Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

3T3T

I thought it was a really entertaining contest. Italy were in control all the way and had a comfortable 3.999 point victory. Delighted to see Germany medal, a great reaction from the audience. Kim Bui got a wonderful ovation after she finished her floor. I watched on BBC and liked the commentary.

I felt the way the AA was handled was a bit of a downgrade. I didn’t realise it was held in the venue where Olga Korbut and co performed in 1972.

Would the Italians have beaten the Russians if they were present? They seemed a very strong team where the 3 up 3 format works for them.

Hedwig

Antique member
I would rather not have the team quali than not have the AA. (Though not sure how to determine the finalists then 😂)
But no real AA was really bad.

I think the Italians would have beaten the Russians if they did not suddenly start to develop nerves of steel. But they always made mistakes in the last 10-15 years. And the Italians were very strong- not just1-2 gymnasts but all five of them.

millyskate

ETA:
Removed the bit about the Gadirova's story as there seem to be several versions out there.

With regards to the competition, Seitz was amazing on UB -so clean - and the German team did great.
The Italian gymnasts were very strong and were so well prepared. They did fantastically well.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
Oh pity. Would have liked to read it. As well as a summary about van Pol and Wevers story.

Hedwig

Antique member

Hedwig

Antique member
they say that two stretchers had to be used and both gymnasts had to be carried out. No further info on both gymnasts so far.

Hedwig

Antique member
we can see that the remeasured and reattached the vault table. this is good that they did that.

and the three gymnasts that are still to vault get an extra warm-up

millyskate

she looked flabbergasted
For some reason vault judges always lowball British girls on vault but not on other pieces.
But this just feels plain unfair in line with normal judging practices. I've seen vaults far worse not get downgraded.
Apparently no inquiry is being submitted either so poor Jessica is getting no support from her own delegation either...

Hedwig

Antique member
For some reason vault judges always lowball British girls on vault but not on other pieces.
But this just feels plain unfair in line with normal judging practices. I've seen vaults far worse not get downgraded.
Apparently no inquiry is being submitted either so poor Jessica is getting no support from her own delegation either...
I wondered about that. They put in an enquiry for Kinsella after all when it did not matter at all.

Hedwig

Antique member
I read that the Bulgarian gymnast got an IV still on site and that why it took so long to carry her off. What kind of injury needs an instant IV? THat sounds so scary.

Hedwig

Antique member
Happy for Ellie to win but these event finals are really hard on the nerves! We are now 2 for 2 for an injured gymnast winning a medal.
I am happy if we stop this trend NOW and no more injuries!

Hedwig

Antique member
Interview - Ellie said that it is incredible - she was on the international competition scene since 2009 and so often she was in bar finals and managed to get 4th or 5th - she got a bronce at Europeans and Worlds but a gold is something else.

Hedwig

Antique member
what a world to wake up to - Germany third in team and two gold medals in the event finals??!!!

I still remember my first Olympics in 1992 where the German team finished 9th and was so far away from the top.

Hedwig

Antique member
Now we had a bronce medal for France in three of the four finals. I wonder if Morgane can make it a four out of four in the floor finals?

airgelaal

Diana Varinska 🇺🇦 and Anastasia Bachynska🇺🇦 are retired. A sad period for Ukrainian women's gymnastics 😭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information