Michelle Kwan is nominated as ambassador to Belize

D

Deleted member 1204

And its nice place to raise a child.
Having spent a decent amount of time in Belize, I'm not sure I agree with this. In many ways, Belize is still quite third world. There are some nicer tourist areas but other than that, it is a poor country with crumbling infrastructure and corrupt government. There is almost no healthcare available and the schools are not very good. I wouldn't walk around Belize City after dark. I don't know if the ambassador position requires her to physically live there; visiting for a week while on vacation is very different from living there full time.

VGThuy

Having spent a decent amount of time in Belize, I'm not sure I agree with this. In many ways, Belize is still quite third world. There are some nicer tourist areas but other than that, it is a poor country with crumbling infrastructure and corrupt government. There is almost no healthcare available and the schools are not very good. I wouldn't walk around Belize City after dark. I don't know if the ambassador position requires her to physically live there; visiting for a week while on vacation is very different from living there full time.
Sounds like New Orleans.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
But expats and diplomats usually have their own healthcare, I.e. one expensive hospital that only they and a few rich natives can afford.

My husband‘S ex-wife was recently Israel ambassador to a Baltic country (with better healthcare than Belize.) the diplomats had their own doctors and private hospital and an American School for their kids. They live in a bubble.

D

Deleted member 1204

But expats and diplomats usually have their own healthcare, I.e. one expensive hospital that only they and a few rich natives can afford.
Trust me - there is no expensive hospital. For any serious medical issues, people go to Mexico or the US.

flyushka

When you're in the foreign service, and especially when you're the top diplomat in country aka the ambassador, the quality of life is very high and pretty much like living in the US unless you're in one of a handful of hardship posts. Belize is a pretty desirable landing spot and it's only for a few years. You're given a very nice house often with a pool, they'll ship your car and generally will be very well taken care of. Some countries have more restricted movement than others but the ambassador will have a security detail and shouldn't be too restricted from going out and about and enjoying Belize as it's pretty safe with lots of fun things to do. The foreign service has their own medical staff and a well established system for evacuation if something is needed beyond what can be handled in country, and the US is very close by. There's pretty generous leave to go back to the US and some time on the job is spent in DC as well. When traveling outside the capital city, the host country typically rolls out the red carpet for the US ambassador. I've not been in the foreign service myself but have spent time with FSOs and career foreign service ambassadors in some fairly tough postings, seen their houses and heard some of their stories. She'll be fine and it'll probably be a really cool experience.

D

Deleted member 1204

When you're in the foreign service, and especially when you're the top diplomat in country aka the ambassador, the quality of life is very high and pretty much like living in the US unless you're in one of a handful of hardship posts. Belize is a pretty desirable landing spot
LOL well, you're delusional, but hey whatever.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Sylvia

TBD
Nominations Hearing on May 18, 2022:
Her testimony (2 pages; read starting at the 51-min. mark of the video): https://www.foreign.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/051822_Kwan_Testimony3.pdf

Video replay of yesterday's hearing (also embedded on the Hearing page): https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/watch?hearingid=CF93CE37-5056-A066-6057-2B8E9169A44F
Timestamps:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information