really is a beautiful and spectacular skater and performer. But she was injured coming into the world championships and I hope that injury does not nag her next season. A torn groin is a tricky injury especially for a figure skater where using your legs is 100% of the job.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
She has such beautiful and complete skating. It is so satisfying to see.
Exactly, you said best she is a complete skater, the best kind. Her FD this year was my favorite this year, everything fit: the dress, the make up, the attitude and of course the skating. Well done to her for hanging on to this medal while injured.

Sonata

So Loena Hendrickx becomes the first Belgian woman to medal at worlds and won the 4th ever medal for Belgium since 1948, but all the ISU can say about her on Instagram is that she “turned in another exciting performance to Oriental music”.

Yet they have the space to mention Sakamoto being the first Japanese world champion in 8 years and Alysa Liu winning the first medal for the US since 2016. And no mention of the type of music they chose. All right then.

Last edited:

Seerek

Across all the disciplines at Worlds, Loena salvaged the entire week for me, and the only medalist I can honestly say that I was excited for. Congrats!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Wow. Even her free skate the seasons is a dream. Her movement with her arms is more fluid and expressive than ever before especially after she lands a jump. I love that we’re watching a woman on the ice and not a girl. And I love love love that she never chooses a warhorse. She gives us interesting and fresh music .... it makes me want to watch. I know I’m not gonna see Loena choose come what May, like other skaters have done so far this season already.

If I had one critique I love the idea of a white dress for this program and I love her shoulder detail. I just wish it wasn’t showing her midriff and I wish the train of the dress was longer like an Irina dress or a Peggy dress or even Alysas Czisny dress, I wish we didn’t see the midriff.

Her and Kaori are the ones I’m watching this season For their power and PCS marks. And also my Amber.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love Loena this season! She finally has TWO great programs in one season (Caruso ruined it for me last year…hate it).
Versatility this year - sassy Latin SP and angelic-lyrical LP/FP. Everything screams UBER-GLAMOROUS HOLIDAY ON ICE SHOWGIRL circa-1950s…superimpose her image on any of the gorgeous souvenir programs of that era…such as this one:

Or this

Or this - especially this

livetoskate

Do you have a video of that part? The video I posted does not show any of that
No, sorry, I only saw it live on Peacock. It was a really little cake in a box. Mae Berenice went over to the KnC to hug & congratulate Loena & gave her the box. They didn't show a close up of the cake. Then Mae led the audience in singing Happy Birthday. Btw what languages does Loena speak? Is French her native language?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information