2022 Westminster Dog Show

Sylvia

TBD
"The 146th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show will be held at Lyndhurst, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation
The 67-acre magnificently landscaped estate is on Route 9 in Tarrytown, New York, just 25 miles north of New York City."

TV (Fox Sports/FS1 in U.S. & Sportsnet in Canada) & Streaming coverage:

WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW 2022: TOP MOMENTS AND WINNERS FROM TUESDAY: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/w...how-2022-top-moments-and-winners-from-tuesday

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22, 2022 (final day)
  • Breed Judging
    • Judging of Sporting and Working breeds and Junior Showmanship Preliminaries
    • 8:00am – 4:30pm
  • Junior Showmanship Finals
    • 7:00pm-7:30pm
  • Group Judging
    • Judging of Sporting, Working, and Terrier Groups
    • 7:30pm – 11:00pm
  • Best in Show
The winning dogs across the seven Groups compete for the ultimate prize. From those seven Reserve Best in Show is awarded as a runner up, followed by the Best in Show selection.

All times EDT

Susan1

"The 146th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show will be held at Lyndhurst, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation
The 67-acre magnificently landscaped estate is on Route 9 in Tarrytown, New York, just 25 miles north of New York City."

TV (Fox Sports/FS1 in U.S. & Sportsnet in Canada) & Streaming coverage:

WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW 2022: TOP MOMENTS AND WINNERS FROM TUESDAY: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/w...how-2022-top-moments-and-winners-from-tuesday

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22, 2022 (final day)
  • Breed Judging
    • Judging of Sporting and Working breeds and Junior Showmanship Preliminaries
    • 8:00am – 4:30pm
  • Junior Showmanship Finals
    • 7:00pm-7:30pm
  • Group Judging
    • Judging of Sporting, Working, and Terrier Groups
    • 7:30pm – 11:00pm
  • Best in Show
The winning dogs across the seven Groups compete for the ultimate prize. From those seven Reserve Best in Show is awarded as a runner up, followed by the Best in Show selection.

All times EDT
What about Hounds? Those are my favorite.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Don’t they usually do this in February?
They moved the event from Madison Square Garden to Lyndhurst, an estate outside NYC last year for health reasons. Although the group and best in show judging is done inside, most of the breed judging is done in 6 outdoor rings over 3 days and the tent where the dogs and people wait is also outdoors. There's not enough indoor space to have that many events running concurrently. and it's probably safer to do most of the event outdoors anyway. The event used to be in February, but I assume that due to weather they can't do it in Feb in NY if a lot of the events have to be outdoors.

Susan1

They've shown the winner on CNN a couple times today. If I'm not spoiling anybody - a Bloodhound (hound!) with the unfortunate name of Trumpet. First time a Bloodhound has ever won. I see that there are various reruns on FS2. If I knew which one Hounds were in, I'd record it.

Sylvia

TBD
I see that there are various reruns on FS2. If I knew which one Hounds were in, I'd record it.
Record Day 1 (Hounds were the first group to be judged).

Link to Fox Sports' video playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSoN6Th-EepPs5XYFcgW5CcR7wBrWP8St

Remarkably, Trumpet only began competing in dog shows in January 2022. Out of more than 3,000 canines who entered into Westminster this year, he and six other group winners competed for the top dog title. While the audience seemed to favor Striker the Samoyed, it was Winston the French Bulldog who took home Best in Show Reserve, essentially second place. This is crazy cool because a Frenchie has never made it this far before! Last year a French Bulldog won Best of Group (they are Non-Sporting pups). Could 2023 be their year?
The other dogs competing against Trumpet were River the German Shepherd, Belle the English Setter, MM the Lakeland Terrier and Hollywood the Maltese.

Last edited:

Susan1

Record Day 1 (Hounds were the first group to be judged).

Thanks! There are different listings (same channel). One has Day 1 and Day 2 of Best in Show. So I looked at the other one. Days 1, 2 and 3 of Best of Breeds. I recorded that Day 1 on Wednesday, June 29 at 6 a.m.

The end of Best in Show Day 2 was just on. Here I go again, but I hate the way German Shepherd's back haunches go down. It always looks like they are afraid someone is going to hit them, and they are not sure if they should sit or not. I KNOW!!!!! We had this discussion before. They are bred that way. It's just the first thing I saw when I turned on the t.v.
🐕‍🦺

That ^ just reminded me - I ran over to Kroger this morning and when I was coming out, there was a lady going in with a Chihuahua on a leash that had a service dog harness on. I hope she was getting one of those carts you ride in. You can't be walking a Chihuahua around the store with all those carts. Maybe it was an emotional support dog? I told it to be careful.

Vagabond

Samoyeds spend a lot of time grooming themselves, but frequent brushing is essential. The biggest issue with Samoyeds is that they need to be part of the family "pack" at all times. Allowing them to curl up and sleep at someone's feet is a good but not foolproof method.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I had my first Samoyed for 15 years. I lasted through the first Lockdown without one and then travelled back to the mainland and got a little Samoyed bear cub :swoon: He’s 2 now.

I have a 10 year old Japanese Spitz too. People ask if she’s the Samoyed’s puppy all the time :shuffle:

Japanfan

Here I go again, but I hate the way German Shepherd's back haunches go down. It always looks like they are afraid someone is going to hit them, and they are not sure if they should sit or not. I KNOW!!!!! We had this discussion before. They are bred that way. It's just the first thing I saw when I turned on the t.v.
It's terrible that they are bred that way. I don't understand why. It is cruel IMO. And really increases the chances of hip problems - and the GSD is already prone to hip dysplasia.

Judy

It's terrible that they are bred that way. I don't understand why. It is cruel IMO. And really increases the chances of hip problems - and the GSD is already prone to hip dysplasia.
Not all the German shepherds are bred that way though. My neighbour had a beautiful German shepherd that was the normal way and now she has a two year old white German shepherd. Both of them were and are beautiful dogs.

Susan1

Not all the German shepherds are bred that way though. My neighbour had a beautiful German shepherd that was the normal way and now she has a two year old white German shepherd. Both of them were and are beautiful dogs.
Well, isn't it a show dog standard? I've known German Shepherds in real life too that weren't "built" that way either.

I've said this before - me, skinny 14 year old babysitter, standing in the doorway of an apartment complex, calling into the dark for Mr. Big, who got out. hee hee hee The neighbors all knew him and would point him out or bring him back, but still makes me laugh today. I don't remember the kids' names (a boy and a girl), but I can still see that like it was yesterday.

Last edited:

Judy

Well, isn't it a show dog standard? I've known German Shepherds in real life too that weren't "built" that way either.

I've said this before - me, skinny 14 year old babysitter, standing in the doorway of an apartment complex, calling into the dark for Mr. Big, who got out. hee hee hee The neighbors all knew him and would point him out or bring him back, but still makes me laugh today. I don't remember the kids' names (a boy and a girl), but I can still see that like it was yesterday.
I don’t know anybody who does dog shows actually but I would think both are acceptable?

Judy

I googled, and found that the sloped back is a show standard. Again, I think it is a cruel practice.
I don’t disagree. If you look at daschunds and the adorable bull dogs … daschunds with extreme back problems and bull dogs with breathing … 😔.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information