Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillian

If you are reading Russian skating thread, it is too much to hope for some news. All you will find here is:

1. Mocking Russian skaters, because clearly the war is their fault.

Literally nobody has said this, but sure.

2. Mocking Tutberidze, because she dares to have successful skaters, the bitch.

We’re not mocking her, we’re calling her out for child abuse, but congrats again for being complicit in child abuse by continuing to publicly defend her! Weird hobby, but you do you.

3. Thorough analysis of how Russians are not missed on international competitions, because at least other countries can earn some medals in ladies. Because this is clearly not about who is better at skating, it is about ensuring that the weaker skaters can have their turn at winning a medal.

They’re not better skaters, they’re just (kind of) doing more rotations in the air because they’re being drugged and abused, and then getting overmarked for it. It’s abundantly clear that you don’t personally have any interest in skating, but some of us do and are looking forward to seeing more of it.

starrynight

I view the war as Russia issue and It doesn’t impact my views on the individual Tutberidze girls as people or athletes. I doubt these girls have been given much opportunity to understand the world outside their rink anyway.

However, it is the flagrant disregard for clean sport that means Russia and in particular the Tutberidze team cannot return to competition.

They haven’t just swept the doping under the carpet - they are proud of it. They’ve fashioned Valieva into a hero and ensured that they are still untouchable even with a positive doping test. They are laughing at the rest of the world that they can dope and get away with it. There can never be any assurance now any of her athletes are clean. It’s not possible for them to brag about superhuman physical feats of their athletes when we now know a doping program is likely in place.

This attitude would make a joke of international competition.

Bigbird

If you are reading Russian skating thread, it is too much to hope for some news. All you will find here is:

3. Thorough analysis of how Russians are not missed on international competitions, because at least other countries can earn some medals in ladies. Because this is clearly not about who is better at skating, it is about ensuring that the weaker skaters can have their turn at winning a medal.
4. ‘Helpful’ suggestions about how to make the sports easier to give other countries a chance to catch up. Why not abandoning the lifts and throws and twists and death spirals, so that any two single skaters can do pairs? That would sort out the problems with not having enough pairs.
Also the issue of tainted reputation due to institutionalized doping. Further the war was just a lame excuse for the ISU. They've failed to sanction Russia for years.

IMHO the real loss to world championships were the Chinese pairs. The other countries excluding the ROC have been somewhat average to weak for the last quad.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
This attitude would make a joke of international competition.
Sadly, Russia and Tutberidze have been making a joke of international competition since at least PyeongChang.

State-sponsored doping? Check.
Team Tutberidze doping via Dr. Shvetsky? Check.
Atrocious, repetitive choreography? Check.
Child abuse? Check.
Painful Olympic meltdowns? Check.

The sad part is the ISU and IOC let Russia get away with this for years. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic things will improve once the international ban is lifted.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, it's instead about :grandpa:

I thought you only "joked" about Asian skaters in ice rinks, but it's good to see you have a steady profession as a comedienne on here, too.
I have no idea what you are talking about, me joking about Asian skaters in ice rinks?

It must be really exhausting being you…trying so hard to be funny and constantly coming short.

barbarafan

“Athletes can say to ISU: ‘We don’t want to compete without Russians.’ opinion of State Duma Deputy Svetlana Zhurova​

"After all these sobbig from Eteri, Tarasova and company we thought nothing would surprise us. But wait a second…Here we go. A comment from State Duma Deputy Svetlana Zhurova."
“It is unlikely that ISU will take this measure (proposed by Eteri Tutberidze not to gove rating and titles in the absence of Russian skaters – ed.), but you can turn to athletes, say: “Yes, we don’t want to compete without Russians.”

She says "you can call for support to allow Russians"

https://fs-gossips.com/athletes-can...aKVegwtUM180zkEr0FKNsBTpnp-REvukPhjPlpTpjmPMA

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rofl:
Much more likely that the skaters from other countries will not step on the ice if a Russian skater goes on the ice. Ukrainian skaters should never have to have a choice between not skating or being on the same ice as Russians prancing around with blindfolds and ear plugs. There are many wonderful Russians, many of who have been arrested, beaten and jailed for speaking the truth. Are there any skaters who are for the Ukrainians. How would the ISU know? Putin runs the Russian skating federation along with everything else in Russia & to cross him could mean their death & those of their families. Instead of feeding them drugs he will be feeding them poison.

Vagabond

If you are reading Russian skating thread, it is too much to hope for some news.
The only news that would be worth reading in this thread is that Russia has sued for peace and asked the ISU and WADA to do what they will to conduct a thorough investigation of :grandpa: and to mete out appropriate punishments.

Incidentally, the problem with Eteri Tutberidze is not that he skaters are successful. Rather, it is that she dopes and abuses them. If they did poorly, we would still berate her for doping and abusing her skaters. If she had any. :shuffle:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub

4. ‘Helpful’ suggestions about how to make the sports easier to give other countries a chance to catch up. Why not abandoning the lifts and throws and twists and death spirals, so that any two single skaters can do pairs? That would sort out the problems with not having enough pairs.
I don't miss Russian women on the international scene precisely because I like to see the best skaters win and that hasn't been the norm since Yuna Kim's second Olympic gold was stolen from her. 2022 should have been Kaori Sakamoto's second consecutive world title BTW.

Talent is not rewarded in the women's field domestically either, with a phenom like Kostornaia never receiving the programs she deserved, becoming the scapegoat of Russian figure skating (much like Kolyada, by far the most talented man in Russia, has been targeted by Rusfed and the Russian commentariat for years) and being pushed out of the sport to soothe her narcissistic coaches' egos.

On My Own

I don't miss Russian women on the international scene precisely because I like to see the best skaters win and that hasn't been the norm since Yuna Kim's second Olympic gold was stolen from her.
Oh don't bother. She was "laughing and joking" about how "it must have come as a real shock to [Yuna]" to be scored accurately "for once in her life". Much like we're now laughing and joking at @hanca being unable to tell good skating apart from :grandpa: which really must come as a real shock to her. And of course, for Russia to be treated exactly the way it deserves to be in sports, for once.

May I suggest Goldenskate for fans of Russian skating? The moderators were completely unwilling to do anything about Eteri and Plushenko cultists last I checked - I'm sure this is still the case.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I don't miss Russian women on the international scene precisely because I like to see the best skaters win and that hasn't been the norm since Yuna Kim's second Olympic gold was stolen from her. 2022 should have been Kaori Sakamoto's second consecutive world title BTW.
KAORI SAKAMOTO IS A 2 TIME WORLD CHAMPION AND THE CURRENT REIGNING OLYMPIC CHAMPION...

...of my heart. She does have one of those titles though and it's completely legit and deserved no matter what chaos was going around her.

karmena

Oh don't bother. She was "laughing and joking" about how "it must have come as a real shock to [Yuna]" to be scored accurately "for once in her life". Much like we're now laughing and joking at @hanca being unable to tell good skating apart from :grandpa: which really must come as a real shock to her. And of course, for Russia to be treated exactly the way it deserves to be in sports, for once.

May I suggest Goldenskate for fans of Russian skating? The moderators were completely unwilling to do anything about Eteri and Plushenko cultists last I checked - I'm sure this is still the ca

True. Golden skate seems to be owned or invaded by soviet spirit Russians, and a long time ago.

Last edited:

antmanb

I don't miss Russian women on the international scene precisely because I like to see the best skaters win and that hasn't been the norm since Yuna Kim's second Olympic gold was stolen from her.
:rolleyes: get a fcuking grip!

Yuna "six triples" Kim lost that gold medal for herself at a point she clearly no longer wanted to be skating but this horse has been beaten to death.

D

Deleted member 221

:rolleyes: get a fcuking grip!

Yuna "six triples" Kim lost that gold medal for herself at a point she clearly no longer wanted to be skating but this horse has been beaten to death.

Amen to this. She couldn't double axel her way to gold like she did in 2010. I'm not sure how dominant Kim would've been if the rule change limiting double axels had been in place during her peak years. She'd have been forced to either try a triple loop, which she never really mastered, or she'd have been limited to one triple-triple combination.

soogar

Amen to this. She couldn't double axel her way to gold like she did in 2010. I'm not sure how dominant Kim would've been if the rule change limiting double axels had been in place during her peak years. She'd have been forced to either try a triple loop, which she never really mastered, or she'd have been limited to one triple-triple combination.
I actually never really understood how Yuna beat Mao and her triple axels in 2006. But this is the Russian thread.

Now that China is trying to seal off Taiwan, will there be the same support to ban their skaters from events?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I actually never really understood how Yuna beat Mao and her triple axels in 2006. But this is the Russian thread.

Now that China is trying to seal off Taiwan, will there be the same support to ban their skaters from events?

If so, hope so. But does China have the equivalent of an Eteri Witch?

Winnipeg

So, does anyone know the outcome of the Russian Oly team event given that one skater was found with an illicit substance?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Mean while Russian media: Eteri flew to the US 3 times!!
Eteri: nope, I'm here in Khrustalny
russian media: we know better!!! we are serious journalists! take us seriously!!
Yagudin: I pooped 3 times, anyone wants to publish an article about it?
Russian media: but... but.... but....ok then, we'll publish an article om Rodnina then! She is still a news maker!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Mean while Russian media: Eteri flew to the US 3 times!!
Eteri: nope, I'm here in Khrustalny
russian media: we know better!!! we are serious journalists! take us seriously!!
Yagudin: I pooped 3 times, anyone wants to publish an article about it?
Russian media: but... but.... but....ok then, we'll publish an article om Rodnina then! She is still a news maker!
LOL - why does it matter if she flew to the US 3 times this spring? She's back in Moscow now and isn't that the most important thing?

caseyedwards

IJS is brainless addition. Triple lutz triple toe worth more because double toe worth nothing.

It didn’t help mao did a solo triple toe. That’s it. That was actually a jump in her program. Can you believe it? Of course you can because she had no lutz. She did have two triple axels. One was in combo with a double toe. Double toe worth nothing.

Sylvia

TBD
Stanislava Konstantinova retired
In her interview with RIA Novosti Sport (Aug. 5) she says she has "suspended her career":
What is your current status anyway?
- Last summer, I signed a transfer to Moskvich to train with Victoria Butsaeva. Should have played for Moscow. Now I don’t train, and it’s hard to even say what status I have. I have not written a statement about the end of my sports career in the FFKKR and have not yet made a final decision for myself. We talked with Victoria Evgenievna and came to the conclusion that we need to take a break. I missed almost all of last season.
It was very difficult to recover from the coronavirus, then injuries pursued, old sores aggravated. I just did not see the motivation to continue my career and decided to suspend it. Now you need to take care of your health, study, just reboot. When what you love is no longer loved, you need to change something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information