Kolyada Withdrawn from Olympics, Replaced by Semenenko

Dobre

I haven't seen any clear, concise information that any of this shit works.
I don't know if this is behind a paywall or if it is still accessible because it is related to covid. Scroll down to the graphic entitled Rates for vaccinated and unvaccinated.

It's clear & concise.

I don't know if Misha is asymptomatic but after the 5-day quarantine if an athlete is still asymptomatic and testing negative why can't they play their sport?
If you read the thread, you will find that he is not. I believe the 5-day quarantine is a CDC guideline. Many countries have different rules and timelines, and many health experts support different guidelines. This being China, their rules for the athletes are probably--if anything--less strict than their rules for the general populace.

Scott512

I don't know if this is behind a paywall or if it is still accessible because it is related to *********. Scroll down to the graphic entitled Rates for vaccinated and unvaccinated.

It's clear & concise.

If you read the thread, you will find that he is not. I believe the 5-day quarantine is a CDC guideline. Many countries have different rules and timelines, and many health experts support different guidelines. This being China, their rules for the athletes are probably--if anything--less strict than their rules for the general populace.
Hopefully the covid problems will be leading up to the Olympics and once the skaters get to the bubble in Beijing they will be safer. But it is incredible that opportunities of a lifetime at the Olympics are going down the tubes for many athletes. It's not for torn ligaments or fractures or concussions but a virus. :(

Keep your fingers cross for all of them. The greatest opponent they have is something they can't see. Poor Misha.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I agree 100% and an American skier tested positive recently and I'm still sure she's going to the Olympics.

Whatever happened to resting for five days and then picking up life again?

I don't know if Misha is asymptomatic but after the 5-day quarantine if an athlete is still asymptomatic and testing negative why can't they play their sport?
depends if they test negative? Then 10 days here?

soogar

Looks like Team Eteri is headed to Krasnoyarsk today - from Anna's IG story -
Geez. Is it really that important to be acclimated? I would chance jet lag and not bring any of my athletes to the training camp. I hope Eteri secures private ice for her team. There are a lot of medals at stake with both her pair team and her girls. Even Morisi if everyone on Team Mishin is infected. I wonder if it is mandatory for the Russian team to be there.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Geez. Is it really that important to be acclimated? I would chance jet lag and not bring any of my athletes to the training camp. I hope Eteri secures private ice for her team. There are a lot of medals at stake with both her pair team and her girls. Even Morisi if everyone on Team Mishin is infected. I wonder if it is mandatory for the Russian team to be there.
It's not just acclimatisation, there is also the factor that there are no direct flights to Beijing from Moscow.

If S/B remain in Moscow, they will have to fly to Krasnoyarsk to join the team to fly to Beijing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Hopefully the ********* problems will be leading up to the Olympics and once the skaters get to the bubble in Beijing they will be safer. But it is incredible that opportunities of a lifetime at the Olympics are going down the tubes for many athletes. It's not for torn ligaments or fractures or concussions but a *****. :(

Keep your fingers cross for all of them. The greatest opponent they have is something they can't see. Poor Misha.
It is not just due to the C19, but due to the carelessness of their fed, and I dare say - of some coaches who refuse to wear masks correctly.

My heart goes out to MIsha.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's not just acclimatisation, there is also the factor that there are no direct flights to Beijing from Moscow.

If S/B remain in Moscow, they will have to fly to Krasnoyarsk to join the team to fly to Beijing.
Can they fly on a separate plane?

Sylvia

TBD
... an American skier tested positive recently and I'm still sure she's going to the Olympics.
Mikaela Shiffrin tested positive a month ago, followed covid protocols where she was in Europe, and just had her final race before the Olympics in Italy yesterday.

2 Hungarian male short track speed skaters and 2 Norwegian female cross country skiiers all tested positive this week before they were scheduled to fly to China - articles are linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-news-articles-etc.108615/page-5#post-6175734
They have to follow the rules of the country they're in so there's still hope the Hungarians in Hungary can join their squad, who left today, as long as they can provide 5 consecutive days of negative tests; but the Norwegians, who are in Italy, have to isolate for 10 days (until Feb. 3) so it doesn't look good for them.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sounds like this could happen to anyone. We know that even fully Vaxed people can still catch it. These are going to be the most unpredictable Olympics.

A related question - what if it is the new O- variant, will it show up as the C? It could still DQ the athlete of course.

pointbleu

Sounds like this could happen to anyone. We know that even fully Vaxed people can still catch it. These are going to be the most unpredictable Olympics.

A related question - what if it is the new O- variant, will it show up as the C? It could still DQ the athlete of course.
If you wear a mask and cut down your social contacts, you won’t get it. That’s simple like that. I’ve been working literally 10 inches from people for two years, wore my mask and never got nor any of my colleagues and were the most at risk. If you know you are going to the Olympics, you bubblewrap yourself so you make it there safe.

Carolla5501

I think it is all a crapshoot. I haven't seen any clear, concise information that any of this shit works. I just listened to 3 people who were vaccinated, boosted, and still got *********.
We believed them for so long (whomever the "they" were) and yet, here we are. They kept saying just do this, and around that corner up ahead....it will all be great. Not so much.
My family and friends joke that I am a ridiculous rule follower....and I am. I have met very few rules I did not follow. And now.............You have got to be kidding me. In the AM---------wear a mask------------noon--------get boosted-----------5:00 forget the booster----------10:00 who knows. So how in the world do you know what to do.

A few things for sure....I would not get on a plane. I would not go to China....you couldn't pay me enough. But who knows if that is a good stand. My sister just flew from SF to Hawaii....and all is well. Now, she is crazy about getting the *****.....but flying to Hawaii was ok......cause "Well, you have to live your life". Logic at work.
If anyone had THE true and correct answer, please let me know.

And how many of your friends were in the ICU on a ventilator after getting the vaccinations? Obviously it wasn’t Fatal since you’re still talking to them

This is not the place to debate but there’s a reason you get the vaccine.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If you wear a mask and cut down your social contacts, you won’t get it. That’s simple like that. I’ve been working literally 10 inches from people for two years, wore my mask and never got nor any of my colleagues and were the most at risk. If you know you are going to the Olympics, you bubblewrap yourself so you make it there safe.
Even the experts in the field have said that you Can get it, even if you do everything right - fully vaxed, mask, social distancing. I know a couple of friends on fb that caught it despite doing everything right. Even the K95 masks don't protect 100 percent. It is a scientifically known fact. The only saving Grace is you don't have to be in a hospital If you do those right things. Just yesterday a friend told me that her friend who was fully faxed, masked, etc., got a serious C. Some luck is involved here, or may be genes.

It doesn't mean one should not be careful. One has to do everything possible to protect oneself, but don't assume it cannot happen to them. Even Dr. Faucci said couple weeks ago that everyone will get the O Because it spreads extremely fast. I hope he is wrong in his prediction.

Scott512

I've been waiting for the results of my pcr test for 6 days. I think I'm negative but I don't know for sure. What these athletes are going through with their testing is 100 times tougher than what I'm waiting on the because their careers their hopes their dreams their lifes work are basically on the line from a nasal swab.

That's sad I still think if an athlete test positive but has no symptoms and then test negative in a couple days I think they should be allowed to continue to the Olympics. Some doctors think this is already an endemic after being a pandemic for 2 years and that everybody's going to get it including my physicians assistant who said the same thing about omakron. I hope my physicians assistant was exaggerating because these poor medical staffs everywhere in the world are probably being worked to death. Sad. They are real heroes.

Scott512

Mikaela Shiffrin tested positive a month ago, followed ********* protocols where she was in Europe, and just had her final race before the Olympics in Italy yesterday.

2 Hungarian male short track speed skaters and 2 Norwegian female cross country skiiers all tested positive this week before they were scheduled to fly to China - articles are linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-news-articles-etc.108615/page-5#post-6175734
They have to follow the rules of the country they're in so there's still hope the Hungarians in Hungary can join their squad, who left today, as long as they can provide 5 consecutive days of negative tests; but the Norwegians, who are in Italy, have to isolate for 10 days (until Feb. 3) so it doesn't look good for them.
Thank you for that detailed information and articles. I am hoping they all get healthy test negative and get to go to the games. But time is running out for the lot of these athletes that are testing positive.

These unbelievably fit and young athletes are really getting hammered by O. :( Well the world is getting hammered too but you would think the youngest and healthiest with the strongest immune systems would be the most immune to any of these variants.

I am hoping all of these figure skating countries or whatever sport it is get to send alternates permits just in case maybe a week after the performing athletes arrive.

Does anyone know if Liza and Maya are going as alternates?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I've been waiting for the results of my pcr test for 6 days. I think I'm negative but I don't know for sure. What these athletes are going through with their testing is 100 times tougher than what I'm waiting on the because their careers their hopes their dreams their lifes work are basically on the line from a nasal swab.

That's sad I still think if an athlete test positive but has no symptoms and then test negative in a couple days I think they should be allowed to continue to the Olympics. Some doctors think this is already an endemic after being a ********* for 2 years and that everybody's going to get it including my physicians assistant who said the same thing about omakron. I hope my physicians assistant was exaggerating because these poor medical staffs everywhere in the world are probably being worked to death. Sad. They are real heroes.
I am wondering if the O goes detected as negative for the C test? One of my friends had symptoms without fever and she got tested for C but it was negative. She has recovered. What if an athlete, after going to Beijing has flu like symptoms but tests negative to C, will they allow them to compete (if they are physically capable)? I believe the Olympic rules are for only the C testing daily.

I really hope StepBuk will be able to compete this time, regardless of where they place. It will be nice if they win a TE medal.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I caught it from holding my baby granddaughter who caught it at daycare, after being careful for two years. So many people have O- crud breakthrough infections that just a ride on an airport shuttle can do it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You can be told what strain it is though, D or O for example. We are really veering off topic...
To bring it back to the Olympic athletes, this means that if they test positive, regardless of which one they have (D/O/original), they are out of their competition if it is within 7(?) days. They have to test negative for several days in a row, to be eligible, right?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I hope they plan to wrap those girls in cellophane.
Bubble wrap? Cellophane is kind of sticky and it would be hard to breathe. :lol:

A related question - what if it is the new O- variant, will it show up as the C?
Yes. At this point. But it depends. See below.

Omicron is still c0v1d, and that's how it is diagnosed. There is no separate test for it.
But some anti-gen tests can't detect omicron. The PCR test can detect it though.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
To bring it back to the Olympic athletes, this means that if they test positive, regardless of which one they have (D/O/original), they are out of their competition if it is within 7(?) days. They have to test negative for several days in a row, to be eligible, right?
If they test positive once in Beijing but are asymptomatic, they go into isolation. They can be discharged if they test negative on two consecutive PCR tests at least 24 hours apart. Depending on timing, they still might be able to compete.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But it is incredible that opportunities of a lifetime at the Olympics are going down the tubes for many athletes. It's not for torn ligaments or fractures or concussions but a *****. :(

Ice is slippery and things happen. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the ***** but sometimes getting to the Olympics is more about luck and circumstance than anything else.

pointbleu

Even the experts in the field have said that you Can get it, even if you do everything right - fully vaxed, mask, social distancing. I know a couple of friends on fb that caught it despite doing everything right. Even the K95 masks don't protect 100 percent. It is a scientifically known fact. The only saving Grace is you don't have to be in a hospital If you do those right things. Just yesterday a friend told me that her friend who was fully faxed, masked, etc., got a serious C. Some luck is involved here, or may be genes.

It doesn't mean one should not be careful. One has to do everything possible to protect oneself, but don't assume it cannot happen to them. Even Dr. Faucci said couple weeks ago that everyone will get the O Because it spreads extremely fast. I hope he is wrong in his prediction.
I work in the medical field, procedure mask, worked with Covid patients. That is said, whatever it needs should the athletes be doing if that means wearing N95 or not seeing nobody at all. KN95 have always been controversial.

BittyBug

Disgusted
If you wear a mask and cut down your social contacts, you won’t get it. That’s simple like that.
Sorry but this is simply not true with the O variant. I am vaccinated, received my booster, and go nowhere except to the supermarket once a week, where I am fully masked and keep my distance, and I got it. And that's after managing to avoid it for almost two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information