ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
For some federations, there seems to be a big gap between what the members want and how the federation votes at ISU council meetings. Just saying.

Apologies if I’ve missed the answer, but does anyone know if Russian coaches can participate? I’ve seen skaters and officials specifically talked about but nothing about coaches. Can Eteri go with Morisi?

skatingguy

decently
Apologies if I’ve missed the answer, but does anyone know if Russian coaches can participate? I’ve seen skaters and officials specifically talked about but nothing about coaches. Can Eteri go with Morisi?
France isn't going to grant visas to Russian nationals, so coaches could go if they can get an entry visas through a secondary passport if they have one.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It doesn’t surprise me that some people are angry about the FSU response. Some people need to be angry about something with their faves not skating but know how bad it would look if they said Russia should compete. So being angry at us for responding imperfectly to Russia not competing is the next best thing.

Last edited:

Andrea82

I will be interested to see how much difference it makes to not have Russian officials at worlds. No judges. No referees. No one on the technical panel. It will take a lot of work to make the necessary changes over the next 3 weeks. I wonder if or how the protocols may change.

Applying the "When appointing the members of the Technical Panel and the Referees for ISU Senior Championships, whenever possible, there shall be no appointments of Officials from ISU Members whose Skaters can reasonably be expected to place 1 – 5 in the respective discipline" criteria, there should have not been Russian officials in TP or as Referee at least in Women, Pair and Dance (and actually neither in Men as Kolyada was 5th last year).

Panels of Judges at ISU Championships have 13 people on site for the 9 slots. Russia was drawn for Men, Pair and ID. It will mean less turnover between Short and Free programs as the pool will be reduced to 12 and to 11 for Men as no Belarus judge allowed either. Maybe down to 11 also in Dance as Ukraine was drawn (Israel was drawn for Men, Pair and ID and 2 of their judges are usually based in Ukraine but I am not sure where they are now).

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Could you please clarify? I don't know the US system at all.
In order to be a coach at USFS events you have to be accredited by the USFS. That's why, for example, Patrice Lauzon is the official coach for the American teams that train at IAM because he is the coach that is USFS accredited.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Also, I am pretty sure she is not a US citizen. She was only in the US for 6 years. That's a tight timeline for citizenship. Even if she got married to a US citizen which I don't think she did.
She was here longer than that. She was in ice shows for only 6 years, but lived here longer. She was already in the US sometime before spring 95 because she was living across the street from the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City when it was bombed. Diana wasn’t born until 2003, and they didn’t move back to Russia until she was 3. That’s at least 11 years.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
She was here longer than that. She was in ice shows for only 6 years, but lived here longer. She was already in the US sometime before spring 95 because she was living across the street from the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City when it was bombed.

IIRC she was touring with a Russian ice show that was staying in a hotel across the street from the federal building. I don't think she was living in Oklahoma City.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
IIRC she was touring with a Russian ice show that was staying in a hotel across the street from the federal building. I don't think she was living in Omaha.
Oklahoma City.

Regardless, the point is she was in the US over a decade.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I would guess she could since she’d have accreditation as a Georgian federation coach.
Because a Worlds without EteriCam (TM) just isn’t Worlds!

By the way, someone mentioned that as a Russian she might not be allowed to enter France as coach of Morisi…but maybe she’ll apply as a US citizen?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just because Eteri lived in the US and her daughter was born here does NOT mean she has US citizenship. It just means she had a green card for a long time. I would sooner assume she has Georgian citizenship based on her last name than that she has US citizenship based on how long she lived here.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oklahoma City.

Regardless, the point is she was in the US over a decade.
But there is nothing I have been able to find that says she has US citizenship. Also, it looks like she was here during two periods and that would make her have to start over.

Could you please clarify? I don't know the US system at all.
PSA = Professional Skaters Association. They and USFS (US Figure Skating) have an agreement that if one bans a coach, the other honors the ban.

ISI is International Skating Institute. They are an org for recreational skaters. Many rinks use ISI for their beginner programs and they hold ISI competitions. They accredit coaches too, I think. Rinks are members so maybe they let the rinks do it though.

Between these 3 orgs and SafeSport, I don't think Eteri would have much business here. Not enough to live on. IMO.

Trillian

I would sooner assume she has Georgian citizenship based on her last name than that she has US citizenship based on how long she lived here.

If she doesn’t already have Georgian citizenship, she could theoretically get it. From a quick skim of Wikipedia, it looks like the general policy is that citizenship can be granted by decree anytime it’s considered to be in the “national interest,” and ethnic Georgians born elsewhere would typically qualify. That said, how quickly that happens and whether the usual standards would apply right now… who knows. But if she wanted a Georgian passport at some point in the past, she almost certainly could have gotten one.

jiejie

I have never seen any information that would lead me to believe Eteri has US citizenship. If somebody has a definitive source, please provide. I would not assume she has US citizenship just because she was in the US for an extended period of time.

But for argument's sake, let's say she is. Can you imagine the Russian blowback she'd get if she used a foreign passport (even worse, a US one!) to travel just to accompany a non-Russian skater to a competition?

I really don't think we'll see Eteri at Worlds. The cloud over her with the Valieva doping situation provides even more impetus to lay low right now. Assuming Morisi is going to Worlds, he is a big boy, knows what he is supposed to do, and can go coachless if he has to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information